Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally got me a "family car"...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LOWFOMOCO, Nov 15, 2009.

1. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been trying to fing a car that the whole family could enjoy and I guess I was in the right place at the right time. I have had my eye on this on for a while and I finally decided to find out if it could be bought. Turns out it was a one owner car that was bought new in 1964 from our local Ford dealership. I bought the car from the original owners daughter. She told me that the car has been garage kept its entire life......... 390 with the 3 on the tree set up....no power anything. Black on Red...could not pass it up. I am looking forward to some good time with the family in this one. Let me know what you think. The first four pictures are just after it was driven out from under the shed...the rest are after I got it to the house...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After a bath...
    [​IMG]

2. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

sweet! time for a family vacation

3. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

4. Old61

Old61
    from PA

Whadda ya wanna tool around in that ol junk fer? Sumbuddy done tore up da seats an all! I'll send the hook out fer it and clean up yer driveway.
    Nice score!

5. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

I like it.
    If it were mine..grey center five spokes

6. nice score. I just got a really nice 1964 pontiac grand prix today full gauges and all.

7. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk

Some upholstery and a buff and you're rollin with the fam. :D

8. dakotajayne

dakotajayne
    from 3c1

You can seat four across front and rear, how many are in your family? All that baby needs are come cool wheels and a four gear! I noticed your garage isnt insulated and im envyous.have fun!

9. brocluno

brocluno

Great find - you done well. The 390 FE motor is a good hauler. Won't be gas friendly unless you watch the tune-up very close. This is great car. Tough as nails and comfortable too :)

The 3 speed is prolly the all syncro C5AZ with cast iron case? Prolly the toughest 3 speed anyone ever put in a passenger car. If it is, it's a great tranny. Ford offered a floor shift option with console and with just the bench seat. Fenton also made a straight line shifter for it - Fenton 500. But keeping it on the column is way cool. Should have the 9" rear end too? Lots of gear choices :)

One step up on the motor was the 406 (bored 390) with three dueces or with 2 four barrels. We ran both in our SS car (one year earlier) and it was about an even match. Single four barrel for the street would be soooo much easier to keep tuned.

I'd be changing all the fluids. You can go to 75W synthetic for the tranny and rear gear. It'll help a smidge with mileage and life. If you have some extra coin after those old fluids are washed out with the new, you can do another change and put in RedLine gear oil. It will be like effortless shift :)

The surge tank seems are leaking. I'd get that puppy done asap at the radiator shop. Look for weeping freeze plugs. These motors break the oil pump drive shaft when you rev them over about 4500 :( And the factory hex shaft will just break again next time you do it. Get some Un-Breako brand long allen wrenches the same size (can't remember, been too many years, maybe 5/16 or 3/8?) and cut them to length when you have to do the job. Never another problem :)

There are some truck exhaust manifolds that flow better than the logs on there. Tight fit, but they seal up nice and are quiet, but they will allow the beast to breath a bit :)

This thing brings back so many memories - way to go :)

10. Draggin wagon

Draggin wagon

I miss my 62! Theres somethin about them old fords you know!!! Good find foresure!

11. hvychvy

hvychvy

Sweeeeet,looks like its in really nice shape.Congrats!!!!

12. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Nice "new" ride !

13. nice score! cleaned up great!

14. 76ironhead

76ironhead

Great find the family is gonna enjoy that sweet ride

15. rick goetz

rick goetz

Most importantly, Get those old tires off because they are just ready to blow. I know from experience. Great find. I wish I had found it first.

16. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

That was Mom's first car - have fun with it!

17. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

looks like she cleaned up pretty nice. throw a buff job on there and drive it.

congrats.

18. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

wonder what they were towing with that hitch?

19. mundog64

mundog64
    from 90717

congrats on that beauty

20. fisher_man_matt

fisher_man_matt

Great score. Congrats.

21. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Man ,I've always love that model ford,

and that one is in great shape,love it nice for the family ride,

You guys will be cruising in high cotton..

22. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

That car is awesome... Great score! I drove a '64 Galaxie XL year-round '95-'97, while I was in high school. Sun, rain, snow, it saw it all... GREAT cars.

If you have any other questions about disc brakes, or any other parts that you want to replace or rebuild, just let me know. I can certainly help you out!

Malcolm

23. moTthediesel

moTthediesel

Very cool!

When I was a kid there was an eccentric old guy in my little town who had one just like it, but with wire wheels, maybe Kelsey Hays?

The same dude used to take up the collection at church on Sunday with his service Colt 45 strapped on his hip :D

24. forddragracer

forddragracer

the combo you have there was a coveted set up in the nascar ranks in its' day. sleek and FAST.....

hell of a find. i'm jealous

25. Ava Mae Hot Rods

Ava Mae Hot Rods
    from Fresno, CA

26. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Neat car. Drove one for a while when I was in high school. A little maintenance, a few upgrades, a little personalization, and you will have a bitch'n ride.

27. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Nice find. I had almost the same thing but an X/L four speed and it was a good ride. The family will love riding around in that.

28. Chuck R

Chuck R

I have always loved the 64 ford. Go find some old stock car pics from then, the fords looked incredible.

[​IMG]

29. Nice car. Not sure about putting synthetics in it, but I would change it all and put Lucas oil in the rear end, trans and engine! Tune it up, check the belts and hoses...along with the brakes and go for a spin.

Great find and good luck on the car.

P.S.: I have 2 of em, and hope to get to them soon.

30. James66g

James66g

Man them galaxies are junk but your in luck ill take it off your hands no charge! 64 is always been among my favorites! Good score and cant wait to see what you do with her!