Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Finally Got an A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by belair, Mar 11, 2015.

1. belair

belair

While that doesn't describe much of my academic career, this pertains to my new coupe. I figured it was my last best shot at one, so I jumped on it. It's obviously a child of the nineties, but the cosmetics are easy to fix. It has only been driven 2900 miles in fifteen years. New (Napa crate) 351 Cleveland, new TCI C-4, Heidt's front end, a 2 & 3/4 inch chop and a Jag rear end. I will be putting my 3x2 322 nailhead and a 700 r4 in it, and sell the Ford drivetrain. Thinking of Washington or a navy blue, or maybe a dark eggplant. Going for an early to mid sixties vibe with the right width white walls, maybe pie crusts on the back. Wheels will either be red with full size wheel covers, or mags front and rear or possibly 12 spokes up front and mags on the back. I know some of it isn't period perfect, but I'm shooting for period, not perfect. Any ideas that don't inolve me selling it to you are welcome.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    patmanta and volvobrynk like this.
  2. That'll work, love the sound of a nailhead with minimal exhaust.

3. Sounds like you have a plan to rectify the ugly wheels & paint.

Let the fun begin. HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. Funrunr

Funrunr

Wheels and paint are obvious necessities! I think a little rake always looks cool on the A's

dentisaurus likes this.

5. mjcat

mjcat

Congrats on getting your A !!

6. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Wow, that thing is REALLY 90's! It's like a time capsule! You should document it thoroughly as you go through it so you have a good set of BEFORE pictures to show how much of a difference you make (down to the details). What's the interior look like?

Are you going to keep the IFS or take it back to a solid axle? If you're going to keep it and want a more period look, spraying some black over that yellow paint will go a long way toward un-highlighting the MII.

7. belair

belair

Yeah, black paint will be a staple of the re-do. That yellow is pretty bad. I don't think we will be going back to this look in 20 years. The IFS will stay, the front apron and a Deuce bumper will help hide it.The interior is a pair of dirty Geo Metro buckets and foil backs bubble wrap. A mini van back seat is planned for the interior.

8. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Nice car...although the wheels aren't speakin' to me at all....I agree with you about the whitewalls as a nicer look...and that particular colour is not healthy for that car, in my humble opinion....but I think a deep navy blue would look pretty awesome....have fun with it!!!:)

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Sounds like you have some good plans.. A's are cool...

10. Drive'em

Drive'em

I did a similar thing to my 29 coupe several years back. Man, it made it look like a whole different car. You've got a plan, now work it and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Drive the hell out of it.