Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally got a project car..... 1950 Shoebox Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaysix, Dec 6, 2007.

1. jaysix

jaysix

Well I finally got a car to work on. Its a 1950 Ford 2 door with the flathead in it. My question is, how much am I looking at for a rebuild on the engine. It was running and driving but the guy Im getting it off of took it all apart. He has all the original stock parts for the engine but I would like to freshen it up a bit. Also, the body is in really good shape aside from the rockers and floor. Where is a decent place to get the replacement rockers? Im not worried about the floor because I can make that myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks O yeah, once I get it to my house I will take some pics.

2. jaysix

jaysix

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Parts alone will be a grand, plus you'll want to upgrade the water pumps, put on multiple carbs, new clutch, $2k would be a conservative guess. Depends really on how much machine work it will need, sleeved cylinders. You might be money ahead to get one of the french flatties to put in?

I don't know who has the best deals, Egge, speedway or Mac's, Maybe an Alliance vendor could hook you up?

4. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

you can go to www.shoeboxford.com for the rockers they have nice ones there. as for a rebuild on the motor that is going to depend on what you want done to it.

5. And how much of the work you can do yourself. There's a receipt in the car I just bought for a $6,000 engine rebuild.

6. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

Congrats!! NAPA should have the parts for a flattie rebuild. Find a local builder,preferebly an oldtimer with flatty experience..If you plan on hotrodding it,use the high dollar parts,otherwise standard parts will be fine,for a cruiser. Convert it to 12v. and make it reliable,so it will be enjoyable,not a p.i.t.a...

7. Nappy

Nappy
    from York, PA