Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally Got a Henry J

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swade41, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Congrats.....fun little cars! It looks like a fairly solid car. Mine was a 53 "trunk car" and I enlisted the help of a buddy with a truck and trailer to go get it...we had to wait 'till sunset to load it because he said he didn't want anybody to see that "ugly" car on his trailer..brought it to my place after dark..

2. I got the little J back from the fab shop on Friday and I like it !

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Clik

Clik

So, what's the rules on cages these days?

4. Looking good, Phil! You rich guys got it made,-MIKE:eek::D:p

5. jammersspeed

jammersspeed
    from herman mn.

looking good!!! great henry j ! love those cars, i have had 4 and own 3 now.

6. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky

:)WOW! it looks great. You have a good start to making a gasser. I always wanted a Henry J.

7. You don't need one if it's 7.51 or slower in the eighth, the side bars need to be higher than your elbow while in driving position, the main hoop higher than your helmet. These were plated at the foot and welded to the floor.
    Best to check the rule book for how fast you plan on going.

8. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Lookin' great!!
    Any time table on completion ??

9. rodknocker

rodknocker

Phil, thats badass, can't wait to see you and the Z bros for some duelling Henry J's!!

10. Not really, I go as my budget dictates, of course I hope to be ready for the first race in May..lol I still have some expensive things to purchase and that takes time to get the funds together. Off the top of my head I need to buy a header kit, slicks,shorten the drive shaft, figgure out the fuel tank and radiator, plus windshield rubber etc...etc...

He will whip my ass, they are totaly redoing the car from engine to rear, they moved the engine back 10 inches in that thing ! Better keep an eye out for that one and a few others getting "overhauled".

11. violet springs

violet springs

Hope to see you at Thompson this June.

12. I had a half an hour to work on the car yesterday, so I figured pulling the intake and test fitting the tunnel ram was in order. The t-ram said screw you I'm not fitting with that firewall.
    Today I had two hours so I got a look at what needed done.
    Carbs hit firewall and the bolts don't line up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got out the measuring tape, green tape and the cut off wheel, and let the sparks fly.
    Test fit once again and right on
    [​IMG]

So of course I had to drag out the scoop for a test fit, I freaking love it !

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

You handled that the right way!

14. I spent a couple days last week finishing up the hole I cut out, nothing fancy.

[​IMG]

a look at the room at the rear

[​IMG]

Today I spent my three hrs radiusing the wheel wells, not finished but they're cut. I'm going to be using these rims and was happy the way they poke out there just enough.
    I was trying to figure out a way to mark these for the cut and kept getting a roaming line. I used the old kiss method and it worked out great, pretty easy after the fact...lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

broke out the sawsall and cut away, not sure what I'm doing about the indent on the lower quarter yet

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

16. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

Neat little car! I love the direction your headed with it.

17. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Damn that looks Fun!

18. C6-Jack

C6-Jack
    from Greece, NY

Looks like your making some nice progress. Neat radius trick.

Wanted to ask, what kind of headers did you wind up with? I'm looking for alternatives to custom too.

19. I didn't get headers yet, I was on line looking this morning until I was crossseyed. Trying to look at the tubes in each kit and visualise the shape out of their supplied bends was enough to drive me out in the garage.
    I'm leaning towards these, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PTE-H8011/ , looks like the best for tube length. Might go with the 1 5/8's tube size to, my engine builder said the bigger the better which would be the 1 3/4's though.

20. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

i love how this thing is coming together. awesome!

21. The little J is coming a long really nice. I like the way you laid out the cut on the wheel openings. Get that header kit and we'll make those headers.

22. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

ALRIIIIGHT,ya radiused the rear quarters NOOW she's really coming to life man! :)

23. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Looks great! I would get a hammer and dolly and flatten that indent on the quarter, trim it as necessary, a little filler, smooth it out and shooter black.

Where in Canada did this come from? Just curious.

24. That's what I plan on doing with that spot, it would just look so much better. I bought the car out of the Bellville area, but was in the Toronto area prior as well. The previous owner had did a title search and it showed being in Canada as far back as 2000, which is when they started keeping those kind of records.

25. Found a spool for my open 4.11 center, it was 20 bucks and looks new ! Talked to the guy who put the locker in my t-bucket 9in and he said drop it off Monday. Now to get the longer studs for the axles and have him do the bearings and all while it's over there.
    I tried to flatten that spot on the quarter and it looks like it's flared ahead of that too. I think I'm just going to cut that out and put a new piece in there. I'm going to hit Home Depot tomorrow to see what they have for making a lip around the radius cut.

26. Hey Swade;
    Looking good.....I like it all ready..

I would make sure you cut the 1/4 panel high enough to clear.
    when you launch,it's gonna drop
    have a look at Derrick Hyper Henry that runs with us..it's cut a little higher that you have marked out..

Look forward to seeing you on track.

Rick

27. I plan on running a 28 X 10 slick to get the most out of those 4.11's and right now it has 2 1/2 inches clearence. You think I may need more Rick ?

[​IMG]

28. Swade;

You can always crank the coil overs a little if it launches to soft..

Looking good..'

Rick
    =============================================

29. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

i run 10.5w 31s on this , and i cut it at 32 inches across.

you are makin great progress on it, love it, keep up the good work and pics

Attached Files:

30. So your cut being higher cut out that part of the fender then ? I swear I cut mine at 32 also, 16 inches off the center of the axle. Yours must be way lower than mine in the back too.