Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally Got a Henry J

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swade41, Oct 3, 2010.

1. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Swade, Looks like a good - no GREAT start to a Gasser ! Looks like you will be having some fun.

2. Small update on the parts chasing, I have the engine at the machine shop, 40 over flat tops with a thin head gasket. We are shooting for a 10 to 1 motor for pump gas with a solid cam in the 540ish range. I also picked up a 10 inch TCI converter so I need to get to setting that motor back about 5 inches to check for header clearence.

3. 69fury

69fury

CANT WAIT to see this bad boy rocket off the line!!!!

4. Me neither, I just hope it all works out to make a decent running car and if it does we all will look like heros...lol
    Even moving the engine back as far as that recessed firewall allows is still not even close to 10%. The front plug will still be ahead of the spindle, for 10% that engine would be in the front seat !

5. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Very nice find. I love Henry J's
    Good for you.
    Hope it lives up to what you want it to.
    I am sure it will !
    Cheers,
    Bob

6. Wahoooo!!!! Gotta love em'

7. And how is this is a problem ?-MIKE:D

8. Not a lot going on, the garage is colder than the freezer in the house. Stopped by the machine shop to check out the new engine, they sure are pretty when everything is clean and fresh.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I bought some fenderwell headers in the classifieds and looks like the firewall will need a bit of work for those to fit. I figure that's easier than making a set of headers, slow and steady I guess.

9. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks great, Phil !

10. So much for that "back burner" idea! Gotta love a fresh engine.-MIKE:eek::D

11. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

So is it coming to Thompson this year?

12. I sure hope so, if this weather would break it would help a lot. I just traded the grill for a windsheild so one more piece crossed off. The problem is I have a lot of pieces now that aren't put together.

13. Keep up the good work Swade..Look forward to seeing it at Empire.

Rick
    ===================================

14. Monkeying around with engine locations today in the J. The fenderwell headers I bought just aren't going to make it. If I move the engine back enough for the collectors to fit behind the tire the tunnel ram won't fit at the cowl. I think the engine would be back past the dash and that still wouldn't be 10 % in this sucker.
    Right now it sits at 21 1/2 inches at crank centerline to floor and that leaves good clearence for the stock steering arms under the sump of the oil pan. I may lower it a bit to make sure the distributor will come out. I'm running a small cap point style not the hei, it has about 4 inches of clearence over the top of the hei now.
    Before engine location
    [​IMG]

and current mockup

[​IMG]

distributor behind factory firewall

[​IMG]

that puts the second plug close to spindle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

16. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Is that an airplane barber's chair in your shop you sit in to study your 'J' ? Ha Ha... Can't wait to see it in a few months.....

17. Ha ha, that's where I sit to rest my back from the torture of working on these things. I thought this car was going to be easy but here it is coming apart...lol
    The higher I make that motor the less I'll have bend over, maybe I'll just sit it on top of the hood next, ha ha now I'm thinking !

18. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Bitch'n start ... ya need one of those large mailbox sized backwards scoops ....

I scribed.

PACO

19. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

i dunno phil, there is alot of room in that engine bay, may be it's time to put a big block in there...

20. oldskool555657

oldskool555657
    from Texas

Very nice car,for years you couldnt find them down here but it seems like the have been everywhere here lately and cheap under 1000 bucks for complete cars

21. bcharlton

bcharlton
    from Buffalo NY

is it true that you could have ordered a Henry J from a Sears catalog in the 1050s? An old skool rodder told me that last night?

BC

22. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

They were called " Allstates " I think

23. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

Man, your garage has to be pretty crowded with another toy. Bad ass car - hope to see you at Thompson.

24. It would fit but if I do up a hairy big block I'll just swap for the one in the truck, much easier...lol

ha ha, I've changed some things around since you were here. The T sedan body and a chassis went, plus the 64 VW bus. I also took down a wall and room in the old apartment so that opened up another 8 X 8 floor section on the one side. There's nothing behind the J on that side, everything is down the middle...lol

25. 57283

Congrats, I know you are excited! Looks real solid too.

26. chriseakin

chriseakin

In the 1950s, yes. In the 1050s you would have been looking at flesh and blood horsepower, not gasoline fueled.
    Chris

27. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

There have been 2 or 3 sold out of Ontario in the past 6 months. I am sort of looking for one, but am still finishing up on the wagon. I have heard of two around but nothing concrete yet. Nice bunch of Henry J's, thanks for sharing.

28. ironpile

ironpile

Man,I should be so lucky.I think I`m going to be shutout because I destroyed one in 66 in a fit of anger. I have since mellowed out but am learning to be happy with my 48, "my avatar".

29. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Always one of my favorites, cool, good luck.

30. 94hoghead

94hoghead

looks like a very cool project!