Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally Got a Henry J

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swade41, Oct 3, 2010.

1. 64 Thunderbolt

64 Thunderbolt

Sorry Swade! Since that was temporary I thought you might be using something else.

2. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

Swade,
    tell us about the brake caliper brackets. The brackets I've made in the past get more complicated (more work). I use late model GM front rotors on a 9 inch ford rearend with '75 Impala front calipers. Works great, just a lot more grinding making the brackets that the ones you have. maybe I've been working too hard. LOL

3. Saxxon

Saxxon

Cool build. looks badass at the show. Can't wait until you run it. It's cars / builds like yours that make me consider making the Scout street legal. Then common sence and my bank account step in and bring me back to reality

You get an "Atta-boy" for that you bud...

4. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  5. That's the one I'm using except I am using a GM rotor and I have drilled my hub for the 4 3/4 bolt pattern. You use the stock Henry J spindle, hub and bearings.
    My drill press has encounterd a wobble so I had the guy that built the gas tank to make the brackets for me http://www.eztbucket.com/ using those patterns.

6. thanks man, I just hope this thing can pull the wheels like you

7. Saxxon

Saxxon

Nothing a concrete filled rear bumper wouldn't make happen...

I find that the Scout stands itself on the bumper only when I hit it off the trans brake (4600 launch) Off idle it just squats and drives your head into the rear window carrying the front wheels a few inches off the track.

Not sure how it will react this year with more power and completely different power band. (longer and higher). won't know until May. Hopefully I'll have it back on the bumper for the Meltdown drags.

If you're there man we gotta match up for a pass

Cheers

8. Very cool!

I like it!

Sam

9. 64 Thunderbolt

64 Thunderbolt

You'll are going to have to tape this!

10. remember my thread about that http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515706

I've got to cut my teeth on this car before I go match racing....lol
    It does make for great bench racing trying to figure out what it may or may NOT do out on the track. novabbc donated some way better slicks to me which are the same size as the ones I have. His car was turning a 1.30 60ft time with them last year so those should help in this crazy quest for speed.

11. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Phil, I was bummed that missed seeing you at the show on Saturday, but your car is spot on! It really looks good and you can be proud of the work you've done on it.

12. Hey Phil, the car sounded great when you fired it up after the show. I was waiting for some parking lot high jinx when you pulled out, maybe next time?

13. The water temp hadn't even got off the 140 mark, maybe if it had more heat in the engine. The oil was right up there at 80 pounds, I was looking but didn't want to chance it on a cold engine.
    I was surprised a seasoned guy like Darryl hit the rpms as soon as he fired. I was waiting for the rods to jump ship, I was like wtf is he thinking ???...lol

edit: turn signals are wired in and the parking light part works, now onto the turn signal switch it's self

14. When Darryl fired that thing up there was a little kid in a stroller right next to the car. When I looked over I think the kid was having a stroke or something and the mother looked pretty pissed, they both got the shit scared out of them. I don't blame you one bit for not doing any thing stupid.

15. Ha ha, I bet she was pissed.
    I forget the guy's name that has the green bullit nose stude that lives out in Boston but I got him good. He was standing between me and the nova with a couple guys, I walked between them and flipped the battery switch on the way around the back of the car. I gave it a pump of gas, turned the key then hit the starter button and KA---BOOM it lit right off. He must have jumped about 6 inches and was bringing his arm up across his chest out of harms way like something was gonna get him. It was realy funny, well to me anyhow, I was sitting there having a pretty good laugh about it...lol

16. hotrod_tommy

hotrod_tommy

Oh, HENRY ! I, too have another "J" and loving it. Decided I needed more tire, not cutting the fenders, so had to go inboard 4-inches each side.
    Underway. Wish me better than luck!
    hrt - Iowa

Attached Files:

17. Good luck with it man, is that a jeep gas tank ?

I did get my wiring finished up on the horn,turn,brake,hazard and headlights. Now onto the exhaust !

18. Clik

Clik

Thanks for posting those pics. It sure helps when I've lost the reference points on my rusty J.

19. So I've gotten a little more confidence in this new engine. I had it running the other day and actually revved it for the first time since being back in the car. It was good while holding the throttle at 2 grand and whacking the throttle, it went right to 5500 no problem. Now off idle whack it showed the dreaded two four bog.
    Yesterday I repositioned the accelerator pump cams up to the second hole and redid the pump arm setting to compensate for that change. Since I added the turn signal switch all the directionals and brake lights work so off into the street for a little test.
    Now I didn't get all crazy with it but did take it up the street and back, seems to run good. I did give the throttle a quick whack and it blew the slicks loose and wagged the tail, so it's getting there. The drive was way to short but will be longer as soon as I get plates on it !

20. Patience grasshopper. May 19th will come soon enough.

21. What's opening day for test and tune Art ?
    I pulled the shooters out of that spare 650 dp which were 28's, I figured that's 3 sizes up from the stock 25's in the 450's. Sneak up on the shooter size and had them here anyway. Well low and behold I pulled the shooters out of one of the 450's and someone already switched them to 31's.
    What a major pain in the ass to get the front shooter back in the 650 dp with the choke flap. I must have dropped the washer a dozen times down onto the throttle plate, good thing it wasn't on a car. I also went and got some 6 inch by 3 inch tall air cleaner elements to fit inside the scoop for street driving.

22. So I decided to cut my drivers side header apart to get some needed clearance in the left turn category. I thought I could live with the shorter turning radius but not really, pain in the ass just getting it in the garage.
    I took a break from that and went to the Gasser Racing Series meeting last night, joined that for the upcoming year. Pretty excited about getting the car out and having at it again with the boys.
    Today I trimmed the tubes and angle cut them as well get that collector tucked in. I don't want to go as far as rebuilding the toe board but it looks like I'll get a full turn on this side as well. I got three of the four tubes lined up in the flange and need to make a section on the fourth. Hopefully tomorrow I will get that done and behind me !

23. I got that header done and now have full left turn just like the stock car boys or anyone with a normal car, ha.
    before
    [​IMG]

after, much better
    [​IMG]

Doesn't look like much work but with pie cuts on the rear tube, wedge cut on the rear 3 tubes and a new section on the front tube. Plus cleaning out the inside of the flange to get the pipes back in and turning round pipes into square, it was kind of a pain but well worth it !

[​IMG]

24. 64 Thunderbolt

64 Thunderbolt

25. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Nice resolve to get better turning, keep up the build story :).

26. Not much left to build now, just that disc brake conversion on the front. I just want to go race !

27. Whhoooaaaaa Nellie

Got one side pretty much done other than taking every thing back apart and painting the bracket. I found a little article about how to convert the drums to disc using the stock spindle and hub. Now of course nothing went like it said it would, I wouldn't mind of having my own machine shop sometimes.
    I had to re-drill the bolt pattern to 4 3/4, take a bit of the outer hub down to fit inside the hat style rotor and shim the caliper brackets. Of course the parts list was wrong on a couple of years too, what's a typo when when you have to drive back and forth to the parts store. No big deal right....WRONG..it sucked, but looks like I got it straightened out. But really who writes down you need 78 camaro calipers when it's really 85 !

out with the old drums, these things wouldn't stop a turtle and they adjust like the old fords

[​IMG]

the itsy shoes

[​IMG]

stripped and ready for the new caliper brackets cut out of 3/8's plate

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. The brackets needed a little clearencing, as compared to the patterns of course but the 85 calipers bolted up at least.

[​IMG]

After turning the hub down by hand it also fit inside the rotor, about a kazillion trial fits there.

[​IMG]

Everything looks pretty centered but also looks like I'll need to remove the caliper to bleed it.

[​IMG]

It does clear my rims which a good thing !

[​IMG]

I know, I know....I got free plans and bitched about them..lol

29. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

:DLove your ride .

30. Thanks, I did a lot more to it than I ever thought I would in the short time I've owned it. Damn old cars taking up all your time and money.....