Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finally getting started on my 54 Olds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by batt69nova, Mar 7, 2011.

1. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

Got the steel for fabbing new floors today and I'm very excited to dig in-hopefully that will be this weekend.

For those curious about the car, it's a '54 Holiday 88 (or is it supposed to be said '54 Olds 88 Holiday?) with a Ultra Hi Comp 394 and trans from a Starfire. My wife and I picked it up nearly a year ago so we'd have something to work on and cruise in together.

It needs a lot of help, due to sitting in the weeds up here in the PNW, but, they aren't making any more of these, and we wanted to save it.

I looked around for repop floor parts (it needs everything from the rear seat partition to the toe boards) and braces, and finally decided to just tackle all the work by fabbing them. I'll have the help of a friend of mine who runs a welding shop, and hopefully have the advice of my father in law, who is quite skilled in hotrodding. That being said, anyone who has made a replacement floor from scratch and wants to share a tale or two (good or bad), I'd love to hear it.

Here's a few pics of the car (I'll post more as things get exciting):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

cool car, the floors are available they arnt the best but they do exist. they also make a full trunk pan too. ckeck out ebay i see them on there alot. good luck with your build.........................................john

3. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

Fortunately, the trunk is PERFECT, but the floors more than make up for that:(

I looked at a few vendors and decided that since my labor is cheap, and repop panels aren't, that I'd try to make it myself. Seems like all the repro panels I've purchased require so much tweaking, I didn't want to spend $$$ on floor pans and then have to monkey with them. It'll be a good experience (hopefully) to bend and bead the floor pans myself.

I am also going to try to bend out new rockers for it.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  4. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

makes good sence, the pans usually arnt big enought for what u need anyway..glad to see another olds being saved................john

5. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

I'm glad to be saving it! I have not seen very many around, so I think it will be cool to have something different to cruise in when it's roadworthy.

6. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Good luck with your build. And thanks from me too for saving another tri-five Olds.....................

7. SuddenDeath

SuddenDeath
    from Florida

That is such a cool bodystyle...will look awesome when you're finished!

8. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

Thanks, I'm excited to be working on it. I think the dash is especially cool.