Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally doing something w/ my Studebaker.... OT?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46stude, Oct 27, 2007.

1. 46stude

46stude

I've been around the HAMB for a little while, & have had several different ideas & half-assed starts on my '46 Stude M5 pick-up truck project. Everything from a steel wheeled, wide whites & hot rod- raked cruiser to a nose high straight axled would-be gasser. But nothing ever panned out as far as actually getting motivated to build the damned truck.

After posting about going the gasser route w/ it back in '06, Chili Phil made a comment to me that really stuck in my head... "A '46 Stude deserves a better fate than to become a poser gasser."
    Thank you, Chili Phil- I think you were absolutely correct.

So, I finally figured out what the fate of the truck was gonna be a few months back, & have been getting at least a little something done to it on a regular basis.....

'69 F350 rolling chassis, shortened to 120" wheelbase
    Ford 300 six cylinder, 5 speed
    Stretching the bed 10" or so
    Big-truck fenders (2" wider & have larger openings for the tires)
    Paint will be flat brown

I'm gonna try to keep it pretty simple- no power windows, fancy paint, tilt GM column, or high $$$$ tech stuff. The 300 I have for it has EFI, but other than that, I'm gonna try to stick w/ the "old work truck" feel & look.

I guess now it kinda falls into the "shop truck" genre. Not sure if it "belongs" on the HAMB anymore, but I figured I'd post up some info & see what some of you guys & ladies think.

[​IMG]

2. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

I like it!! I have a 1950 Stude on a S-10 chassis.

3. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That Chili Phil is an endless stream of philosophical outpourings. :D

I really like that Studebaker a lot. I think you went the right direction. And support vehicles are very much a part of hot rodding, I dare you to find drag or salt event coverage without a rig in it.

4. Thumper

Thumper

That Stude makes for a bitchin dually !

5. David Chandler

David Chandler

Build it. Who cares what other people think! From the picture it looks as if you have a good platform to start from. At least you aren't trying to find odd ball body parts and garnish moldings.
    Good Luck!

6. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Have fun, and post pix.

7. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

With a Holmes or WeldBilt boom and bulkhead, an electric winch and a sling, you'd have a vintage tow truck. It's sweet as-is though..

Jan

8. 46stude

46stude

9. 46stude

46stude

Well, I have an F600 winch truck, so I really don't need a little one-ton wrecker. I do think it would look killer hauling a vintage racer on a trailer, though. :D

10. old-idaho-iron

old-idaho-iron

Do yo still have the m5 1/2 ton fenders???

11. 46stude

46stude

Yep, but this project idea went away about 2 yrs back. Its currently once again in limbo & back on its stock chassis.

Attached Files:

• M5a.jpg
      M5a.jpg
      File size:
      130 KB
      Views: