Register now to get rid of these ads!

FINALLY, Burning oil mystery solved on fresh motor!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A-Bomb, Oct 13, 2003.

1. A-Bomb

A-Bomb

Several months ago I asked the HAMB for suggestions on why our freshly built SBC was smoking a little and using a LOT of oil. After checking everyones ideas by doing a leak down test, cylinder pressure test, motor vacumm test,checking valve seals,checking PCV system,etc.,etc., etc. I couldnt find a problem. I talked to several people including Deuce Roadster. He loaned me an old intake to sit down on my motor as mine(a brand new edelbrock!) just didnt feel right when I put the motor together. Well his fit like a glove even without any gaskets while my new one "flopped around like a fish" between the heads without the gaskets. I first assumed that the intake had been machined wrong from the factory...then...another friend of ours slid the intake back an inch or so and it settled right into place!! UREKA! The back rail of the intake was the problem, After close measuring we found that the rear rail that seals against the block was bent down about .030 and was bottoming out before the gaskets sealed around the intake ports good! Evidently the intake was dropped on its end at the factory after the maching process slightly bendind down the thin area right behind the dist. boss. THANKS EDELBROCK!!! After some work with a course aluminum file the intake fits and seals up good and we are riding again. See you at GOODGUYS,CHARLOTTE. My son and I will be in a yellow 60s style highboy "A" coupe. Dale

2. jerry

jerry

see, it's them new parts that'll get ya!

glad to here that you got it figured out.

jerry

3. That was exactly what I thought the problem was! I just didn't say so.
    Didja let Elda-brock know they got a problem with their manifold handlers?

4. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

always the simple stuff that gets you.

5. BELLM

BELLM

Didja buy your friend a big steak? Or maybe a case of cold beverage? I love it when lifes little mysteries are solved. Gonna check that used performer I am about to put on my 350 real close. [​IMG]