Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally bought a Coupe, building a Banger!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FourBangNCanuck, Jul 20, 2011.

1. search out Chris on the hamb also
    he had a bitchen 30 coupe that was not chopped
    hopped up b
    lowered front and back
    i think its on the other side of the pond now though
    tk

2. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Here is mine in the mock up stages. Its lowered and unchopped, looks good but it could use 3" gone.
    [​IMG]

3. Elrod

Elrod

Took the coupe out today for lunch...

[​IMG]

4. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

very nice car to start with... Have fun with it

^^^^^^
    Elrod you lost your fenders
    now I can see what mine will look like with a hair cut

5. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Cool ride, and great idea...
    Keep us in pics too!
    Cheers.......

6. FourBangNCanuck

FourBangNCanuck
    from ON, Canada

This car is sick!
    What's your intake/exhaust setup?

I really like the fenderless 3" chop look man!

7. Granger Perry

Granger Perry
    from Albany, WI

Damn auto rats and there hot rods! Haha well have to go cruisin when school starts there Pete!

8. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

The best thing you can do for your engine is a high compression head.
    The best thing to made it fun to drive is a fully synchronised transmission with overdrive. I used a 84-87 F150 transmission, with my torque tube rear axle
    A dropped axle really looks good.

Attached Files:

9. rusthaug

rusthaug

Nice A, I think it needs a good chop :)

10. Elrod

Elrod

The intake is an original Thomas intake for two Stromberg carbs. They make new ones, and both new and original ones pop up on ebay from time to time.

I got a true dual exhaust from Reds Headers. It was cheap to begin with, but I didn't like the quality, so I had Bass TIG up each pipe where it went into the flange, and then when I had the exhaust done at a shop, they had to massage the fit quite a bit so that it would fit in the frame.

Thomas High Compression head (Winfield profile), B ground cam, lightened flywheel and electronic ignition.

[​IMG]

11. FourBangNCanuck

FourBangNCanuck
    from ON, Canada

Well here is a September update

The fenders and bumpers were pulled. Next came the body, interior and now the front suspension.
    Both front and rear shackle bushings are shot, transmission needs a rebuild, and my clutch is not great.
    However the engine has good compression so it will stay put.
    The plan is 32 heavy with reverse eye and maybe a leaf or two removed up front. Also reverse eye with a leaf or two removed in the rear (still want a good rake tho).
    The 35 wires are going for a powder coat next week then they will be mounted on new Firestone blackwall 550/700s shortly after.
    I have collected two beautiful BLC 682-Js with lots of patina, a Ansen dual downdraft, a old mallory off a combine (needs rebuilt) and a "B" cast police head for slightly higher compression.
    Trying to decide if I should go with '40 brakes now or not. My mechanicals worked but were very pieced together and I figure it will take more money/time than they are worth to get them right. If I convert I think I should go with 39 spindles at the same time. Im on a fence with that one.
    I still need a pair of Stromberg 81s and a exhaust setup for the banger.
    The chop will happen down the road when the body is back on and the stance is just right. I also need either a 39 banjo or 40 wheel. Does anyone know what it takes to get them to fit on a stock A column?

Im pretty new at all this so any input is appreciated!

Heres the pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

You could always keep the pre-war theme going and do a dropped A axle with mechanicals like ElRod and me did...............and yes Ed "Axle Stewart did experiment with a few dropped axled before the war ( late '38-'39)

Attached Files:

13. SvenskeRod

SvenskeRod

Glad to see the Mustang storage sheds are still being used for this kind of thing. I think more cars get restored out there than in Templeton.

I graduated in '03, best time of my life and I hope your loving it! The car looks great and your plans for it sound even better!

14. just a 33/34 axle swap for me
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. HotRodHighley

HotRodHighley
    from cincy, oh

Looks great. I love the 5" chop on mine. A little hard to see stop lights, but great otherwise. Don't listen to anyone. Do what you want. Unless its something super rare, a car is never too nice to cut up. The nicer of a car you start with the nicer and easier it will be in the long run. Congrats and keep us updated!

16. von birch

von birch

get your ass on the hamb and show off your new goodies! these folks are dying to see what you scored!

17. oldsman41

oldsman41

yeah it does need a hair cut but 4 inches is plenty iam rather short and my friends car is cut 5 inches and it is hell to drive for him he is 6 feet tall but you do it your waythat is what is great about this hobby

18. FourBangNCanuck

FourBangNCanuck
    from ON, Canada

hey guys, well after a lot of thought the banger has been put on hold. going to build that chassis next fall, found a beauty original 32 frame that i couldn't pass up and everything has changed. build thread has moved here
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=649772
    enjoy!

19. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Nice find on the frame... you might have to get a new user name:D
    Some day I will build a speedster out of my drive train
    good luck...

20. abonecoupe31

abonecoupe31
    from Michigan

I was brought up as a restorer myself....my dad's influence. This was in '73 when I bought a rolling junker from my cousin Kenny McDonough for $25. No fenders, engine, radiator, wheels or interior. I had to get another body (channeled with a torch & never finished off) for $35. Used my grandfather's '30 Tudor frame (bought new and driven until '40 & replaced with a '34 5 window coupe that got him thru WWII~another story!) & hit every swap meet for the next 3 years. FWIW I was working on it Thanksgiving holiday in '74 when I was home from college~38 years ago. Drove it as my daily driver from '77 to '78 until I put a rod thru the block! repowered the following year with a '71 Ford Pinto 2.0L 4 banger which now powers my '28 Ford A Woodie.

After dad died I did put together a chopped 2" '31 coupe that I pieced together from all of the coupe parts I collected~I saved one from the crusher! And I have been accused of "butchering" a Perfect Model A!

There's a place for everything, stockers & rods. I appreciate both but have gravitated towards being a rodder. The other day I added up all the $ I have put into my A collection (4 coupes, 2 tudors, & one woodie) & came up with an average cost of less than $200 each as an initial cost. This doesn't include stitches, bandaids, replacement parts, etc. I'll never have another old car other than a Model A. Hot in the summer, cold in the winter, and a flat out BALL to drive! It doesn't get much better than this....

Mark AKA "A-Bone"
    Abonecoupe31 on da H.A.M.B.

21. 117harv

117harv