Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally..A 40 Ford DeLuxe Coupe!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintageauto, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Hey Skid...that was not my Coupe in the photos at Jalopyrama. That guy was actually next to me in another spot. When I suggested to you (only) that I might sell the coupe...I was still on the fence about selling since buying the COMPLETED 39 Flatty Sedan...which is a really nice car. As of today, I'm still on the fence about just keeping the 39 and selling the 40 Coupe, but I'm leaning heavily toward the Coupe more and more. They just don't come along in that condition everyday.

I haven't stopped buying parts and now have everything to really get going...that includes a furnace for the garage...LOL

So, at this point, I'm fairly sure that I'm keeping both the Coupe...and the 39 till the 40 is up and running. The 39 is advertised on Racing Junk and if somebody steps up?? so be it! If not, I'll keep driving it. (we should all have that problem) Thanks again all, for the support and I'll get photos posted ASAP....

Murph:cool:

2. Hi All,

I guess I should say "ITS ABOUT TIME!".

The 40 Coupe left today for my friend's shop in Salisbury, Md to get started on the body work, primer and paint. I'll be setting up the frame and running gear here and will be going down to work on the body as well.

I have collected most of the parts we'll need...including glass from Chris Blattie and many other Hambers...thanks to all for your parts that were needed for the project. Updates will be forthcoming.

Murph
    :cool:

Attached Files:

3. Roadsir

Roadsir

Glad to hear. I look forward to seeing the build progress.

4. Glad to see you are back! Thought we had lost you. I have had 40s since the 50s and still have 4 good ones and a parts car. The Wife has an Opera coupe. Been driving my black one since 76. Gotta get to work on my SD one of these days. Keep us posted!! Should you sell it, you will have sellers remorse for the rest of your life!!

5. DD,

That is what got me going again. When I sold the 50 Woodie to get this car I said to myself....I'll never get another one! and I'd never be able to afford to buy my own car back. Well, not this time. Thanks

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Actually it is a 40 DeLuxe Coupe with Opera seats.

7. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good for you Murph--keep us updated and let me know if you need anything

8. Thanks Tim...Will do......I'm sure.

9. Will be watching the progress with much anticipation. Love those '40 Coupes......Don.

10. FEDER

FEDER

Maybe this will give Me some inspiation to work on mine. Its been setting for 3 yrs now
    Ishould have My ASS kicked

11. sololobo

sololobo

40's 40's they are so fine--how I wish that one was mine!! Had one in 58 with a 303 Olds with a 6 deuce log manifold, sold it after trying to keep it running for a few months, another classic bad move for me. ~sololobo~

12. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Good to see you back, looking forward to your build.

13. Update......The coupe body was removed from the old frame yesterday. windows were removed. Some minor body repairs are needed, but basically all it needs right now is the get the body ready for primer, block it and put it in final primer before mock up etc.

Meanwhile, I'll be getting the new frame ready....Still deciding between a Flatty or the rebuilt SBC 327 I have on hand.

More to follow, but it felt real good getting going after two years of collecting parts.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. tinmann

tinmann

[​IMG]
    Photobucket is doing strange things today.... but anywhoo, I think I've attached a shot of a '40 coupe I bought at auction two weeks ago. I have always secretly lusted after a '40 coupe and now I have (a rough) one. Congrats on the progress of your far better example. Looking forward to updates.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. F&J

F&J

That was a good price when you had it up for sale. I bet you are glad it stayed there. The body looks even better than in the ad.

16. Goodlife

Goodlife

Congratulations on your forty coupe! Like so many others, I too always wanted one and finally worked out a trade for a standard coupe. I didn't know much about what to look for and soon learned the car had been cleverly undercoated to cover up frame rust and floor boards that had more patches than you could count. This build is going to be over the top with expense as I have put new floor pans in and that's just the starting point. I have learned you can buy just about everything new if your pockets are deep enough, I have Bob Drake on speed dial with this deal.
    I had a 327 that was fresh but came up with a fresh 8BA, so the flatty gets the nod. I had a flatty in my 31, it went fast enough for me and it also generated lots of conversation.
    I have taken her down to the frame getting all components sand blasted, she is just about ready for primer. If you are interested there are some pics in my album page.
    At any rate, keep posting your progress as I really enjoy reading about your build.

17. G, I'm really considering the Flathead. The 39 Sedan I sold had a good one and I really liked it. The 327 would be hooked with a 3 speed and run through the column shift, so I'm just thinking in both directions...I want to put some miles on it. Thanks all for the comments.

18. Goodlife....Your coupe looks real nice....Got any extra 40 ford rears?

19. mutt423240

mutt423240

nice score murph

20. Goodlife

Goodlife

Well to be honest about it, all the extra stuff I had accumulated I traded to a young gun for labor, as he has children, morgage and so on. He has a tradional model A hot rod project he is building and horse trades parts and labor to finance the build, so I try to help him out along the way. He got the running 59a that was in my forty when we pulled it and seemed so pleased to get power for his hot rod.

21. Weasel

Weasel

Have you got the jump seats Murph? If not I have a pair that were left over from my '40 coupe rebuild....

22. Hey Weasel,

I have my original jump seats...some upholstery...all the springs and bracketry...not sure if I want to use them at all yet?? But thanks for the offer.

Murph
    :cool:

23. Keep up the good work. I am putting a sbc in mine as we speak. Keep us posted.

24. Hi All,

Got some progress pics to share....slow but sure, its coming along. Will start on the frame very soon.

Attached Files:

25. Looking good Murph.:D

26. sawzall

sawzall

27. Thanks Guys. The body is shaping up nice. Going to go with the original color...Folkstone Gray and Green distressed interior.

Murph

28. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

gonna be nice Murph--my latest is being painted soon too--body is near done-will be Folkstone or a similar color I found. Hope to have it painted and on the chassis by May 1st-

29. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Looking really good Murph, I wish my body was that far along. Im still waiting on floor pans from Bradley's.

30. Thanks...we all need inspiration...seeing the car in primer get the juices going for sure....I'm stoked!:cool: