Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally..A 40 Ford DeLuxe Coupe!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintageauto, Sep 16, 2009.

1. HAMBers,

Some of you may know that I recently had my 50 Ford Woodie for sale here on the HAMB. One of the reasons I was selling was to look for a 1939-40 Ford DeLuxe Coupe, but the real reason was the fire under my ass needed to complete the Woodie was all but(t) out. (pardon the pun)

Well, I found a fella in Boston who wanted the Woodie. He has a 51, but it needs everything that mine had. He saw my ad...on E _ _ _! and read that I wanted a 39-40 Coupe. He called me and we discussed my car, struck a deal, then he told me of an old friend of his that had a 40 DeLuxe Coupe tucked away...for 17 years!

He put me in touch with the Coupe owner, and he told me that he was saving it for himself., but he would sell it because he needs the cash. This was his 6th 40 coupe and by far the best of the lot. It has already been stripped and the body is in primer, original interior is still with the car, its an Opera Coupe with the jump seats. The car has never had any real rust. All the panels, floors,doors, trunk/tool compartment are original and solid...and the rain gutters are perfect. Below are a couple of photos.

Its a project, but I'll get on it right away..the fire is lit again!. I'll get it home after Hershey and post some additional photos. I've been watching many of the other 40 builds and photos posted here, so I have a lot of ideas. Thanks for listening....Finally, I have a 40 Coupe...even changed my avatar.

Murph:cool:

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Be very aware of the frame rot!!

Nice score!!!!

3. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

Looks well preserved for around here. Nice project, glad the fire has returned.

4. Ebert

Ebert

Congrats....my all-time favorite hot rod.

E

5. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Nice find...... Congrats !!! I'm also in the middle of a 40 coupe build, and hope to be driving it in the next month or 2. Good luck with the build. Gary

6. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Mine looked worse than yours when I got it. Good luck with the car, and keep that fire burning.

7. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

All i'm going to say is............. Bob McCoy......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::

8. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Cool man welcome to the 40 club!!!

9. I want one reeeaaalllyyyy bad.

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Just when I was getting over selling the cherry one I had.:(

Frank

11. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

It will be OK Frank......40 Ford anonymous will help

12. Frank...there is a recent thread on Seller's remorse...I know how you feel. The woodie was the shits man, but down the street its going.....

Thanks all for the comments....its like havin a baby! I should hand out cigars!

13. sawzall

sawzall

i'll take one of what your smokin..

still cant believe you sold the woodie.. but damn you know I like 40's.. ALOT..

and with that "parts car" in your barn you'll have spares too..

good score.

14. Sawzall,

Thanks man..I can't believe I sold it either!!!!! Seeing you working on your coupe just may have done it...You have the best of both worlds...a 40 woodie!!!
    But, I've wanted a coupe since I was 10...I must have built 20 + coupe models... and after a shit pile full of other cars...I got that coupe. See you at Hershey.

15. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

congratulations , smart move I too have owned 49 woodies , and I always end up selling them because they are not a cheap car to restore, plus you have to build them stock for them to retain their value. anyway I have a 40 deluxe coupe project, a 39 deluxe two door sedan thats really close to getting on the road, and a 39 deluxe 4 door convertible, you wont regret it , their have have the best of both worlds, their roomy and drive bitchen, but early enough that you still feel like your driving a hot rod.

16. Your avatar is very cool. That's the direction I'm going with my coupe. I love them '40's.

My projects are '40 Deluxe Coupe, '40 Standard 2 dr sedan and a '40 merc 4dr conv..

I've lusted at those 49-51 woody's , but I can't afford to do one. I had a '42 woody basket case and eventually parted it out.

17. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Wow, looks like a great start. Congrats on a super find. Please keep us updated as you progress on it. Welcome to the 39-40 world. Mike

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Awesome man!!! I can't wait to see it progress!!

19. JeremyJames

JeremyJames
    from concord NC
    1. HAMB Merc Club

awesome find, congrats! I just picked up a 39 deluxe coupe....yours is much further along and in much better shape, but with a little bit of welding and some love they sure do make beautiful cars.

20. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Looks like a good one, What are your plans?

21. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

Congrat's Murph, nice looking car, keep us updated.

22. Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the positive comments. I really didn't want to sell the woodie because it means no more woodies! they are just too expensive anymore. The great thing is that I have the 40 coupe coming!! This is a car that I really have wanted for 50 years, I have no idea just why it took so long.

It will be a driver and not a garage queen. I want to go as traditional possible (see Avatar) I have another frame with a dropped axle, split wishbones...all the Chassis Engineering components etc. Now to decide Flathead? SBC? I kept the newly rebuilt 327 and my Tri-Power setup and I have a low mileage Flatty drivetrain available. Like I said, this car will be driven...alot! I'll keep you all posted on progress and will be contacting those of you with 40's for more ideas. Keep em coming...Thanks

23. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

I am keeping the Flathead in the 40 Coupe I just got, however if and when it fails mine will get a sbc, nailhead, or something with a little more power. I love the flatty though. Keep us posted on your progress.

24. Greezy

Greezy

40's suck....Nice score. Looks like a hell of a nice start. You know what they say "once you go fat you never go back". Id opt for the 327, and drive the wheels off of it.

25. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Looks like you got a good one. My first real hotrod was 39 deluxe coupe. Been looking for several years but the right one hasn't come along.

26. mutt423240

mutt423240

Nice find murph.....the mutt

27. 4tford

4tford

Nice score! I'm partial to the 40 fords. Have fun with the build.

28. I agree with the general consensus. I also used to have a 49 Ford Woodie, and a 51' Ford Woodie-nice cars, but I am partial to any 40' Ford.....the fun begins!!!!!!

29. Thanks for all the support and comments. The 40 is being brought to Hershey and kept in an enclosed trailer at the hotel. Will bring er home Saturday after the Car Showl.
    I'll be able to check it over during the show and look for some goodies in the flea at the same time. The fun will begin for sure.

30. Tsquared

Tsquared
    from Pratt, Ks.

Good job, Murph!!

After a 2 year build, I was able to get mine down the strip at MOKAN, last month.

I put a 283 in my first `40 coupe in 1965...and drove it while in High School;
    It was a long wait, but I`ve finally got another one...

Enjoy!

Tom T