Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods final drive ratio for burnouts :)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gordon Reed, Sep 2, 2019.

1. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I see that you're 18 years old. That's cool. I liked doing burnouts at 18, too. As you get older you may come to realize the difference between perception of power and speed (ie loud exhaust and burnouts), versus actual power and speed. Nobody will give a damn about your big smoky burnouts or loud exhaust when you're getting gapped by a dude with a bone stock 335i or STI. Realistically, if you can't crack a 14.0 (with an OHV engine), you shouldn't even bother stunting, because all you're doing is posing, wasting money and unnecessarily beating up your parts for no legitimate use. Just have a cool car, and nobody will give a shit about how fast or slow it is.

2. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

Funny that a good burnout contest will draw a whole lot more folks than a Show 'n Shine....

WC145, 61Cruiser, 49ratfink and 3 others like this.
  3. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Guess I've been doing it all wrong. I'm trying to get it to launch WITHOUT lighting them up.

badvolvo, 61Cruiser, Dino 64 and 8 others like this.
  4. Don't pay attention to these old farts... oh wait! I'm one too. Just have fun with your car whichever way you want. I have found that if I was rolling forward a few miles an hour and then stomped on the go pedal, that would bust 'em loose. I enjoy a loud, smoky burnout. Do I do it? Not anymore, but I enjoy watching someone else tear up their ride...

WC145, INVISIBLEKID and Deuces like this.
  5. Duellym

Duellym

do you care about the transmission?
    if not rev it up in neutral and drop it into drive

also goddamn some of you are no fun

WC145 and Deuces like this.
  6. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

You correct people's grammar regularly don't you?

WC145, 61Cruiser, Dooley and 2 others like this.
  7. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

So does a car wreck , we live in an increasingly jaded society unfortunately....

8. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

Burn outs are fun, but theres a time and place.
    Don't be one of these people:

49ratfink and Hnstray like this.
  9. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Yes he does and we're all better for it !!

10. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

If this video doesn't open your eyes , there's little hope for you ..!
    Oh ,I know , it won't , can't happen to you ........Idiot !

11. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I keep checking this thread looking for an easy way to calculate final drive ratios for all of us burnouts

guthriesmith and Hnstray like this.
  12. Deuces

Deuces

Mine cost $500.00 each to replace... :confused::eek::(

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Somehow, that doesn't look like fun to me. Even stranger are the morons that stand that closely to the other morons driving that way.

I guess I don't know how to have fun.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

Funny story, when I worked at the Ford plant, they had some of us driving trucks out in the lot. One of the guys was in a short bed standard cab four x four with a granny four speed, with posi front and back. It had a v8, I think it was a 352. Anyway, he locked in the front hubs, granny low, and said watch me everybody, I'm going to smoke all four tires. He floored it and side stepped the clutch. The truck lurch forward without any tire slip. His head hit the back window so hard it knocked the back glass out. Thought we would die laughing.

15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jim, 2004 Power Tour somewhere in Northwest Oklahoma? That location looks like a spot where we pulled over for a while and watched some of the other participants go by. We were in a bone stock '37 Buick.

Deuces and squirrel like this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

yup, but I think it was in Missouri, near the Lake of the Ozarks.

The bike cops picture was taken in a different state than the burnout picture. Creative page layout.

Dino 64 and Hnstray like this.
  17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I didn't read the whole thing... seems to me what you need is a Pontiac 400 and a 4 speed.. back in the old days I broke a posi unit and replaced the rear with a 3:08 geared one legger from the junk yard. after that with those gears I could do a good 75 feet of burned rubber in first, then a space of about 4 feet and another 75 feet..... right in front of your Mom's house.:)

Gammz and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  18. 6sally6

6sally6

May have a "cure" fer ye!!!
    Does it have a windshield washer?........Run a plastic line(same size as the one for the windshield) from the pump to a spot right over the rear tire. Put some bleach in the washer bag. Hold the wsher button down a few seconds before you floor it!
    Should render the desired results...........bleach make cool white smoke & cleans the tires.
    6sally6

19. First off, I’d like to congratulate our young friend on a fine choice of transportation. I was 15 when I got my ‘64 and was ready to go when I turned 16. Glad to know people his age are in to the right cars and not a rice burner.
    I also think laying down a patch in the right situation is great fun.

I’m gonna say the powerglide is our problem here. I have 2 ‘64 Malibu’s a 283/4speed and 327/4speed. Both will shred a tire if I ask it of them. 283 car has 3.08 gears and 327 has 3.36. My 4 speed cars of course have lower 1st gears than a powerglide.
    Also— do you know for sure that your ‘glide is in good shape? If the engine revs but the tires aren’t going the trans could be slipping.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chevy57dude and Deuces like this.
  20. RmK57

RmK57

Is it a 2 or 4 door? If it's a 4 door you'll never get those things spinning.

Find yourself a set of 195/75/15 size tires, if you can't snap them loose then sell the car.

warbird1, lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  21. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Burnouts are the best!
    I was kinda hoping to see more "examples" of how to do a burnout. . .

Deuces likes this.
  22. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

I almost forgot, final gear ratio for burnouts? The 3.55s will be better than what you have but 3.73 or 4.11 will wake up anything

427 sleeper and Deuces like this.
  23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

x2

Deuces likes this.
  24. gene-koning

gene-koning

I think the powerglide is your problem. I also wonder if its not slipping a little, besides simply the fact of it being a powerglide. Those 2 speed slush boxes are what gave automatic transmissions a bad reputation.

I'm not taking sides on the burnout topic though. In my youth I collected a pretty big pile of broken parts, much of it caused by burnouts and a bit of street racing.
    Now that I'm much older (62) and wiser, I need to admit to the fact of hearing the tires make noise during applications of throttle and clutch pedal operation occasionally (up through 3rd gear on my 5 speed).
    I never much got into drag racing, the nearest drag strip was 40 miles away. Gene

Duellym and Deuces like this.
  25. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Way back in 1976 I was stationed at Ft Lewis, WA. My MOS was 64C (truck driver). Every once in a while a couple of us would get assigned to these annex buildings way out in the woods. I don't remember what they were out there for but they housed two 1970 - '72 Chevy stepside pickups with 350's and T350 and a posi. The garage floor was very smooth finished concrete and we'd each get in a truck and see who could fill the garage up with the most tires smoke. It was pretty senseless but loads of fun!

OP, your car should be able to fry the one tire with no problem. Do you know how to power brake it or are you just taking your foot off the brake and slamming the gas pedal? Have you tried pouring a little water under the tire? How about putting the front bumper up against a brick wall and then stomping on it! :eek::p

26. What’s some other things that have no useful purpose???
    Hummm how about sex and sport fucking?
    A Blow job has zero useful purpose.
    Back yard camp fire when the house is warm has no useful purpose. Neither does cooking a hot dog on a stick when the microwave is just a few feet away. Drag racing in general has no useful purpose. Farmers markets stands either when the Walmart is just a few miles away. Playing monopoly with the kids is completely useless. Going to a concert has no useful purpose when the radio is working fine. And yes burnouts have much in common with all of those things.

Back in 1985 I did one of those burnouts thru all 4 gears in a parking lot after work with a Pontiac 400 4 speed. There were a bunch of people there too. Every once in a while I run into some of those people. Guess what they talk about? It’s stuck in there head.

SEAAIRE354, wraymen, Ned Ludd and 4 others like this.
  27. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^^^ Fuck yeah!!! You hit the nail on the Head!!!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    31Vicky with a hemi and Deuces like this.
  28. squirrel

squirrel

Maybe you're just getting old and wise. That's ok.

lothiandon1940, Deuces and Hnstray like this.
  29. Gordon Reed

Gordon Reed

i’ve watched them all, believe me. but also believe me when i say, most 18 year olds with hot rods are the closest you can get to idiots lol

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

30. Gordon Reed

Gordon Reed

i cannot explain to you guys how hard i laugh as i watch a topic asking for burnout advise turns into a science lesson and “crap throwing contest.” i have learned a lot though from the guys who have tried to help and show a little bit of enjoyment in one of the many ways to have fun with cars. i appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.