Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Final chapter in the crummy chop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thommyknocker, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Or, Let's see how much "Flop" is in Thommy :p

In the begining there was this
    [​IMG]
    and this
    [​IMG]

and countless hours of pushing and pulling and banging to get the doors to close straight(er).
    and figured out that whole glass cutting thing. and how much it SUCKS

[​IMG] I've been working my way front to back so.......
    Last chapter is to fix this rear window. Here is how she came. there is every bit of 1/2" of glass reinforced bondo on there.:mad: I still itch after taking 2 showers.
    [​IMG]

But, it made it out of there in one piece.
    [​IMG]

Yup, he didn't even bother to weld up all those pie cuts all the way. Most of them are just mudded in with a few tacks for good measure. I'm going to have to cut most of that out, It's tough to see but the drivers side roof line is all beat to shit.
    There were several spots with 3 layers of old crusty undercoated chunks of crap tin with chicken shit welds all over them LOL

2. wallace

wallace

That looks horrible some people shouldnt be allowed to touch vehicles

reagen likes this.
  3. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Wow! Who would do such a thing?

4. Enough of that!
    I've been researching and drooling on my keyboard for days now. Compairing different rockstar chops, printing them out, overlaying them on the wall and measuring, lot's and lots of measuring.

It looks like there are 3 different ways to do the rear window,
    1) tip it a bit forward at the top, and make the sail panel bigger. (I think mine is chopped to much for this)

2) tip the window forward a lot, add a filler under the window, above the belt line. ( I really hate how mine looks now, but with the window right side up it's a little better)

3) move the whole window forward with the belt line.

I'm kinda partial to #3. just throw it on there and see what looks good.
    This is moving the belt line forward 4.5"
    [​IMG]

5. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I think you'll get it right.

6. Rodder29

Rodder29

Yikes......you have your work cut out for you. Good luck.

7. wallace

wallace

yeah go with 3

8. Damn, might be more worthwhile to find a rusted out junker for a few hundred that has a good top and start over...

9. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

cool...keep them pics coming

10. Your confidence is appreciated.
    I suppose I can't fuck it up any more than it already is. LOL

I'm looking around for just that. Or at lease a good portion of a roof.

11. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Wow the only car worse than mine!!! Thanks !!!1

12. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

Lots would have been scared off by that abortion. I guess you've got nothing to lose and it can only get better. I'd like those kind of odds if I was tackling my first chop (or in this case re-chop). Looks like doing your research first (unlike the previous owner) is going to pay off for you. Keep up the good work- you'll get there.

Keep the updates/ pictures coming.
    Jay

13. oj

oj

You've got too many compromises in there. Think about cutting the whole area out and doing want needs to be done. You mention three different ways to do it, in reality there is just one way and too much of the existing tin work is clouding your judgement. Whackout that whole mess, lay the window in at the angle that you want and build out the tin to make it happen.
    You're doing a great job adding dignity to an embarassed but nobile car. Getting the rear window right is everything and don't let any existing bullshit compromise the finshed product.
    I just love those body lines. Have at it, oj

14. OldAbe

OldAbe
    from PDX

I'd like to introduce you to my friend, Carson. :D

15. I was about to say the very same thing! Hopefully, you can repair what was done...but a Carson top would be a great alternative and looks good, too!

16. eliguzman

eliguzman

gotta start somewhere! keep going and dont give up.

17. Ruiner

Ruiner

IMO, the rear window is laid down too far as it is right now...I agree though, tear the entire back window and sail panel section out and start over with that area...worst case scenario, get the rear window/roof from an entirely different car, and make that fit...it's been done before, and some of the results of that look better than reusing the stock window area...

18. Flop

Flop

heres what you need to fix this properly first and foremost 3 cases of pabst a stack of cutting wheels and some pizza haha!! i would try and find a new back roof part i have one out of a 47 chevy i would donate to the cause you will have to find glass though. leave the beltline where its at .hard to make it look right withthe cat walk thingy any bigger

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  19. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Find yourself a new roof man!! Im not kidding!! That's what i did and saved my car!! The rest of the car looks straight or decent!!

[​IMG]

20. LOL that's TWICE as much as I paid for mine!!!!:eek:

Thanks for the offer! I'm still looking around for options now.
    I think I saw a 52 in a local jy. I'll have to wonder around a pit and see what's available.

21. Attached Files:

22. OLLIN

OLLIN

Yeah, I agree. Try option #3 and scoot it up. In this last pic you posted, it looks like thats what they did. Maybe 4" or so..

23. Yeah and the body looks twice as nice. I bet you could get it for $500, and sell off what you don't need and be at a net zero cost, or even ahead. Just tried to help ya out man.

24. Can you share a closeup pic of those taillights in the bumper guards? Thanks, Todd

25. I appreciate the feedback and the time you took to find that, I just can't make that plan happen.

I copied stickylifter's thread.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97622
    Just beeheive marker lights with 1157 bases and LED bulbs. I found the lights at my local carquest that have a "deep" back 1/2 to make room for the bulbs.

26. :cool:

27. alexelchingon

alexelchingon

you got your work cut out for you, i agree with some of the previous replys, move the whole back windoframe forward(at least 4") and that will eliminate the heavy crown on the top of the roof line. Then you make the beltline from the backwindow meet the beltline from the rest of the quarterpanel. That will also make that quarter window alot smaller and make the whole chop look alot nicer(in my opinion).Just did one myself, pm me and ill send pics to your email, i still havent figured out how to resize pics to post on hamb..

28. Thanks Alex!
    Exactly what I was thinking of.

Attached Files:

29. This might work........

Attached Files: