Register now to get rid of these ads!

Filling tack stirp area on sides of 30 model a Truck HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lucky_1974, Dec 8, 2003.

1. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

Well I worked on the truck some more and I have the roof filled, what I need to know now is how to fix the tack strip area above the door, where the drip rail would be. I am wondering how best to get this area filled. I am not sure if I will put a drip rail there or not. The truck had just had mud put in there and it looked crappy so that is gone and I want to fix it right. Should I just make some metal strips and weld them in does somebody sell patches with the driprail already attached. Any help would be cool...

2. I bought new drip rails from CS Moss. Painted them black to match the car and you don't even know they are there.
    They do help keep the rain out too.
    TZ

3. I welded the drip rails in mine. Welded them solid and smoothed them in. Looks factory....

4. find a width of strap steel[1/8" thick that closely fits in the recessed area left after the drip is removed. sandblast area till clean- then grind the strap till bare. start as far forwards as it will fit and tack it with the mig welder. it will fit till the area where it curves this will have to be heated red with torch and pulled to the same curvature-pushed in place with a tool of sorts and tacked also. then take plenty of time tacking and jumping around side to side so it wont warp it. this also is the way to do a 2 or 4 door sedan -A roof/drip remove.[this is a VERY time consuming job as I have done many, so don't start it if you are in a hurry].

5. HotRod31

HotRod31

Lucky,
    Get you some 1/2" round stock and weld over it then take a little mud (bondo) and wipe in the top with your finger ( I use a plastic spoon) to give it a little concave shape. It helps to keep the rain out, better than doing away with it.

Later, Mark