Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Filling roof, 36 5 window

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by willowbilly3, Jun 8, 2017.

1. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

What makes a good donor for a filler panel to close the roof on my 36 5 window Ford coupe? thanks

2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Try using a length of wooden strapping,
    plot the arch and length of the front to back of your opening, mark and label it on one side...
    plot the arch and mark the length left to right of your opening, mark it on the other side...
    to do this, set the wood on the roof of your hot rod... measure and mark the distance between the roof and the stick where the gap at both ends are equal...
    repeat for the side to side measurement...
    ... Now take the stick with you to a junk yard, set it on the potential donar's roof, check both directions,
    if the gap between the donar's roof and your stick matches the measurements that you marked on the stick ends... buy it...
    Because the roof's skin was stamped into a compound curve it is forgiving as you can add or subtract a little arch without kinking...
    The opening in your '36 roof is small compared to a model A, I used a Mercury Sable roof turned 90* on my '33 5 window... ... hope it helps...

3. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

I used a 66 nova for my avatar

5. krylon32

krylon32
    Alliance Vendor
    from Nebraska

Check my comment on the Ford barn.

6. jimmy six

jimmy six

Don't do it....

Rusk and RICH B like this.
  7. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

Why fill your roof?

8. cretin

cretin

@sloppy jalopies answer is a pretty good one if you're junkyard searching. If you don't mind paying the cost for a craftsman to make you a new one, Walden speedshop sells the panel.

9. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

So it doesn't get rain and snow inside

10. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Good tip, thanks

11. I used a 61 corvair coupe top for my 34 ford. Was an old stock car with all the structure cut out of the original top.

12. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

54 StupidBaker for my 32 3 window

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. Mo rust

Mo rust

I used a pinto wagon for to fill my 32 three window. You'll be surprised how many tops actually will work. You just need something that is large enough, smooth and has at least an inch or more crown in the middle. Once you cut it out of the donor car, some of the crown flattens out so find one with a little more than you want in your coupe. I would rather have a little too much crown than one that is too flat.

14. linechaser32

linechaser32
    from Iowa

70 Camaro turned front to back works well.

15. eberhama

eberhama

The take away here is that most any low crown roof panel will do the job. Stay away from the late model tin can crap and you'll be fine. I used a chunk of '39 ford sedan roof because its what I had laying around.

16. i used a `48 Tucker roof on a `29 Graham Paige sedan

not sure how this helps

scrubby2009 likes this.
  17. FalconMan

FalconMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I used a 66 mustang fastback roof on my 36 3 window.... perfect crown.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stormtron likes this.
  18. kb cookout

kb cookout

I have used Ford Pinto , Mustang II, Maverick, donor roofs for 35-36 Ford coupes

later kb

19. Walden Speed shop makes a nice one.

20. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I used a 59 Chevy hardtop on my 32 5er

21. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

If you have a good original body, at least in Ca. it devalues the car. Everyone I know doesn't want a filled roof. Although it's your car do what you want. That's what hot rodding's all about, individual preference. Good luck on it.

WiredSpider and TagMan like this.
  22. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

23. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Think about taking the no fill route -- original hole in the roof makes it part of being an old Ford.

WiredSpider and TagMan like this.
  24. cretin

cretin

I'm pretty surprised about the amount of opposition to filling a roof, not that he asked anyones opinion. It's nothing new.

clem likes this.
  25. clem

clem

I am surprised at how many gave him advice to fill his roof based on the earlier models they have, - not the '36 he asked about.........

cretin likes this.
  26. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

What ever you choose to use , never use a flat piece of stock ! You will never forget that you made a mistake . I had a friend that had a super nice 35 3 window , filled with flat sheet , ended up selling the car because he took so much grief , new owner covered it with newer , cover and moulding , it looked better but still not the look ! Just take your time skip around welding , hammer your welds and all will be as if it were there when Henry shipped it . Living in the mid west not filling a top is not on the option list .

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

27. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

... he didn't ask if... he asked how and what...
    perhaps ye west coasters ought spend the time you didn't spend filling your roof and take a literacy class !

cretin and TagMan like this.
  28. DLRIDES

DLRIDES
    from Newton NC

The perfect filler is a insulated snap out cover. Open top when you want, dry and warm when you need.

29. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Maverick skin. Walden makes a beautiful insert the will surely fit, but it's $500. You didn't say what your budget was and whether or not you were doing the welding or hiring out the task? Those two things figure into the bottom line. If you're hiring this out, the Walden skin may save a couple of hours of hired prep labor and any cost associated with the junk yard roof purchase, making the Walden insert price point more attractive.

As for fill/don't fill controversy. It's your car, do what you want. I filled my 34 because I've always thought chopped cars look better with a filled roof. Plus the roof opening reveal had been butchered out of my roof (previous parts car?).

30. Unless you know how to do all the work - start to finish, I highly suggest buying the insert from Walden. They are great people, their work is fantastic and you will SAVE yourself (or anybody doing the work) a LOT of time. They just made an insert for my 34 coupe (60's Comp Coupe type build) - really nice work at a very fair price.