Register now to get rid of these ads!

Filling lead shot bag

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GrouchySS, Nov 12, 2012.

1. GrouchySS

GrouchySS

I have a 14 in. leather shot bag Iam looking for advice on how much shot to put in it any input would be helpful THANKS IN ADVANCE Frank.

2. I have 75 lbs. It's enough, but it could use another 25 lbs.

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I used about this much...

[​IMG]

4. GrouchySS

GrouchySS

Thanks Tinbender I bought 25lbs. thinking that would be enough after puting it in I see what you mean going to buy more tonight Thanks again Frank.

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I would not be beating on a lead shot bag. Is there something else you can fill them with ?

Steel shot possibly ? Anything else ?

The reason is lead dust, which you will eventually end up breathing when it is expelled from the seams of the bag.

The older a lead shot bag gets, the worse it gets.

(not sure you can still buy lead shot)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  6. slowmotion

slowmotion

Can you even buy lead shot in the U.S. anymore? I thought everything went to steel some time ago.

7. English Chop

English Chop

I filled my bag with fish tank gravel, works well.

8. aaggie

aaggie

I used the worn out Garnet media from my bead blaster, it works OK for me.

9. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

You can still buy lead shot in the US.

I bet something else gets me before the lead dust seeping out of the seams of a panel beating bag does.

10. oj

oj

I used that white playground sand, less than 25#

11. According to this I should probably be Dead. Between Lead in my Shot bag, Holding Raw Lead sticks in my hands, Filing it and sanding it all without a dust mask or gloves for over 50 years. What are the first signs I'm dying from Lead Poisoning?
    To answer your question the amount has a lot to do with how deep a pocket you need to beat the shape you need. I often add or take out depending on my shape.
    The Wizzard

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Do a little reading.

http://www.elcosh.org/document/2259...%3A+Effects+Add+Up+in+Adults.html?show_text=1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning

http://www.health.ny.gov/publications/2584/

13. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

that is a good point!

14. GrouchySS

GrouchySS

Blue one good point I never thought of that I will ghange my way of thinking Thanks.

15. hoof22

hoof22
    Member Emeritus

"I used that white playground sand, less than 25#"

I agree. Shot is round and tends to roll against itself, (especially steel shot, cuz it's real hard...), and this lets the bag change it's shape with each blow. I always used sand, because the grains are irregular shape, and tend to sort of lock together, helping the bag keep it's shape...just my experience.
    As far as lead danger goes, I think unless you're eating it, well...

Good luck!

Eric

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  16. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So if I use sand will I die of silicosis?:eek:

17. I think I built up a resistance to Lead while eating Led based paint off the window frames in our house as a Kid but this Sand based Silicosis scares the Hell out of me. I'm going to stop going to the Coast for vacations.
    The Wizzard

18. Wow really? Lead dust out of my shot bag? Of the dozens of hazards and chemicals we're exposed to working on our old cars, you worry about lead "dust" coming from a leather bag?
    How do you get anything done? That hazmat suit, fresh air system, and all that bubble wrap has got to be cumbersome.:rolleyes:

19. I don't claim that anyone is going to get or not get lead poisoning from using lead in a bag but I do know that chronic lead poisoning is a nasty thing. My dad was an industrial painter back in the 50s-60s when everyone used red and white lead paints on structural steel. He can't even be around lead contaminants without having flare ups. He is retired now and comes out to my shop to visit but he doesn't have much stamina due to the different health issues related to his condition.

Whatever you use take good precautions so you guys can be around here for years to come so the hobby stays alive.