Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fighting S.B. 1549 this morning, the good, the bad and the ugly!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shoprag, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Shoprag

Shoprag

The good, we are on the news and radio. Dean Florez had to take time out of his day with the Govenor (who was in town) and coment on the protesters. We drove around The Chamber of Commerce where the Govenator was speaking. About 30 to 40 cars.

The bad, there was only 30 to 40 cars show up, with about 100 people. We were hopin for more but it still was a good turn out for 3 days notice. We had alot of calls sayin people couldn't get outta work with such short notice.

The ugly, this happend after we were cruzin the chamber of commerce. After we stopped and checked out the damage they wanted to go and pick up the pieces and the same girl got out of her car and it popped in reverse and backed into Kelleys buick. It tweaked the bumper and creased the buick teeth. I don't have pics of his.

The 64 galaxie only had paint on front bumper and nothing happend to rear bumper.

Attached Files:

2. Thats a Dam shame .
    Im in aww.
    my condolences
    well now we can hammer it out and louver it

3. ShortBus

ShortBus

Was it Christina? She was behind me for 3 of those laps. Glad I bugged out to go drop FourEyes off at his truck.

dopey broad..

4. Shoprag

Shoprag

It was crashtina (marks new name for her), she was pretty upset, but not as upset as kelley. Come by the barber shoppe and I'll tell ya about it.

We sacrificed 2 cars to fight this stupid law!!!

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks to everyone that showed up for this. Any more pics? Did not know Governor was in town. He likes Hummers, but not old cars.
    Sorry to see damage to the rides that were there.

6. Shoprag

Shoprag

jalopy, shortbus took all the pics. I'll see if he'll post some here.

7. ShortBus

ShortBus

8. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

That was kinda embarrassing wasn't it? At a protect no less. Bet that impressed em, huh?:rolleyes:

9. Shoprag

Shoprag

the wreck happend after the protest.

10. even though i'm not in california "WAY TO GO GUYS" keep kicking those fuckers in the balls. worst thing you can do is give up. these kind of things have a snowball effect and my state could be next. as far as i'm concerned you dudes are HERO'S, take a bow!

11. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

I have to say pretty cool guys. I hope everyone was professional and didn't act like a bunch of idiots. It's great to see people actually doing something about the world.

And some cool cars there.

12. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

It's even more embarrasing to have a true RAT ROD at a rally to save old cars....this isn't going to help you at all.

I appreciate your efforts on fighting the State Bill ---

[​IMG]

13. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

You guys are awesome, all of ya! Keep up the good work of saving our hobby for the next generation.

14. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

i guess if they outlaw the old cars then im going to be an outlaw!!!! id like to see their eco friendly electric 60mpg piece of crap catch up to my car, as i suck down another dinosaur blowing their shit off the road!!

15. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As much as it erks me to say this, you guys (And women drivers!!) need to get a name like Foose behind this. Contact Year One and any other name that has been on TV that people will listen too and not laugh at. ie, Jesse James.

Sad but the better known the person it the more people listen.

Doc.

16. Shoprag

Shoprag

dave at this point it doesn't matter if its a rat rod, pro street, bought rod, stocker, etc... we had a good range of car enthusiast represented. I thought later I should of gotta hold of the VW guys. We tend think IN the BOX here, if we woulda teamed up with other groups who pre 76 vehicles, I think we woulda had a bigger out come and had a more diverse showing of pre 76 vehicles.

17. RatBone

RatBone

You nailed it on the head. The more the better even bone stock clubs are gonna be affected by this.

18. Shoprag

Shoprag

The kid that owns that truck, also has a nice 48 plymouth, and he races a 49 plymouth jalopy. The term rat rod in my opinion doesn't apply to this truck. It doesn't have any saw blades welded to it or any skulls, its not all gothed out. he built that truck on a budget and with parts he got here and there just the way they did back then. I don't care for the way he mounted his head lights but the truck is pretty cool.

19. the point is Tucker's truck is on the road and he was there.

20. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

At this point, the rat rod guys are on OUR side. That whole common enemy thing... I don't think we need to resort to bickering amongst the ranks.

Divide and conquer sound familiar?

21. <DT>It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. <DD class=author>Theodore Roosevelt, "Man in the Arena" Speech given April 23, 1910
    26th president of US (1858 - 1919) </DD>

22. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

"popped into reverse". haven't heard that one in a long time!

23. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

I guess Arnold has something in common with Clinton.

24. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

Jay Leno has been known to stick his nose into fighting when they try to pass these laws.

Florez is being sneaky about it this time and it scares me. If he sneakes in and gets it passed then massages the metrics to show an improvment in the air it will be easier for him to pass this state wide.

Metrics can be massage to show what you want. believe me...I create reports for a major oil company and can give them what they are looking for 99% of the time.

congrats to all of you that went! I was stuck at work but did post up the information on various forums/websites.

25. duke182

duke182

you guys are my new heroes.
    keep up the fight.
    i hope your effort can be an example to everyone who loves and lives old cars.

26. smogrfg

smogrfg

My name is Len Trimlett. I am right there in the middle of the SB1549 fight. It was I who told SEMA Action Network about this bill. I put out flyers through my website www.smogrfg.com . There are over 5000 flyers in circulation now. 3000 went out at Goodguys. 600 went to the Pomona Swapmeet. Calls were made all over the Central Valley, San Diego, The San Francisco Bay Area, etc. The flyer on the website is going to the San Diego Swapmeet also.

The bill will be heard April 8, 2008 in the Senate Transportation Committee Room 4203 Sacramento at 1:30PM. Come and express your opposition. I am. I have a 65 Mustang.

Len Trimlett -- www.smogrfg.com

27. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

Hey Marc...congrats on running for Mayor of Bako and getting second.
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="95&#37;" align=center mm:layoutgroup="true"><TBODY><TR><TD class=cssTDOverride width="60%">
    MARC DELEON​
    </TD><TD class=cssTDOverride width="20%">
    3430​
    </TD><TD class=cssTDOverride width="20%">
    11.50%​
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Granted...Hall won pretty big but hey you still got second! Is this your first time running? I hope you keep at it.

Congrats again! best way we can make a difference is getting people like you in there.

28. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

dont matter what style the car is..we need to stand united,, because it affects us all. besides..whats in a name anyways when it comes to our freedoms? right?

29. Buzznut

Buzznut

According to an email I just recieved from Len, the bill has been ammended. Here is what he wrote:

"SB1549 was stopped in early April. It is no longer about revoking the biennial smog exemption. Senator Florez changed it to a DMV Study Bill on the effectiveness of the vehicle special license plate program. There is a good possibility of a "Muscle Car License Plate" coming out of it. The bill is hobby friendly now and I hope will go forward to signing by the governor."

So there you go...maybe our collective voices can make a difference afterall.

30. Buzznut

Buzznut