Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Fibreglass fender protection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 28Hemrod, May 4, 2014.

1. 28Hemrod

28Hemrod
    from Ontario

Bought a new roadster, steel body and fibreglass fenders. First time driving it down gravel road(very slowly) to get home we got two spider cracks on rear fender. Does anyone know of a protective skin that we could install on underside of fenders so this does not happen again. We were told there once was a rubber product that "the old car centre" in BC had but they told us its not manufactured any longer. Other people must have this problem. We want to drive this car and not have a "trailer queen"!! It does have an undercoating but I guess it wasn't thick enough or something?
    What would be the most rubbery of all the undercoatings?
    Thanks for any suggestions

2. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I would thing a liberal coating of bed liner material would work well.

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

First off its just not glass fenders that get star cracks. Steel fenders star crack as well. My 35 Chevy with steel rear fenders has several star cracks. Several years ago at the Shades of the Past there was a vendor selling a product called "Star Blocker" which was sheets of rubber you glued on the underside of fenders with weather stripping adhesive. I installed it on a 32 Ford with glass fenders and never got any star cracks. I've also heard of using bed liner as well.

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  4. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Infomertials on every ten minutes show a rubberized spray coating available and have seen them on the shelf at HD. they also offer it in clear now

5. Box liner all the way!!

6. Sprayable seam sealer...it's resiliant

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Spray on bed liner is really the only acceptable method and also the most effective.

A good thick layer properly applied and the problem is no more. :)

8. Davyj

Davyj

Bed liner, but make sure you scuff the glass first, if any release agent or glass residue is there, the stuff will fall off when the car is in the sun................ask me how I know!

9. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

FYI you can buy a bed liner gun for less than 100 bucks and it isnt hard to do. Just make sure you have everything masked off well and covered with plastic as it can get messy.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. U-Pol Gator bedliner kit with gun in black on Amazon free shipping
    $115, been using 4 years and never a problem with stars.
    Clean and sand with 80 grit, shoot 1 coat, let sit for 30 minutes, shoot 2nd coat,let sit for 30 minutes, shoot 3rd coat let sit overnight. Re install fenders and fergit about it.