Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fiberglass Trends in Orange, CA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TexasHardcore, May 5, 2009.

1. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Is Fiberglass Trends still in business? I've tried calling them almost everyday for the past few weeks and never get an answer or even an answering machine.

I heard they still make front nose sections for the later Thames/Anglias. Everyone makes 'glass parts for the early cars, but can't find anything for mine ('57 Anglia 100E)

2. LastMinuteMark

LastMinuteMark
    from So. Cal.

hey TexasHardcore, the number i have is disconnected, 714-532-6140 is the num i called. Their address is 986 N. Elm St. in Orange, their location is about 3 miles from me, i can swing by there after work to verify if you need me to, just say the good word

EDIT: went by there(5-5-09).....looks fatal.....no business sign on the unit......roll up door closed, front door locked.....no relocation sign/info.........

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  3. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Damn, that sucks. Thanks for cruising by there man!

4. cornernfool

cornernfool

I believe the parts were being made in Idaho, and they were running a truck to SoCal every week. It's been along time since I've seen George, but give me a couple days to see if I can find something out. Good luck, Mike.

5. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Do you have the oem frontend?

6. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

No, that's the shitter about it! I have a bad hood, and a bad grille section, but no fenders. I'd run steel stock stuff if I could find it, but I figured 'glass would be easier to find.

7. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Man thats too bad, I bought some parts of them back in 99. Very nice people and reasonably priced.

8. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Yeah, I know an old dude who's had his '58 Thames since new and had been drag racing it with a tube chassis & different v8 combos since the late 50's all over CA. I went to him after I bought my Anglia to see if he knew who had 'glass parts for these cars since mine is basically a coupe version of the panel with the same front sheetmetal, and he said "Fiberglass Trends". But he bought his stuff from them in the 60's.

9. rooman

rooman

The last time that I had any dealing with them was around 13 years ago. I mounted one of their 62 Corvette race car bodies and it was average to say the least. They had cut it ahead of the windshield to make the front a lift off but the cut was bogus in that it was about 1 1/2" further forward on one fender compared to the other.
    The major problem with the body was that it had obviously been splashed off a 'vette that had been repaired as the left side headlight area was an inch lower than the right. I had numerous conversations, sent photos etc but never did get any satisfaction from them regarding compensation for all the hours that I had to put into fixing it. I can understand the headlight deal being off if they did not pay much attention to the original body used for the mold but the skewed cut was all their own work.

Roo

10. LastMinuteMark

LastMinuteMark
    from So. Cal.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  11. back in the early 90's i worked for A & A Specialties who was at that time on e of the largest in Fiberglass and Urethane body parts (Hoods, one piece front ends, ground effects, wings hood scoops etc) Fiberglass Trends made a lot of our muscle car products. At that time they were on Collins in Orange and the majority of the parts were actually made in Utah as fiberglass production in California is a pain in the EPA. The did some of the stuff locally though and they also owned the old Mitcom Porsche stuff and produced those parts as well. When A&A went broke it really impacted F-T's business and seemed to be a downward slope for George. They date back to the 60's and i hate to think they have totally gone away and pray that someone will/has rescued the molds if they are indeed done.

12. jamesdfo

jamesdfo

I have a "WANTED" ad running in a couple of Canadian publications, looking for 48-53 Thames stuff, and this guy Rob from Showcars fiberglass in Ontario keeps leaving me &^%$'n messages....anyways, he mentions in his messages that he bought the 48-53 Thames molds from Fiberglass trends....so it is possible he ended up with the later ones as well?? But, having googled "showcarsrob" and seeing a few results are complaints.....I would be VERY CAREFUL..............

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=showcarsrob&meta=

HTH
    James

13. storm king

storm king

Rod-n-Race doesn't make that nose? Nevermind, I just checked and they don't.

14. SoCal Merc

SoCal Merc
    from SoCal

I thought George passed away. I also thought I saw his son selling stuff at Long Beach awhile back. Let me call my cousin. He and the son used to hang out.

15. SoCal Merc

SoCal Merc
    from SoCal

Talked to my cousin. He is going to give the son Matt, a call. George did pass away awhile ago.

16. Nope, we never had any demand for the later 100E parts. No customers, No molds.

17. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Matt got all busted up in a sand buggy accident. He's been in a wheel chair. Moved
    out of his shop on Elm 2 or 3 weeks ago. That's all I know.

18. This is really sad if FT is gone. I worked on Marv Eldridge's Corvette funny in the '60s
    FT made almost everyone’s bodies back then, Marv got hurt and eventually passed away.
    I heard later when the new owners took over the company that they trashed all the old molds from the '60s, what a loss, Marv was a perfectionist those old funny car molds would be gold now. When I checked with them a few years ago all they were making was scoops and hoods. Sad to see another icon of my youth go away
    Hopefully they can regroup or someone can take over and keep the name alive.

19. storm king

storm king

I'm sorry, rustygem, I understand how we love this hobby/business so much we elevate those names we've seen over the years to iconic status, but FT's stuff sucked. Even worse than sucked. It's just that they were one of the few players back then and if you wanted something somewhat lighter than steel, that's where most Californians went. But the product absolutely sucked. It is what got me into the composite business; getting tired of paying good money for a lousey product.
    My buddy bought a Fiat Topolino body from them just a few years ago. I could not believe how crappy it was. Later, I went to the March meet and talked to a few guys who were running FT's stuff and they're like, "oh, yeah, it's shit, but its close and cheap". The header on the roof (above the windshield) was warped in 6 inches at the center. The doors had weld marks molded right into the part where some idiot had welded shut the factory doors on the steel car the mold was taken from. Pure junk.
    All that said, it wouldn't stop me from running an FT logo on a nostagia car, wheteher it had my parts or someone else's because the name is classic in nostagia racing.

20. Plenty of companies making stuff for 100E's here in the UK.
    Give Russ at R & R Hotrodimports a call, he imports lots of kit to the UK from his business partner in the US, dont see why he couldnt do it the other way round.

check out www.randrhotrodimports.co.uk

Contact details -
    Parts and inquiries

If you are interested in ordering parts, or want to find out more about possibly ordering parts from us, then contact us by the following details.

Uk Branch

Russell Pepper - E-mail [email protected]

Or Call him on 07980 416785

USA Branch

Richard Green - E-mail [email protected]

rfraze likes this.
  21. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

This might be O/T or a Hi-Jack ...... But i am interested in Fiberglass front metal replacement for a 1954 Ford Customeline.

Anyone know if it is or was ever made ?

Id go 3pc or Tilt 1pc, Just dont wanna go Broke doing it :D

22. DeSoto: Try Fairlane Co. in Michigan. I believe they might have molds.

23. shpotty

shpotty
    from New Jersey

24. Old Rotor Flap

Old Rotor Flap
    from Colorado

I've been looking for a '27 Ford Roadster glass body. FT was selling them on ebay, but hasn't had one since about April. Matt was going to try to get it/them listed, but nothing to date. I knew of his accident and apparently he's unable to get back on the job.

I looked at Unlimited Products, Hesperia, California and got a freight quote. They build to order which means post mold curing might create an unacceptable product. Then I started reading complaints all over the Internet about this outfit (Unlimited, not TF) and discovered Unlimited is unacceptable even before the item comes out of the mold.

So, who can you recommend to provide a 27 roadster glass body ????

I first saw Marv's Cheetah ( Cheetah? right?) at Bakersfield in 1965.

25. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I have a FG 27 roadster body w/opening trunk that's been made wider & higher by 3.5 in.[not done by them but lined up nice at seams,by owner be4 i got] I don't think I'm going to use,it's from;
    http://www.poli-form.com/Catalog/cat-body.html

You could try them,as I'm along way away.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  26. MrAmericanMade2

MrAmericanMade2
    from California

I have an ALL STEEL 1953 Thames, with 2x3 frame, with rollcage, and Calif. Registered, on a Non op at this time. It has been stored in my Garage for 30 years plus. ....... I will sell this 10 plus Body Only for $ 8,500. or with frame, and wheels as pictured for $ 14,000.
    I am The City of Vista, Calif. near Ocenside, Calif...... ( 714 ) 599 - 1124... George

I can't get the picture to show up here, so give me an e-mail, and I will send you a couple.

27. Mark Fox

Mark Fox

Try Pop Browns in the UK. They sell tons of parts for them cars.
    www.popbrowns.co.uk
    Hope this helps

28. butch27

butch27

I have one of their T bodies. The ONLY company that had a true 1917 body with the small firewall.

29. Please read this:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44274

Please post an Intro and put your for sale stuff in the classifieds

30. HOTMOPR

HOTMOPR

So are they gone? They built the nose for my Barracuda back in the mid 90s. I wanted to get another hood made.