Register now to get rid of these ads!

fiberglass teardrop hood

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wayne421, Mar 13, 2012.

1. wayne421

wayne421
    BANNED

Dose anybody know who makes a fiberglass tear drop hood for a 65 fairlane i know crites resteration makes them but i rather not deal with them

2. outlaw256

outlaw256

ive dealt wwith them. no problems. did you have trouble with them?

3. wayne421

wayne421
    BANNED

they make a great product i just cancled my hood today they are giving me the run around . i will not deal with the lady on the phones bs anymore...oh well the cant be the only ones that make the hood

4. Algon

Algon

Crites is not perfect but most of what you will find is thiers and severely marked up or made directly off thier parts rather poorly. Whoever that broad is she has no business talking to any customer ever. I was going to order a 64-65 Falcon front clip, around $1,200 worth of parts a few years ago but had a few questions since I normally mold my own stuff. Her mouth conviced me to mold those too.

To be fair thier quality is usually quite good for fiberglass in general but seems to have taken a nose dive from what the used to sell. The tear drop I'm currently putting on a 62 Galaxie is full of holes, is very thin, swelled on on side, sunk in on the other and the teardrop doubles as a bird bath.

Try Fiberglass Unlimited, US body Source etc. but I think your best bet is to post a want ad to find an older Crites that wasn't used.

5. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I sent them a personal email letting them know that they had a problem employee and that I wasn't involved but that I thought that they would want to know. I referenced the thread here for them to check out so they could see that I wasn't BS'n them. From the tone of their reply I don't think they took it very seriously. Oh, they thanked me but they also stood up for the employee and mentioned that some customers are just difficult. Whatever that means.:confused:

6. There is always JC Whitney for the teardrop and build your own

7. Algon

Algon

It's a small company and it's been this way for years. She's probably someone's wife that got put to work answering phones, hates it and gets off acting the way she does. I've joked about the personable service from Crites with many a friend and customer.

Maybe it's time to make some more molds.:D

8. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I had VFN (IL) make me a hood for my 65 Cuda with a "Tear-drop". Cant say enough about the quality and service from this can do company.

Attached Files:

9. wayne421

wayne421
    BANNED

I tried them they didn't make um for my fairlane

10. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

I only know of the Crites stuff, or make your own I guess...Good Luck

11. Had the same issues with lady on the phone, Jessica I think her name is. I've ordered quite a lot of parts from them and just keep telling myself the quality outweights her attitude. I have a teardrop hood, front and back fiberglass bumpers, trunk lid, and front fenders as well. The quality was excellent, but that was half a dozen years ago so it may have gone downhill since.

12. 61falcon

61falcon

i bought a vfn lift off hood for my falcon and then glued it to a stock hood frame that i pealed the hood skin off of. it was the only way to get a bolt on hood with a teardrop for my 61 falcon.

13. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Looks like I'll have to look harder for a teardrop for my Galaxie. Crites is the one I was gonna go with because of the related parts. I'll do more research now. I did customer service for years and dont take much bad service.
    Like they say, If you give good service your customers will tell 10 people, if you give bad service they'll tell everybody.

14. Ruben Duran

Ruben Duran

15. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Got to say that after 13 years my hood got its first spider crack over the winter. It took very little work to make the lines right on it when I got it and it was drilled and tapped perfect when it arrived. The shock tower kit also was a nice deal. Thats why I hate to hear about the bad experiences on here.

16. richie rebel

richie rebel

glasstak might sell them

17. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

Just got done ordering a Teardrop for my 1963 Falcon from Crites. I could not be happier. I talked to Mrs Crites and she was very professional. Said it was about 2 weeks lead time. This is the second hood I have ordered from them and still happy with the first one. I called Glasstec and they are local but were twice the price. I have used their hoods on my sons OT cars and have had good luck with them also.

18. easyissy

easyissy

19. speedway motors for $70. but its just the scoop only.

20. dearborn classics, sells the correct galaxie sized teardrop , it might be made by crites though i have 2 scoops (boss 429's) i got from crites ill be buying a teardrop from them soon

21. wayne421

wayne421
    BANNED

I'm just gonna have to buy it from crites

22. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Let us know about fit and finish when you get it. I have been thinking about one myself...Does it come with the screens ??

23. tpw35

tpw35

I got mine from Crites, it came with the screens and the fit and finish wasnt bad for fiberglass.

24. wayne421

wayne421
    BANNED

Got my hood from crites really nice ,great product .just a pain in the ass to get it

25. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

Have dealt with Jessica myself many times and have found her to be more than great each time i talk to her informative and gives you the straight scoop on how long even if its longer than you want it to be lol and being across the border its a pain with customs and crap.. yet have seen other places claiming to do great work and there product pales in comparision ill stay with crites and get the product i want for sure

Attached Files:

26. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Any pictures of the car now ?

27. Crites is where my pal Greg got his. HRP

[​IMG]

28. Those teardrop scoops are my favorite. I think they look good on Chevy's too =)

29. BobG

BobG

Lightning Fiberglass in Ohio made the glass hood and doors and decklid for my 65 Falcon, they do glass for Fairlanes too.
    The doors accept window regulators and window tracks just like stock doors.

Attached Files: