Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fiberglass scoop to steel or primer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Powerband, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Powerband

Powerband

Consensus on the SEARCH i did was that a panel adhesive - Fuzor type product then bondo for attaching Ford T'bolt type fibglas' bubble on OEM steel hood.

Is it recommended to use panel adhesive used over bare steel or epoxy primer?.

Thanks

Powerband

2. metalman

metalman

Not to be a smart a-- but it wouldn't matter. Fiberglass scoop and metal hood, it will crack eventually, never seen one that didn't. Engine heat, sunlight, the metal expands, the fiberglass doesn't (least not as much) can't help but crack at the seam.

3. ronnyg801

ronnyg801

I dont know if some of the new dis-similar material adhesives will hold up for good but they claim to. I know Lord Fusor makes the adhesive that bonds the carbon fiber to the aluminum in the new Vettes.

Go to your local body shop supply and ask them about Lord Fusors, 3M, Norton, Plio-Grip, Dominion. I am sure all of them are very similar in their chemical make up but the supplier may like one better and know how to make it work better, each have their own little idiosyncrasy's, having that direction can be a big help sometimes.

I personally would ASSUME if it is good enough for OEM and insurance companies it ought to not crack on a hood if done right.

4. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I have seen a bunch of 65-66 Mustang guys adhere Shelby hood scoops on and not have any problems. I actually had one for my 65 but never got around to installing it.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009

5. skullhat

skullhat

in the past i have stuck them on with epoxy, and they will stick fine, if done right. grind it good, and apply over bare metal

i really never liked the idea of glass parts on metal, but it will stick with epoxy, and im sure with some of the newer adhesives.

dont use polyester resin though , wont stick.

skull

6. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Guess thats why it didn't crack, huh? ;) :D

Thats basically the answer. You can make it stick on, but it probably won't last too long looking good.

7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Don't do it. Buy a glass hood and install it, or buy one with it on already.
    The only time 've seen them hold up, was when the owner put a LOAD of bondo over the seam, so it took longer to crack.