Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fiberglass Go-Cart Body

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bumpercarkid, Sep 7, 2008.

1. bumpercarkid

bumpercarkid
    from Orion, MI

How hard would it be to make a fiberglass go cart body to look just like a real car? Any idea of cost the fibberglass per square foot or whatever size it comes in? I'm hoping that someone has some answers.:D

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  2. daddio211

daddio211

There's lots of guys making glass bodies right now. There's a guy on eBay that has about 15 different styles for sale all the time. I bought a 1/3 scale '32 roadster body from the guys who make the "Pop Top", not Sid Chaver's Bop Top. The "Pop Top" is some sort of carbon fiber lift off top that just looks all wrong... but the 1/3 scale body they built for me is absolutely bitchin! VERY good detail and perfect scale!

3. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

I don't have any advice but I was just about to post a similiar question about building a wagon for my one year old. I want to build a 'lil kustom taildragger style. mostly of metal but 'glass fenders.

Come'on guys, their must be some excellent advice to give!

thanks,
    Jer

4. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Carve a buck from polystyrene, make a mold in thick glass. Make sure you spend time looking at it and make your mold come appart in a way that it is easy to get the body out without ruining the mold.
    Then start popping out body's. Its not too hard but materials will be expensive, were talking in the $1000 dollar range, you will want to sell some to make back the money so chose something that isn't already out there and is desirable.
    Do a web search, there is more detaild how too's out there. Its not going to be cheap.
    Doc.