Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fender well headers for a 54 chevy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GBchev, Aug 11, 2009.

1. GBchev

GBchev
    1. 49-54 Chevy Cars

Is there any one out there that knows a company that makes fender well headers for a 54 chevy 210 with a sbc? Also I am going for the low look I was told that if I ran fender wells I would have better exhaust clearence is this true or am I better off using and exhaust manifold or block hugged style header?

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if you are running the stock front suspension there is interference with the steering with conventional exhaust. there are a few factory exhaust manifolds that work, or sanderson makes headers for the stock steering. 55-57 265 exhaust manifolds work, but are not too efficient. someone on here used manifolds from a 90's chevy. not sure exactly which motor or car they came from.

not sure who makes fenderwell headers. time to google some header manufacturers

if you have a mustang II regular block huggers or a multitude of exhaust manifolds will work

3. synchro7

synchro7

Back in the dark ages, (1973), I put a 327 in a 53 Chevy two door sedan. After trying about 15 different sets of headers I found a set of fenderwells designed for a 58 Chevy with a small block fit perfectly. Built a set of side pipes for it. And it sounded great.
    Tom

4. GBchev

GBchev
    1. 49-54 Chevy Cars

What company makes them and 58 what? Truck or car?

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

It was Tugman, AKA TPost, that has a journal of his 51 sedan. I followed his lead and used 94-95 Chevrolet Caprice, "cop car", LT-1, cast iron exhaust manifolds. I removed the sheet metal shielding, drilled some extra exhaust flange holes (they were designed with the 7 bolt exhaust flange heads), plugged and welded up the air injection nozzle holes, along with the O2 sensor hole, painted them with flat black Bar-B-Q paint, and they look great. They fit very well, but do require a little extra sheet metal removal from the firewall supports. They look like they flow well with individual runners/ports. They are close to the pitman arm on full left turn, but nothing touches. I'm happy with them. Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  6. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

In the '53 I'm running stock '89 Caprice V8 manifolds. Welded up the emissions/o2 ports. Fits perfect, no issues with steering. I also have a set of early 80's Chevy Fullsize Pickup V8 manifolds that are practically the same thing but not emissions ports. They fit the same, just look a little weird with their castings.

If you clip the car, damn near any header will fit, but with the stock steering setup, you're pretty much out of luck.

If you want real fenderwell headers, I'd imagine any SBC fenderwell header would work, might require some tweaking of the #7 runner to clear the column.

Here's mine during the build.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. BEER102

BEER102

These are hooker block hugger headers, updated to a mustang II with air bags and a rack and pinion . plenty of room whan lowered...

Attached Files:

8. synchro7

synchro7

I don't remember if they wre for a car or truck. To many years ago. First thing to go is the memory.

9. Is anyone even still carrying headers for '58 Chevy be it either one? 1973 is before I was even born, for pete's sake.

Unless you're building a race car, take your pick of stockers. Among the ones guys use on the left - Chevy 77-80 ish Monza 265/305, 88-up Chevy pickup (may be found in vans also), the mid-90s LT1s (found in Buick and Olds as well as Caprice), and I think even the ones in my Suburban (81-91 Suburbans, 87-up TBI only have an O2 sensor hole to plug) will work based on the photos above, dumps in the same place but the runner is below the spark plugs (clearance on the pitman may be tight but if the 88-up that dumps at the rear will work then these should too).

Worst case you can buy them at the junkyard for a few bucks, around here I can hit a you-pull-it and pay like $10-$20 a shot for them.

10. As a header manufacturer I can tell you that I would NEVER reccomend fenderwell headers for a lowereed car - Ever! No tire clearance, collectors point at and near the ground. Use short block huggers.

11. GBchev

GBchev
    1. 49-54 Chevy Cars

Thanxs I appreciate all your help

12. Terry

Terry

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

another thing... watch out if you use rear dump manifolds. I had some on my last 49 and when the brake pedal got a little soft the brake arm went down and hit the exhaust before it stopped the car. drove right past my driveway.

had sanderson headers about a week later.

14. GBchev

GBchev
    1. 49-54 Chevy Cars

How good are those sanderson headers

15. sanderson headers are fine.

Patriot headers makes what you need for the 210. So does Hedmon as does Hooker.

The patriots are going to be the least pricey of the bunch.
    I know that Summit Racing handles all 3 and if you contact them they'll be able to hook you up.

Disclaimer:

I am in no way affiliated with any of the above mentioned products or services.