Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fender Laws

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by QQMOON, Oct 18, 2008.

1. QQMOON

QQMOON

Whats the GO over there we would dearly like FENDER EXEMPTION over here............. how is the Law worded or explained is it conditional ?? your input is much appreciated ..............

QQ

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  2. It's a state by state thing over here. Some states require fenders on everything, some I believe have weight limitations( under 1800 lbs./no fenders required) and some have no laws concerning fenders. As an example, I believe Pennsylvania repealed required fender laws in recent years.(Some of you Pa. folks could perhaps shed some light on this?). I think California used to have the 1800lb. limit (which pretty much allowed only T-buckets to run fenderless) but, I think that has been changed as well. In summation, it just depends on each state's laws as well as the level of enforcement local police care to pursue. Don't know how active SEMA is over there but, they have been very instrumental in their lobbying efforts to keep anti-hobbyist laws off the books here. Contact your legislators at all levels, local and national, and let them know your feelings. Write letters, send E-mails,make phone calls. It may take years but, you gotta start somewhere. And be vigilant about any new laws being considered that could detrimentally impact your hobby.

3. roadsterbob

roadsterbob

The laws vary from state to state.
    Here in Texas, fenders are optional.
    In California a car of less than 1600 pounds is legal without fenders.
    In Pennsylvania fenders are mandatory.
    Every state has some variation of this kind of shit.

I am surprised the federal government has not stepped in to squash this unholy problem!

4. I think Pa. recently repealed their mandatory fender law. Not sure, any of you Pa. guys out of bed yet?:)

5. Phil1934

Phil1934

6. Wow, That's very interesting the way they worded the law. If I'm reading it correctly, any vehicle CURRENTLY registered as a Street Rod doesn't have to meet the fender,hood,bumper inspection requirements but, any newly constructed or re-constructed vehicle does. That seems a little strange. Any of you Pa. guys have trouble getting a newly constructed fenderless car through inspection? Sorry,didn't intend to hijack this thread but, it all does seem relevant.

7. Minnesota Statute

169.734 AUTOMOBILE FENDERS.
    Every passenger automobile shall have fenders, or other devices, that are designed to
    prevent, as far as practicable, water, dirt, or other material being thrown up and to the rear by
    the wheels of the vehicle.

However... I got a ticket once, from a MN state trooper, for no fenders.... I planned to defend it by saying that the fenders were removed to be used for the war effort during WW2, but the judge threw it out before trial.

8. Do you think that maybe the judge was a closet HAMBer?:)

9. Most places it does not matter Q. I will try and dig up South Dakotas code. I have the site bookmarked for reference.

10. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

11. GuyW

GuyW

Looks like new cars have to have that stuff to get registered...then it can be taken off....

12. Davkin

Davkin
    from SLC, Utah

In case anybody cares this is Utah's law;

Fenders, bumpers and hoods are optional on replica vehicles 1935 and
    older. Exhaust systems may discharge along the side provided they
    discharge at a point behind the rear edge of the door and exhaust is
    directed away from the vehicle. The ground clearance for replica vehicles
    shall meet the 3 inches ground clearance requirements of U.C.A. 41-6a-
    1631. The vehicle identification for a replica vehicle shall be a number
    stamped on the frame of the vehicle, or if no such numbers, as
    established pursuant to R873-22-15M Department of Motor Vehicle Rules

By replica vehicle they mean any vehicle with a replica body of 1935 or older or an original body with significant drivetrain upgrades, (ie a hot rod.)

David

13. QQMOON

QQMOON

Thanks for your input so far BTTT

QQ

14. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

The presedent of our car club got pissed abought getting stoped for no fenders, so he went to the dmv sat down with the the big wigs showed them of his car. He told them this was american hot rodding. Thay changed the law. Now street rods can run without fenders. We all thought he was crazy to try and fight them. He won ,thats why he has been our president for ten years. LIKE I HAVE SAYED BEFORE I CANT SPELL WORTH A SHIT.

15. 32 Barn Car

32 Barn Car
    from Oregon

Oregon has a fender / no fender law. You dont need fenders but its kind of a fair weather law. Cant drive in the rain (rains alot here) or gravel / dirt type roads without fenders.Makes it nice to drive without fenders in the
    summers though..........

16. 41 C28

41 C28

I ask an Ohio State Highway Patrol Trooper who was a speaker at our car club meeting. His answer was "I don't know" but I can find out. I don't know either but I think its like someone else said don't think they say much unless you're driving like an dumb ass.

17. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

If your car is registered as a street rod and run streer rod plates, you don't need fenders or bumpers.

18. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

In Michigan the vehicle code is called act 300 of 1949. 257.27A says a vehicle will have left and right front fenders as part of the major components. Notice no mention of rear fenders. I have never been stopped in either Ca where I spent the major part of my life or in Mi where I have lived for 4 years. If you don't act like a fool the cops usually leave you alone.

19. Good Wood

Good Wood
    from pa

Or Hood.