Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fender Law who has one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harvey Mushman, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Rumor has it up here in British Columbia that Johnny Law has started to crack down on fender less hot rods. I know the law has been in place for years here, but unless you were really doing something wrong they generally left you alone. Does each state have a fender law, and do you guys get hassled much? If so what do you run for fenders on a car that was built to run without?

2. hellbound gasser

hellbound gasser

I know that california has a 1500lb weight limit (car weighs less, doesnt need fenders), that isnt enforced. Vegas last year, a bunch of guys got pulled over for it but no tickets as far as i know.

3. wyoming

wyoming
    from My house

this is why i love living in Wyoming if they have fender law they don't enforce it hell i even get away with running straight pipes on my 86 dodge don't have im or safety so all the emissions bullshit is gone too

4. zoomy

zoomy

You have to work around the Maryland law to not run fenders. If you have regular tags, you need everything that was on the vehicle; bumpers, turn signals, fenders, etc, or you can get a inspection ticket. If you have Street Rod tags you pretty much can get away without bumpers and fenders but the vehicle has to be +25 years old.

My VW friends find titles for +25 year old Beetles when building sand rails to drive on the street to get around the fender law and State Vehicle Inspections. They would register the vehicle as a Street Rod. I guess the same would be true with any fenderless hotrod.

I would really like to register my 28 Tudor with regular tags but it may be too much of a PITA taking a 80 year car through a MD State Inspection Station. I don't even think that they could inspect it since the inspection manual only covers vehicles back to 1968.

5. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Washington has a fair weather fender law for pre-WW2 cars only. There is no weight restriction. We're not supposed to drive without them in the rain.They don't bother us that I know of.

6. Saskatchewan has a fair weather law. Also front bumper exemption. No front license plate. A couple of guys fought hard here years ago to get us some hot rod friendly laws. No emissions or mechanical testing either, although a mechanical inspection wouldn't bother me. It would keep some of the crap off the road, and I don't mean just hot rods. Pat.

7. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I would imagine that any state that has a mudflap law will have a fender law.

8. Bikertrash

Bikertrash
    from Boise

Idaho has a law allowing pre-1935 cars to run without fenders. No help for my '36 chevy truck. Most have no idea what year it is anyway. I pack a toothy grin and extra donuts.:)

9. CruZer

CruZer

Mass. has a fenderless law. Any vehicle 1948 or older or registered as 1948 or older isn't required to have fenders,but your are suppossed to have some sort of mudflap device according to the DMV.

Before this law was passed you only got hassled if you were screwing around , same after the law was passed.