Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Feed back on lifters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sunbeam, Sep 23, 2018.

1. sunbeam

sunbeam

Has anyone had experance with this style of solid lifter . How much added cam life and friction loss.https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-91118 I was hopeing to find some for early hemis because of having to use regrind cams.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've installed 2 sets, as well as a few of Crower hydraulic lifters with the oil slot cut down the side. No issues and no noticed oil pressure loss with a standard pump. I consider it more of an insurance policy. I'm not aware of any claimed friction loss improvement or any performance gains. Just more oil at the cam / lifter contact area.

3. Better than grooving the block and it's only 10 bucks a lifter. Looks good to me if you've ever lost a cam before!

4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Old tech. Been around 20+ years.
    Works well for what it's intended for. The hole is so small, the pressure gauge won't notice any oil pressure loss. Really helps with high spring pressures.
    Probably helps with today's oils (made for modern roller camed engines) too.

Mike

5. finn

finn

Tried that thirty years ago when I was employed by a Diesel engine manufacturer in engine R&D.

Didn’t work. The hydrodynamic film pressure in the contact zone is higher than the gallery pressure so oil would theoretically flow backwards, from the cam into the lifter when you need it the most. Dino tests showed no durability improvement.

Tried ceramic wafers on the lifter, but ended up going to rollers across the board.

Got a performance benefit too, because the cam could be more aggressive at the same, or lower cam to lifter stress.