Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***February 2017 Banger Meet - Valentines and 4 Cylinders***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jan 30, 2017.

1. That was fast......

2. A number of years ago (like decades) the SCCA built the Buttonwillow Raceway, essentially to the West side of the junction of I-5 and Lerdo Highway (just East of Bakersfield). It's about 14 miles North of the town of Buttonwillow.
    It's a really good track, with hookups for RV's, racing fuel, a tire shop, a racing gear shop and a snack bar. We go every year to the Vintage Auto Racing Association (VARA) "British Extravaganza. VARA is one of the only "every man's club" that offers a separate race for PreWar cars. That way they keep the "hopped Up" junkyard spam can 70's and 80's stuff in their own races. VARA's very much like the old California Sportscar Club that I used to run with when I was a kid. During the weekend (spectators and crews alike pay a $10.00 track entry the is good both days) there's a nifty little car show. An entry fee to race is considerably higher.
    The photo is of the pre-grid to the start of our event at Buttonwillow Raceway. 20160423_103651.jpg

3. Yeah Jim,

I've got all my old stuff; but they won't let me run with it. They're afraid I might "Poke my Eye Out".
    PaperArtist_2013-07-04_13-25-59 (2).jpg
    Besides my old coveralls show my "Pot Belly" and the open helmet shows my baggy eyes, the lids of which hold three days of rainwater!

chriseakin likes this.
  4. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Was going to drive a 1933 Studebaker Two-man Indy Car at Elkart Lake. There was a magazine guy that was supposed to ride with me. So I got into the race car at the Museum and slid over the seat and under the wheel. Come on get I said He claimed in and we fit OK. I told him that when we exited the pits and before the first turn he would need to unbuckle the belt. He looked at me and asked "What if there's an accident?" You same get in here. The only way out is right thru you! Richard just looked at me ...... I said "I'LL THROW YOU CLEAR!!!!" He never got back in the car again ...... Some people are just not Racing Drivers:rolleyes:

I have a lot of old helmets and goggles....... you just need a set off dark lenses

5. Hi all, Hope to see some of you at the Sacramento Autorama's F.A.S.T. Group of Banger cars. I will be there!
    (Just wanted to also share this Banger Race lineup at T.R.O.G.West)
    [​IMG]

6. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

7. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Joe, cool pic. I wont be able to make it to Sacramento, but it would be appreciated if you manage to take some pics and post them here. Thanks

Dannerr likes this.
  8. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Found this in Germany for my 32
    The seller gave me a discount because it was missing one gauge

s:w dash copy 1.JPG

Basically NOS .... proving that stuff is still out there ..... It was US$120! Note the double temp gauge you can keep track of both sides of a V-8 separately

Jet96, grumpy32, chriseakin and 3 others like this.
  9. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

nice find !

10. noboD

noboD

Bluto, is that a Clum ignition switch? Still time to book a flight for Hershey to find that ammeter?

11. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Went with the car .... guys along with an NOS brook lands racing steering wheel

Doug
    That is a light switch for a boat...... It's an S/W dash for a boat. I have so much dash dash board stuff. Collected over so many years I really don't miss it or need any more. I was looking thru photos today and thought I share this with you guys...... I was actually looking for the WWII fighter plane harness sets photos. The older I get the more I'm focusing on the stuff I'll build and finish
    One thing I'll not sell is the Original Winfield sign I got from my friend after he died.
    All the motorcycles are for sale and several of the race cars..... 1930's BMWs the trucks except for the GMC .... Z's collection we will keep maintain and restore, but most of my stuff.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    PAracer and Dannerr like this.
  12. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I am a little late to the Party this month!! Checking in.

13. Only shot I have seen of a Simmons head is in a museum shot. Anyone know if they really came with the lettering painted? seems like a lot of work for back in the day.

Attached Files:

Dannerr likes this.
  14. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Here are a few pics I found on the net of the Simmons. I am sure I have seen an original ad in one of my SOSS magazines. I will have a look and post it here if I can find it.
    Simmons 1.jpg Simmons 2.jpg Simmons 3.jpg Simmons 4.jpg

Jet96, biggeorge and chriseakin like this.
  15. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Miller OHV arrived today :)
    DSCF3307.JPG DSCF3308.JPG DSCF3311.JPG

slv63, biggeorge, T-roaster and 8 others like this.
  16. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Waxy

Looks good. Please put light valve stings in(one's you can put down easily) fit it to an empty block and check the bores. Push the valves down and make sure they clear the bores. Just an idea to save you any problems you might not spot once it's assembled.

Looks really shiny :cool:

waxhead and Dannerr like this.
  17. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Bluto, thanks for the advice.

18. RussTee

RussTee

very nice head who made it?

19. If you liked T.R.O.G., you're gonna love this event. It's on a paved airstrip on the Historic Santa Margarita Ranch in San Luis Obispo County California. Difference between this and Pismo Beach (or, for that matter the Jersey Shore) you're not pick'n sand and salt outta your ride nor your teeth 'til the next Millennium! Steak BBQ Friday night and unlimited electronic timed runs. Register early! "Just your usual F.A.S.T. event!" you say? Have a another think!

Attached Files:

biggeorge, edfueler, waxhead and 3 others like this.
  20. Yup, by all means don't plop that head on the block and call it "Good"!
    Clean up the ports, size (and ream if need be) the valves to the guides, put a three angle grind on the valves; and mock the whole thing up. The mock up should not only check valve clearance; but assure that you don't have valve springs "bottoming" and rocker arms bound up. If you have a "Full Pressure Block", put a restrictor in the oil line into the head (at the head). A .040 Stromberg 97 jet makes a good restrictor. And one last thing: When dealing with aftermarket stuff, put Permatex non-hardening thread sealer in any thing you screw into it. With something like a block or cylinder head; if you don't seal the threads, you'll probably end up with a Lawn Sprinkler.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    biggeorge and waxhead like this.
  21. Yeah those are what I saw,. I can't imagine them doing that lettering in a production head shop though. Doesn't matter, going to letter mine.

waxhead and Dannerr like this.
  22. Muttley

Muttley

Still looking...................anyone?

biggeorge likes this.
  23. Muttley

Muttley

Does anyone have a video of a stock Banger with a straight pipe? I'm curious how this would sound without he muffler. Too harsh or loud?

24. It will sound like a tractor. Not a pissed off tractor just a tractor. Pull the tailpipe off and fire it up

25. Muttley

Muttley

I've heard it with just the manifold and no pipe, there's no way it would be that loud. The tailpipe has been rerouted to exit at the back of the running board, it was too close to the brake line after the juice brakes were installed. I've also heard one with a Cherry Bomb and it sounded horrible. I tried to tell him to just eliminate the muffler when the previous one had a baffle break off inside but one of the guys in the local Model A club gave him another stock one to put on.

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

It is...quite audible, Muttley. Sounds like: "BRRRAAATTT!"
    First time I heard a banger with a straight pipe was in 1953, at Johnny Freitas' Standard station, where the real hot rods hung out. (Santa Clara, CA)
    The straight piped '30 A roadster was full fendered, 15" Kelseys all around...no hood sides, car was clean...(kinda like a 'resto', but hot rodded) A single exhaust dropped down in a gentle curve, exiting under the edge of the running board. There was NO muffler.
    Two jugs, (Stromberg 81s) older guy. Musta been 30! He told me his name, "Lucky"...
    I asked some of the other guys how fast "Lucky's" 4 cylinder was. They all said, "Lucky?!? Oh, you mean 'Stinky'. He's pretty fast, beats most of the V8s!"
    When "Stinky" fired it up, it had a roar that the V8s didn't. It 'crackled', hurt the eardrums. V8s straight out sounded more 'tuned', like the radial engines of 'older' planes.
    Sorry to 'rant', but that sound is rare...makes me SERIOUSLY want to build an 'A' 'Banger.

27. I don't have the video saved that I can repost but if you go to my Instagram and scroll down about 89 weeks there's a video of my engine running with an open pipe header the "cone" is built into the headers. The thumbnail is two 97's. The motor is stock with only a Snyder head and over carbed with the 2 97's. Look for the picture of the Studebaker tailgate and a 106 temp screen shot it's just after those in the far right column. If I knew how to repost it I would.

28. Titus has a complete one for sale with 97 carb.

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

waxhead,
    Yes, fairly rare is the Simmons head / setup as you pictured here. Had to sell my Simmons setup to partly finance another rare head setup ! The guy (back east) has the whole simmons enchilada on his A engine now.

30. fourd

fourd
    from Colorado

I have a "lakes" header on my car w/ 2 into 1. I run baffles because when I pulled them out it was really loud and the car fell on its face. I think a little back pressure is needed. My other car has a 4 to 1 header, 2" exhaust and glass pack. and it sounds like my Mom's MG....:eek: IMHO a straight 2" exhaust to the back sounds great.
    I will try to post a video.