Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Fear & Loathing The Cold

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Fear & Loathing The Cold

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Blue One, tractorguy and biggeorge like this.
  2. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Your'e a puss :)
    It's supposed to be in the mid fifties here in Northern Utah tomorrow. I'm loving it! But when you're not from the cold and it gets that cold its hell. Stay inside!

3. LAROKE

LAROKE

I hear ya. I had to break out my Hawaiian flannel shirts a couple of weeks ago here in Florida.

4. floored

floored

Love the roadster with tire chains!

5. Voh

Voh

Its funny how the roadster was in two different pictures, both with rear tire chains on. I don't think he was "caught" in the snow.
    The one pic with a crazy amount of ice is actually a picture of them putting out the fire in the multistory building in the back. I bet that car was completely ruined by just being parked too close to the building.

6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

1CDAFCB9-0025-4CC5-B217-BBD11E3338ED.jpeg I camped in my tent a couple weekends ago. Got down to -5*f. Woke up at about 3am with my eyelids frozen shut. I'm doing it again this weekend. But it'll be warm...20*+!
    I love the cold. It keeps the ppl who are afraid of it out of my way.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Tim_with_a_T, Tman, raven and 12 others like this.
  7. Cold sucks. Sam Barris Merc.
    49merc-sam-barris.jpg

kidcampbell71, Stogy, HEMI32 and 5 others like this.
  8. I know most of the world thinks we live in igloos. But we rarely get snow around these parts. The last few days it's been in the upper 40s and sunny. Was nice to be able to drive around in the A-bomb.

j-jock, Hendee and Blue One like this.
  9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Pretty strange weather this year, Texas and even most of the south has had FAR more snow than eastern Colo. at 6000+ ft. altitude, even Pikes Peak is pretty much bare.

PunkAssGearhead88 likes this.
  10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

F414B080-3096-4026-AF24-A5F6DB362324.jpeg 716CE116-1364-48CD-A608-8ED59EC2D8F4.jpeg BED740F0-E635-438D-9674-79CAE75F7458.jpeg
    My T, a random Chevy truck and my ‘41 Ford tractor in the snow.

11. Paul

Paul
    Editor

all of Ryan's pictures with people's faces in them make it look fun

12. I hear you Ryan,I hate cold weather and that's why I live in the South but I'm afraid one of our Northern members left the door open again! HRP

Stogy, Blue One, sidevalve8ba and 2 others like this.
  13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

how in the heck did people live in these freezing places 100 years ago? it has to be bad enough even now.

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The Houston area got rain, sleet, wind and last night, the roads and some freeway ramps froze up. Weatherman said it was 19 degrees. City officials said, "Stay home. Unless you have to be out." Sound advice, if you're not used to driving in the stuff. But what amazes me are the people who suddenly "have" to be somewhere. They complain about a job they hate and on a day when they have a free pass to sit at home, suddenly they "have" to be at the job they hate.

Houston rarely gets conditions like this and the city is doing what they can to keep the roads safe. So, staying home is the thing to do. They really don't want to dodge "ice road cowboys", while they're de-icing the freeway. Maybe there's an office award for those that slide into work or wreck their car in the attempt. This weather was forecast 3 days ago. Plenty of time to get those things you'd need, when this happened.

Personally, I think it's kinda cool, looking at footage of 59 South and seeing no cars on it. We need a day like this once a month.

15. And a damn big door at that.Is global cooling a real thing?

Bruce Fischer and Atwater Mike like this.
  16. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's one that Paul Kruse used to own. Paul Kruse Snowcat.jpg Paul Kruse Snowcat1.jpg Paul Kruse Snowcat2.jpg

Tman, raven, slack and 10 others like this.
  17. 42˚18'N 83˚09'W

42˚18'N 83˚09'W

Oh stop... It warmed up to 26 deg above 0 today. Not exactly balmy but better than it has been. Look at the bright side... It's 88 below 0 in Siberia today and they're happy because there's no wind!

Beau, pat59, biggeorge and 1 other person like this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Having lived in Central Texas for 8 years (McGregor) I can say that 15 to 20 F in Texas is more miserable than 0 and possibly -10 is up north. It's a different cold that just flat goes though you.
    Works the other way around in summer too, Our 100 up north is flat miserably hot most of the time while 100 in Texas is just another hot day that you make sure the neighbor who doesn't have ac has their fan working.

belair likes this.
  19. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can put more clothes on to keep warm, than you can take off to keep cool (without a lot of aplause, at least in my case........:D)

raven, blowby, Beau and 1 other person like this.
  20. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I spent most of the winter of 1975-76 in San Antonio. It suddenly got cold and snowed one day. People were out making snowmen and throwing snowballs. Two hours later it warmed up and all the snow went away. :)

I had a cold all the time I was in Texas that winter the didn't go away until I got back up to the cold. I assume it was allergies since I have very severe problems with them.

My first OTR trucking job I just followed where the freight would lead me and I spent a lot of time trucking in the south during the winter months, all I could. :)

It's finally warming up around here, been colder than heck for too long to suit me. I've heated with wood for years and I'm getting to the point where me cutting and splitting it is a real problem, a wobbly old guy with heart problems running a chainsaw scares my family and friends. The guy a started buying wood from has turned out to be unreliable and my last order is now over 2 weeks late. I called him the other day and told him that I only had 5 hours worth of wood left but he said, sorry, I don't know what I can do for you. So, there I was out in the woods cutting in below zero weather, the idea of buying wood was so I didn't have to be out there and I just can't get enough cut anymore to get ahead on the wood supply.

I'm slowly converting to other forms of heat but I only have 2 speeds anymore, slow and stop. :(

My Brother and Dad with the 1956 Ford Dad gave me when I turned 14 - [​IMG]

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Today’s post is late is because I spent over an hour trying to scrape the ice off the windshield of my ’64 F100 with a broken CD case. My hands are numb. My teeth are chattering… And I’m dreaming of kicking mother nature right in the teeth. Hard. Bitch has it coming.

You know, if it was me and I lived in Austin "Texas baby", I'd be heading to the nearest TexMex joint for a chili omelette for breakfast.
    That will keep your windshield clear.

22. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

Sorry HRP if I left the northern door open! I was taught to share and share alike! I almost feel sorry for Ryan.... not... Guess I rather have winter than hurricanes etc etc.

leadfootloon and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  23. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

24. 47* today and 50's tomorrow in this "cold" northern country. I will say I was in Panama City Florida back around the first two weeks of December and it got down into the 40's and I'll admit it I was freezing.

Sent from my A521L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. 0nedon

0nedon

26. Global warming? WTF?
    I've always wanted to move south so I could enjoy my car hobby year round.
    Glad I didn't do it this year!
    Today it is +4c or 40f, almost tropical for this time of year.

Atwater Mike and hotrodharry2 like this.
  27. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Here a little warmth to help you guys thaw out.
    [​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  28. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Funny that up here in the North, the Pacific Northwest, it has been crazy warm for the middle of January. On Monday it was 60 degrees, so we took the ol' boat out for spin...
    26730735_10155980653184437_3249465699232746255_n.jpg

(before anyone scoffs, the boat is age appropriate to the JJ)

29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Couldn’t find @Rocky old beater in the snow photo but while I wait for him to post it, couldn’t you have just turned the defroster on for an hour in that last model and saved the effort?

That being said I’m fine with snow but this ice is bullshit

30. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

It freezes in the 40's in Florida? o_O

Pinstriper40, pat59 and Speedwrench like this.