Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fear & Loathing The Classic Car Dealer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 20, 2011.

1. crosleykook

crosleykook
    from sackamento

That's exactly it. There's a difference between being a capitalist and being a crook - and that difference is that if you lie when you're selling something, you're a crook.

It all goes back to my rule of thumb: Anything you've got to lie about to do ain't worth doing.

2. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

My f*#kin point exactly...well stated:)

3. Just another used car lot with a "Classy" name.

4. If this thread was started by someone else, it would've been closed by now.

Back to Hot Rods.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, probably... But it's my website... The double standard doesn't bother me, so you are stuck with it.

6. slammed

slammed

Bottom line, its taking advantage of your fellow man. No 'skill' only deception, like Poker. Do not try to sell me otherwise.

7. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Amen to that..

8. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

As a retired Air Force Chief, I like your attitude ! :):):)

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

"Might makes Right", eh? That is a really poor answer........IMO

Ray

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Makes me wonder about your character as well..........

Ray

11. Old&Low

Old&Low

Back in the early 70's I knew a 'Car Dealer' in Eastern New Mexico. He wasn't a "Classic Car Dealer;" he just liked Corvettes, so, consequently, he stocked mostly Vettes. There were more Vettes in this little sleepy town than in the rest of the state combined! I'm sure many folks looked at him as a shyster complete with Burgundy pants, White 'Bucks' and White belt, but he was a 'pal' and I bought more than one Corvette from him myself. Come to think of it I'm gettin madder by the minute! I wish I could find that SOB and cuss him out for selling me that "Plum Crazy' '67 Vette Roadster with the factory 435 HP 427 for $2500, or the '57 two top Vette with the SPARE Fuelie unit in the trunk for $2000. What a snake!

12. slammed

slammed

Has anyone ask you to stay Ray?

13. Fenders

Fenders

I'll ask him to stay, I like reading his opinions....

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Don't understand your question. No, no one has aked me to stay, nor has anyone asked me to leave. Is it that you don't like reading other's opinions......and apparently don't like mine...........or, that you think if I disagree with others on here, and most especially with the CIC, I should just bow out?

If you care to do a search, you will find the preponderance of my posts have to do with particpating in technical issues in which I either am learning something or felt that I had something useful to offer in answering a question asked by another HAMBer.

This post was not originated by me, as you well know. Nor was it restricted in who could reply or what they could or should say, but was and is open to a free exchange of opinions.

Tell me, please, what exactly is your beef with my comments and why should it matter to me.

Ray

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  15. RichG

RichG

What, somebody gets snarky with him and he can't respond in like?

16. slammed

slammed

This one.

17. slammed

slammed

Calling his character into question.

18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ray's response was fine. His opinion differs from mine and that's okay...

I think it's pretty important for folks to understand that when it comes to topics like this, there is no way that any of us is going to be able to change another's opinion on the deal. Just the way it is.

At the end of the day, you either trust the classic car dealer industry or ya don't.

Ray, I want you to stay.

19. slammed

slammed

Understood. I am protective (to a fault) of you and this board.

20. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Well, in my opinion of course, oh, and experience too.....when the best answer you have to a challenge is (paraphrased) "because I CAN, that's why" it indcates one or more of a couple of things. First that comes to mind is, you don't have a good reason, i.e. one that is based in principle, unless your principle is solely self interest. A position that was disavowed in the original post.

It implies that one is dealing from a 'power' position as opposed to a reasonable evaluation of an issue on it's merits. Sort of like "It's my ball and bat and therefore I can make any rule I please, even if it's different for me than you, and if you don't like it, tough." Sound like the kind of attitude you want foisted on you? I doubt it.

To the question of character.......that is a term, so far as I know, that describes how a person approaches a situation that requires a decision to be made. The real issue is when that decision can be made in one's own favor or in favor of another. If the decision is made based on principle, for example " it is my principle I will never lie to save myself from an unpleasant consequence" or "I will never steal anything from anyone, even if there is no chance I will get caught" or "I will always try to see the other fellow's point of view, and take it into consideration, even if I have the power to ignore his position and get away with it."

Character, in my mind, and I think the minds of most thoughtful people, is doing the right thing regardless of whether or not you will be found out or whether or not you have the upper hand and can just impose your will on others. That last point is what I was implying in both posts.

Ray

Ryan and Slammed...your posts occurred while I was composing the above. Ryan I appreciate your comments and willingness to accept the give and take in this discussion.

21. oj

oj

Ray, your posts read like a government document - can't you just come out and say what you mean?

22. slammed

slammed

Ray, your prose reads of an Ivy League graduate. A closet politician/lawyer/teacher? Imposing ones will is what each of us do everyday. Taking a stance on a given issue. I rest my case now. -Nick.

23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Sorry fellows.......it's just my nature. It has been said of me... "ask him what time it is and he'll tell you how to make a watch".

Ray

24. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I want to throw another turd in the punch bowl on this subject. I recently put an add in Hemmings to sell my 1966 Olds Toronado. You can't believe the number of bottom feeders that have called asking me to list the car on their website for upwards of $200. These are "so called dealers" that sponge off of legitimate ads in other publications. Even though my Toro is a classic and according to the VIN, was built in late 1965, I'm unable to list it in the HAMB classifieds!

25. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

here is a recent story that may shed some light on how I add value to a particular vehicle.

I spotted an ad on Craig's List for a 1956 GMC 3/4 ton NAPCO 4x4. Certainly not for everybody, but highly desired by some. I love them.

It was only thirty miles from home.

I was leaving for Indy to attend the Mecum Auction at 3:00AM the next morning and had to work late that night. I really didn't want to hassle with it, but felt the price was reasonable enough to make it worth a couple hours of my time.

It was after dark when I arrived at his house. I had the two place trailer behind me and cash in my pocket.

After inspecting the truck, it was MOSTLY as he stated. He hadn't told me the paint was dull and the seat was in need of reupholstering or covering. The entire truck was painted white, including the bumper, grill and emblems. The interior was dirty, the mirror was missing.

He did not know if the NAPCO worked! He was "afraid" to find out. I wasn't. It worked just fine. The big, tall tires were like new. There was no rust. The bed floor was replaced by treated plywood.

I offered the seller $900 less than advertised and he refused. I offered to meet him in the middle and he refused. He wouldn't give me a $450 discount. I left. It was almost ten when I got home and I hadn't eaten.

About four days later, he called back and asked me to return, as his wife was very upset with him for not taking my last offer. I agreed to come back, but suggested he needed to compensate me for another two hour trip and my fuel. I asked for another $50 discount. He agreed.

So I bought the truck for $500 less than his asking price.

Now it was time to add value:

We buffed it, polished it and waxed. We mixed up touch-up paint and dolled it up. We hand painted the emblems the correct color. We ordered and installed the correct mirror. We made certain all the lights, including dash, worked properly. We got the horn working and aligned the steering wheel. (These are VERY common issues we deal with). I spent a good two hours degreasing the engine. We tidied up some wiring, checked ALL fluids, replenished those that needed it, changed the oil and correctly inflated the tires. We installed a slip on seat cover. We removed all the duct tape glue and overspray from the glass and detailed the interior.

Our investment was about $300, plus 16 hours of time.

We took some good photos, advertised it on three different sites and described it accurately.

We stated that it had the very desireable 316 Pontiac V8, it had WORKING NAPCO 4x4 and that it was a documented 35xxx mile truck from South Dakota. I also drove it and was able to relate my driving experience in the advertising.

We held it in inventory a month. In that time, we took it to events that would possibly attract a buyer. Last night, we took it to the local drive-in movie theatre and displayed it during the movie CARS 2. You can imagine how much the kids loved seeing "Tow Mater", even though it isn't real close to the movie character.

Today, it was sold. The buyer saw it advertised, came and inspected it two days ago and kept repeating how surprised he was that it was in such good condition. I went back to the shop after hours to show it, and I stood in the rain while he checked it out. He was one of those guys, like myself, that loved the size, NAPCO and V8.

We ended up with a gross profit of $2300. We need very close to $2000 of that to cover our cost of doing business, so it wasn't a huge deal.

But we had some fun with it, so that is a big value to me.

In summary, we improved the truck, advertised it globally and correctly touted the trucks features, quality and characteristics. We gave him a couple of days to ponder his decision. We had the truck in a location that worked for him and we offered some storage until he could get a ride back to drive it home. All of this is value.

In the end, our NET profit was somewhere around $500. And that is MY return on investment of both $$$$ and time.

and I BEAT the seller out of $500, made two after hours trips with the trailer to get it and that turned out to be my NET profit. woooohoooo!

Our reward is not over. We have an ecstatic customer that feels he just discovered a priceless gem. He will be back and so will his friends.

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Add the fact that you educated someone that never read the term "NAPCO 4x4", I Googled it to find out it is an aftermarket 4x4 drive conversion. Thanks! Bob

27. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

Heres a story.
    Guy comes by a place of business looking for work on his car. Business goes and looks at car with a friend. Tells owner of car "it will cost you to much to fix than its worth and gives a price" and notices another car parked to the side. Offers are made and this guy feels like he has averted a finacial disaster and made some money to boot. Both guys from shop buy both cars for pennies on the dollar, one for each of them.
    With some cleaning one car goes for 3 times the amount it was purchased for and the other car was painted and added to a collection.
    Word got out and reached the seller. Seems somebody wanted to buy said car, knew what was paid and wanted a deal himself. Didnt like that he got snubbed knowing what was paid, went and told all who would listen on what went down. The buyer of said car wasnt happy that he paid more than he felt he should ( after finding out what was originaly paid) and I havent seen the car since. Which is to bad, as it was a nice car and worth every penny he paid.
    Moral of the story. Some people always gets the short end of the stick and some people are never happy if they dont think they are getting a deal.

28. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I never realized Ryan or this board needed protection from anyone.

29. slammed

slammed

Amen.

30. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Dang. This thread has made me smile a lot tonight.

Ryan, your my hero! Viva la Flip Flop!