Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Fear & Loathing The Classic Car Dealer: Part 2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sportster-bob

sportster-bob

Ryan,
    I get it, I really do and your article has value and expresses a useful viewpoint but its only one viewpoint and while correct for the dealer types that it reflects accurately, it does not take into account people are all different. If all sellers and buyers were equal in their basic knowledge and fairness for every deal, life might be rosy perfect but somewhat boring.
    I'm not a "dealer" but have bought and sold a few vehicles and also see the other side which is the buyer who answers your ad and then comes to see the vehicle equipped with all sorts of tactics and lies to attempt to pick it apart so the inevitable low ball offer will somehow be justified. I've dealt with lots of of these guys and they make me sick just like the slick dealer who gouges for extra profit makes me sick. My personal sales model was to find an older desireable truck in the rust free south, one that does run and drive so, no basket cases. Fix any safety or drivability item needed to make it roadworthy again, then drive it north to prove it is a driver and sell for a slight profit to someone who did not have the time to travel south, do the research, look at multiple vehicles and transport something home. I also tried to not price at the typical internet going rate for similar vehicles so, the idea was to make a little and pass on a drivable project vehicle to another person and then we are both happy. If I paid $3000 for a vehicle (including repairs and transport) and general pricing said it should sell for $7000, I try to get close to $5000 and many times have to settle for less. I cannot tell you how many times I would have "innocent" buyers try to offer $2000, $2500 or less and pick my vehicle apart even after it was very accurately described and pictured. My point is that people will be people on both sides of the same fence. For every little old lady and every sleazy dealer there is also some cheap skate single buyer out there that thinks its his right to cheat you when he buys. And somehow thinks he's doing you a favor.
    So I really get what you are saying about the bad dealers who add no real value to the vehicle but life being what it is, they are not the only bad guys out there. That's why we as informed buyers and sellers need to use what we know not only to combat the jerks of the world but also help educate those friends and relatives that do not share our love and experience for things automotive. You can't stop the bad dealers by calling them out but you can save a friend some grief by helping him/her out.

GZ and bobwop like this.

2. This article is an interesting editorial. It's an opinion piece, and that's what allows Ryan to make articles like these interesting. Things that are strictly historical or technical aren't going to get people fired up, and read more. (Calming us down is for NPR and PBS). So some people are gonna strongly disagree, debate is good.

I thought the reply was really over the top, then I saw it was Hnstray. He contributes a lot, shares a lot of knowledge, is often supportive but he is also one of the handful of people here that don't pull any punches and don't worry about offending any other members. (You want a list, I only have 5 min for my coffee break...) You are not like that, I understand, but a lot of people are and it's just the way these guys communicate. They aren't going to treat Ryan any differently, do people on Facebook treat Mark Zuckerberg with kid gloves? (Maybe, he probably would send a black helicopter to kill them), but from what I have read from Ryan, he has good boundaries, understands this is social media as well as business and deals with things accordingly. That said, I get why you guys are protective.

I agree with his take on dealers 100%. Politicians-realtors-car salesmen: No-thang-Q.

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

OK. One more time. I believe in people having opinions. And the fact that people might not agree with mine or the fact that I am often wrong doesn't bother me. That's life. Colors make me happy.

Now, do I agree with the way that guy attacked me? No... but it really says more about him than me.

I'm pretty laid back man. Not much bothers me... until it does.

In any case, looks like we are about done with this subject. Y'all know where I stand... and I know where most of you guys stand. I'll close this one down if it continues to go down the name calling path. I've always felt like guys that call people names on the internet more than likely wear pink lace panties. :)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. what ever happened to Nancy? or was it Janet?

5. frank spittle

frank spittle

Ryan, I will say something I have wanted to say for a very long time but have restrained myself. I think you are a real asshole. But that is just my opinion pink laced panties and all.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Well. Guess this one is done.

At least we weeded out all of the dealers!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.