Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fear Commitment? It's a Chassis Update!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scottybaccus, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Honey

Honey

Love the pics, do you bowl?

Could you get a move on so that you can drive your truck to Round Up next year, oh wait, Texas is a community property state. Maybe, I will drive the truck to Round Up next year!

Can't wait to see you tomorrow.

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  2. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I have been told it is time for an update. I really didn't realize it had been so long. Guess I better get moving. Here's a small update....

After painting all the suspension parts, I wanted to finish the rear axle assembly. That is done, except for brakes that will be finished today. A local buddy did me a HUGE favor by turning up a pair of centric rings to locate the rear drums. They slip in from the rear and have a small lip to keep them from coming out the front. There's a pic below of one on the axle. There are still a couple of gussets to be done in the rear, plus the driveshaft loop, when I get a shaft to measure by. The front suspension has thrown me a curve ball. The bones are being interfered with by the cowl portion of the cab. I don't have the cab bushings in yet, but that 3/4" won't be enough to solve the problem. I need to get wheels on it and check the turning radius. I expect to give the bones a kick inward for tire clearance that will help a lot, then maybe a small notch at the bottom of the firewall. My wheels are at the sandblaster. I hope to order tires this month. I need to find someone that can make spun aluminum or stainless covers for the plymouth hubcaps. More soon, I hope!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  3. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

your work is amazing..

4. Koolade

Koolade
    from Illinois

5. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Cool, huh? Yep, '34-'35 Plymouth 5 x 4.5" pattern in a 16" x 4".

6. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Is this progress? Sure feels like it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I picked up a couple of 7.50-16 bias plys last week and got off my ass to paint my wheels. The tire shop was kind enough to mount and balance them today. This is the first time I could say I have a roller! Almost. I need to find a couple of tires for the front. Nothing available locally that I can find and I HATE to mail order tires. Guess I'm running out of options.
    At least you can kinda see the ride height here. A fat buddy and I stood on the front to see how much it would squat. It didn't. Prolly gonna pull a leaf or two in the end.

One last bit 'o fun. Anyone tell me what's wrong with the wheels? Trick question. (aside from the Plymouth label on my Chevy) Local fellas may not participate.

7. Valve stems on the inside?

8. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I shoulda just waited for someone to notice, huh?

You have passed your voter registration test.

9. Nice build BTW.

10. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know this is a little out there but that would be killer as a sedan delivery!
    Once again that chassis is just ART!
    Doc.

11. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

Looking VERY good. Love it. Perley

12. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Thanks guys.

I just realized it's been 3 years ago that I posted the first picture of my cab sitting on the boxed model A frame I'd been sitting on for a few months. Today, I mocked up the hood and trimmed both sides to rough fit, then stuck some cardboard in the grill opening. I guess I've covered some ground. (yes, slowly) Since this thread has gotten so long and was all about the chassis, it's time to start another. Watch for it to pop up soon.

8/2006
    [​IMG]

8/2009
    [​IMG]

To be continued: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=394068

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009