Register now to get rid of these ads!

fe, y block valve covers to sbf

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ***Area-51***, Nov 27, 2008.

1. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

any body tried adapting fe or y block valve covers to sbf?

i dont have any on the shelf at the moment to try...so i thought i would throw it out there.....just becaues the sbf v/covers are just not that great looking......

2. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

3. Drive Em

Drive Em

I've built some out of 1/4" steel plate. You need the SBF gasket under the adapter, and it attaches with countersunk allen screws to the head. Studs are welded to the adapter that attach the FE valve cover to the adapter. I'll find some pics.

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Somebody makes the FE to SBF adapters My buddy has them on his truck. They are out there.

5. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

Dave Lane did that to Georges 32 years ago.FE to sbf.I found some on the AC Cobra sites.I have never seen yblock to sbf but i have seen yblock to sbc.

6. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

y block covers are too short to go over the small block heads and the distributor up front would be a dead giveaway, however i agree that there arent many good looking smallblock valve covers, fastlane rod shop sells fe to smallblock adapters although i just contacted them on them and they said the person doing them for them couldn't make them for a while, there is another outfit on the web called second strike that makes them for ac cobra kit cars so they can run the pent proof 427 covers on small block fords , they look like quality pieces . i am looking at buying a set to run fe or mercury raised letter valve covers on my small block. if you look at fastlane rod shops site click on past projects and go to poteets 32 ford, it shows pics of them on a 302 crate motor with tri power, disguises the motor pretty well in my opinion !

7. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

thanks for the info fella's....checked out poteet's 32,the covers loook effin great, i could live with that

8. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

the only other thing i see running the early fe covers is you would have to install a pcv & oil fill tube as the early fe's had the fill tube on the intake manifold not the valve covers, shouldnt be too hard though !

9. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Dont fake it, just run a Y-block!

10. kustomkat

kustomkat

I think we have the best idea of the day.....

klicker likes this.
  11. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

its not about faking it...its about puting together a more appealing sbf.... i dont think y block cover will work anyway...

geez, you would think we were gonna put olds valve covers on sbc or something...

12. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

poteets 32

Attached Files:

13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I was wanting to put Y block valve covers on a 351 in my 55 but there will be no where to put in oil so I gave up,if I uised a 221 timing chain cover I could possibly do it but I am seriously thinking about yanking the 351 and building a 292. Jeff

14. beatnik

beatnik

I don't know if anyone sells them for the Y-block but I'ts been done.

The Shelby Cobra guys have them for using FE valve covers on a SBF. I bought a set to use Chrome Mercury Valve Covers on a SBF. Rupert Hartman makes them I think I bought my set from Breeze Automotive last year.

You do have to make some type of breather system, I'm using a PCV drilled in to the back of then intake valley and a early 1964 289 timing cover with the breather tube.

Attached Files:

15. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

There is enough People in this World trying to be somthing there Not.

Why extend this to your Hot Rod ?

Be proud of what you are or make a change !

If ya want the FE or Y look, Run a Y or FE.

Reminds me of some cars ive seen in the past, S/B Chev with Lincoln covers, DeSoto covers, Olds Covers, Cadillac covers...

Why not just own up & run what ya like ? :confused:

16. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

reminds me of putting corvette v/covers on sbc in something besides a corvette...why:cause it looks good...

17. eric

eric

keep your eyes peeled for a set of old Keystones! They are/were the best looking covers ever for sbf's! They rule!

18. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

I've got some Keystones for a small chevy. They are heavy as lead and leak cause they don't have a lip for the gasket. But they are different and cool looking.

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Interesting stuff-any SBF valve covers stock with Mercury stamped on them ?

20. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

not to my knowledge ! just the fe and y block i believe !

21. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

22. Just Jones

Just Jones

Kind of like running Olds Rocket valve covers on a modern SBC, isn't it?

It doesn't make it a Olds Rocket.

23. Kramer

Kramer

Kinda the way I feel. Be proud of the SBF or run something else. By the way many Mustang Parts places have a wide selection of SBF valve covers at reasonable prices.

24. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

dont know...i guess it depends why you are doing it...its a ford cover on a ford...

a lot of rocker clearance is gained by this....

a sbf with fe v/covers isn ot fooling a ford guy and many non ford guys cant tell one ford motor from another..:D...

25. Seems to be a lot of interest in dressing up SBF lately...

26. Just Jones

Just Jones

Purely my opinion, but if you're not really proud of the engine in your car, just don't open the hood. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding here - maybe he's not trying to fool people into thinking his engine is an FE or Y block, but that he just prefers the way the valve covers look to what is available for SBFs. If that is the case, I could see why he'd be considering the swap, i guess. still, I wouldnt do it. Just find some cool SBF covers. But thats me, and it isnt my car.

27. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

bingo ! to run roller rockers was the main reason i did mine , i know its fake i'm not trying to hide anything ! i have owned fe motors too ! i just wanted the clearance for the roller rockers and a cheep stamped valve cover ( thunderbird ones in my case ) which could be detailed nicely and fit a little earlier time frame ! so with that being said i had my machinist friend whip me up a set of adapters which are hidden under the covers ! as stated above your not gonna fool anyone w these because fe intakes actually made up part of the head , so one look and you'll know ! but i think they look pretty good !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
    GTHOtrod likes this.
  28. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

dirtbag13 valve covers look pretty cool-hope more adapters are made.

29. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

did ya check ebay ? Seems I saw a set of valve covers for SBF fashioned after FE covers .
    I'd just put and FE in myself .

30. teddyp

teddyp

whats the driffrent? both fake