Register now to get rid of these ads!

FE Power Adders - which one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by e-tek, Nov 17, 2011.

1. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

I'm building up two 390's into 410's (+) strokers for my '67 Galaxie and my '48 Ford truck project, but am also thinking of power-adders. Anyone have direct experience with a turbo set up (dual?!) or supercharger?

I've see a few V8's with dual turbo's being fabbed up, nothing running yet though. HotRod mag just did an article on v8 turbo's - seems to be the next big thing....

Cost effectiveness would be key, so I'm looking at junkyard parts to start. The v6 turbo's are a hot item.

2. Algon

Algon

Do you have a goal in mind power wise? Something to consider with boost is that off the shelf blow through carbs (or EFI systems) are not cheap even if you score junkyard turbos.

While turbos have been around a very long time and were used in the 60's drag cars and production Buicks, I feel they lack the over all vintage appeal of a 6-71 with an engine like a FE but that's just an opinion. They both have advantages and draw backs.

What about plumbing the bottom of the intake for hidden nitrous nozzles. It doesn't get any more cost effective than that and they could still look stock. You'll need a way to retard your timing but that's it for about what the tubing to build the turbo headers would cost.

3. If you're asking on this site, chances are you'll be encouraged to use a Paxton or a roots blower. Are you trying to keep the car period correct?

Don't get me wrong, turbo setups are the way to go, and there were definitely some out there in the early 60s; but modern EFI and engine management doesn't go over too well here.

4. Johnunit

Johnunit
    from Toronto

I agree^

If you're NOT going for a "period" piece, I'd go to an FE specific site for a less biased and more technical opinion.

Don't know much about FE's personally, but in the SBF world it seems like turbo tech is advancing a lot faster than any type of blower tech.

5. Algon

Algon

It's no different with a FE than a SBC once you get over the engine specific details you'd deal with blown or not. "An engine is just an air pump" right?
    Finding a place to make stainless flanges for an FE or paying the higher cost for a FE blower intake would be the only real set back over any other application if you are doing most of the fabrication anyway. Alot of people bolt on turbos with decent results without a whole lot of planning but getting it to really perform can be much more involved if you do not use eletronics. It takes alot of tuning ,testing and messing around to get it all just right going the vintage route but you'll be alot cooler then.:D

6. YoungGunn

YoungGunn
    from Camas, WA

Hey man, Im a big FE fan myself and am planing on doing a period 60s drag car with and FE. Have you thought about trying to find a factory Paxton? There are even new kits out there that look like the old factory set ups, with old school badging and everything. In my experience, FE's like superchargers alittle bit better then turbos. A stroker 410 isnt going to like the rpms needed to really take advantage of a turbo setup. Id say old school paxton centrifugal setup! Good luck man!

7. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

That long stroke 410 is just begging for a 6-71. Blue Thunder still makes 6-71 or 8-71 intakes for the FE. The hard part about a blower on an FE is the distributor clearance. It tends to get in the way.

Here is a quick pic of one of Mickey Thompson's blown FE powered gas dragsters for inspiration.
    [​IMG]

Good Luck

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  8. BadAss!! but I'm a bit biased. :rolleyes:

9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I raced a twin turbo 6 cylinder in the late 70s. Made the manifolds myself. Wouldn't do that with an FE. But the Ford has a pretty stout looking bottom end. Should lend itself to boost quite well. Maybe a stock four barrel intake with a Holley or such EFI conversion. Couple of Buick or other turbos adapted to your exhaust. Some pop offs. Lots of tuning and it will fly.

10. The key to making any of them fly with a turbo is to get the turbo matched properly to the exhaust out put and intake needs of the engine. it becomes a little more difficult the larger your displacement is to find an off the shelf (or wrecking yard) turbo.

If your turbo is not sized properly it will not spool efficiently or the output will not be correct.

Texashardcore here on the HAMB has a good bit of turbo experience. maybe drop him a note and he can help you with a turbo that you can find already built as opposed to finding a custom built turbo. If you are looking for something that needs a little less tinkering and or adapting you can contact Gail Banks at Banks turbo, they may be able to hook you up with something sized properly.

Everyone likes a blow through system because yo do not notice the turbo lag that you ecperience with a draw through setup. But I would not overlook a wet turbo as an option. The turbo lag is not as bad as everyone thinks it is something that you get accustomed to and adjust your driving style accordingly. They can be a lot more accomodating cost wise to set up.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  11. 60 ford

60 ford

I'm thinking about a Blue Thunder blower on my 390 FE for my Falcon gasser. Its just personal preference.

12. squirrel

squirrel

If you don't like messing with efi or spending lots of time tuning, then go with a roots blower, they're easy. They're generally not cheap, but they are easy on the rest of the engine, as long as you make sure a few things are done right, such as running forged pistons with a reasonable compression ratio. I've been running the same set of pistons in this motor since 1990, it has almost 100k miles on it with the blower.

[​IMG]

You can put together an inexpensive EFI turbo setup if you're willing to do the research and figure out what you need.

13. Algon

Algon

Any one looking for a Blue Thunder FE 6-71 intake and a complete "new" jimmy send me a PM. I was going to buy it but I already have a good blower and the owner won't split them up. It's a deal I've been tossing around but I'm looking for an original manifold.

14. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Lots of turbo related forums on the net. A number of home made setups use stock cast iron exhaust manifolds. This is especially effective if the exhaust exits at one end of the manifold.