Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical FE Motors - 352 vs. 390 - intake differences?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barsteel, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Hello!

Is there any difference between the intakes on a Ford 352 and a 390? From what I understand, they're the same engine except for bore and maybe stroke.

I have a 352 with a stock 2bbl that's shot, and I'd like to put a 4bbl on the motor. The motor has headers to help with breathing, so I'm not that worried about drowning the motor in fuel, and I want to make sure I don't buy the wrong intake.

Thanks...

Chris

2. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

No difference - the only time I have run into a problem was when I tried to run an early pi intake (c6 casting) on cj heads.....it barely sealed with the port mismatch between the gt and low riser Port styles....

loudbang likes this.
  3. they both weigh 9 bazillion pounds

4. Yep, port size is the difference. Ford used three intake port types (not including the tunnel port); low riser, medium riser, and high riser. All 'standard' heads will be low riser including your 352. Medium riser are the hi-po heads (390 GT, PI, CJ, most 427s). The high riser are 427 race heads and pretty rare, as are the matching intakes. If you look in the aftermarket, get an intake designed for low-riser heads and you'll be good to go.

loudbang likes this.

5. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Right around 75 lbs for the cast iron ones

6. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

No difference but there known to leak if gasket not seated right.I used a 3M weatherstrip glue (yellow)after installing gasket.let sit overnight. Installed HEAVY CAST IRON INTAKE NEXT DAY WITH THE help of an engine crane.No leaks!That was in 2007.

loudbang likes this.
  7. town sedan

town sedan

The factory intake is rather heavy. I just took a look and found the weight of the Edelbrock #2105 is right about 28 lbs of course that's still about twice the weight of an aluminum SBC intake. The 7105 about 29 lbs. Even if a 2105 doesn't make a lot of horse power, it will take less power to move it around. If you can't make horse power loose weight.
    -Dave

8. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Yes 352 will fit on a 390 like everyone has said its a very heavy intake. I went to work for a Ford dealership in 1981 they were a very common engine then I did a lot of work on the FE series engines

9. I worked for a Ford dealer in the FE days. Our best mechanic had a 3/4" pipe about 6 feet long with a hole drilled in the center. He used the air cleaner stud through the hole in the pipe with a guy on each end and a guy lining up the bypass hose when setting a manifold. Worked like a charm.
    edit: come to think of it, maybe he had an extra long stud to thread into the carb.

j-jock and falcongeorge like this.
  10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You dont have to worry about "accidentally" getting a high riser intake for $100, trust me on this.;):D

j-jock, bowie and loudbang like this.