Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical FE motor pulley dress up options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by toxonix, Sep 25, 2015.

1. toxonix

toxonix

I'm running a 390 FE with the harmonic damper that has the lower pulley groove cast into the damper.
    All of the March Performance pulley kits are made for the 3-hole damper that does NOT have the groove cast in.
    Mine is this one that is most common on the FE I think. It's a one sheave pulley pressed onto a rubber ring with the sheave cast in:
    [​IMG]

None of the pulley kits are compatible with this one.
    I'd like to replace it because A: it has no timing marks like the one above. B: want to replace the warped steel water pump pulley, and dress up the front end a bit.
    I'm only running an alternator, no PS or AC. Which FE damper is March Performance and the other pulley kits makers talking about? The Ford part/casting # for the damper is C4AE-6316-A_08.
    There is one other for 360 and 390 FE's: D2TZ-6316-A: I'm guessing I need to press one of these on before I can use one of the March pulley kits. It looks like the only option. I may have answered my own question.

[​IMG]

2. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

That one looks like Toast anyway, watching I'm in the same boat.

3. If you're planning on hitting the boneyards, you'll just have to hunt. Ford used both types (groove/no groove) across a pretty wide range of years starting in about '66, depending on the application. The only ones you have to watch out for are the 410 Merc/428 dampers, some of those have a different balance but it's unlikely you'll find one.

But you can buy new ones easily; Summit has a bunch, from about $80 for a Dorman stock replacement on up.