Register now to get rid of these ads!

FE into 40 Ford pickup?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MeanGene427, Apr 7, 2011.

1. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Anybody done this one? Any problems/ solutions?

2. Only problem is it isn't an SBC. ;P

Sorry Gene I just couldn't resist. :D:D

I haven't done it but I have seen them it seems to me your biggest problem is the exhaust and the steering colum.

OK someone with a real answer speak up here.

3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I seen one years ago and whoever built it used a wheel barrow for a firewall.

4. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

"I seen one years ago and whoever built it used a wheel barrow for a firewall."
    Bet it was a truck driver, used to seeing "dog houses" in cabover trucks- definitely "Hokey-Ass", eh?

5. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

a 283 fits nicely

6. The oil pan sump issue could be lessened (maybe eliminated) with a 4x4 truck pan and oil pickup.
    I've seen FEs in these, but not too many. I guess anything can be done, how bad do you want it?

7. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

In your butt? Porker was joking with me, but really, did you see anywhere where I asked about a boring little Chebbie? Seriously, with 10 427's and 3 428CJ's, plus 5 plain 'ol 390's, I am the last one you're going to brainwash to the dark side. Nothing more boring than a non-Chebbie rod with a belly-button engine in it, and all the rah-rah Chebbie propaganda just doesn't hold water :rolleyes:
    I'd much rather put something a little more interesting in there, like maybe that Zephyr V-12 over in the corner, or the complete driveline out of the Lincoln LSC that the ex-GF customized into a minivan. Be happy with your little Chebbie, but sell me on one? :p:p

8. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

I can't help you out but that is definately a great choice of motorvation for that pickup. I wish I had one for my build but the 351W I have will have to suffice.

9. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

I had done it many years ago.

some of the issues are the oil pan, steering column, headers and the trans.

I used a 390 with a c6 .The first thing I did was finding a oil pan, I ended up with one of the 10 qt large truck pans. This pan was flat from front to back. I notch the front of the pan to get around the axle and steering. I also had to make a pickup tube for the oil pan.

The second thing I had to do is cut the fire wall out and move it back I think 6 inches.

Third was the motor mounts. I placed the motor were I wanted in the frame and hand built the mounts.

fourth was the trans. With the c6 I had to open up the x member and rebiuld it around the trans. This is important to get right because the Ford frame relies on the x member for straight.

Fifth was the steering. I end up using a chevy truck box that bolted to the outside of the frame. I ended up moving it forward and had to make a new drag link. I think it was out of a 60's chevy truck. The stock box and column would not work because of the size of the motor. I also ended up moving the bottom of the bottom of the column out a couple of degrees cutting it below the fire wall and building a steering shaft from the column to the box. I know I used the steering shaft from the chevy box and and some steering joints.

sixth. After all of that was done I ended up building the header to clear everything and ran them out through the inner fender and ran the exhaust down the outside of the frame. There was not room to run the header inside the frame.

I also moved the radiator forward and used a cross flow that would fit.

I hope this helps and if there anything else just ask.

10. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm working on a '40 coupe/428CJ project started many :eek: years ago. The biggest problem is the oil pan, and one way to solve that is to use a 330" FT pan and pickup. I got the idea from an old Hot Rod magazine article on swapping a 427 into a '57 T-Bird. The 4X4 pan(s) might be similar.
    I think the pickups might have a deeper drop in the front crossmember, which will give more clearance for the pan. I went the Mustang 11 route to gain more room both up front, and at the rear, since the wishbone is no longer needed.
    Exhaust is the other problem. Stock manifolds will work, but I could not find a set of headers that would fit without modifications, so I built my own set. Headers-By-Ed can supply the flanges, collectors, etc.
    As stated above, the firewall has to be modified. For motor mounts, I'm using the Chassis Engineering system of flathead-style biscuits with their crossmember and block mounts.
    Other than that, it's a piece of cake!

10 427s???? You da man! :cool:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  11. longstrokeford

longstrokeford

I installed a fe engine in a 40 coupe in 1966. My memory is not the best, however I remember cutting the front cross member out of a 58 ford for engine mounts. Fish plated the front frame and welded the cross member in. Used a 4 speed trans and built a cross member for that by modifing the 58 trans cross member. Stock exhaust manifolds and duals were used without any steering issues. Installed the rearend from the 58 ford also. Drove that way for many years.

12. Hey I still use a wheel barrow for a cove when I set one back. :eek:

I thought everyone did that. But for a fella that grew up in a major US city I'm just a little bit country.

13. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Yep, the 4x4 pans are handy, work pretty good in some drag cars, too, I have a couple or those, and a truck pan (I forgot about the 391HD truck engine over in the corner)- the 4x4 pan is pretty tight to the pump in front and gives the most clearance, usually easier than hacking into a truck pan. I've used early sixties Galaxie crossmembers in a few places (including a 390GT into a '47 Stude pickup many years ago), nice tubular setup, just cut it out of a junker, lets you use factory mounts, and is header-friendly. Another option would be the truck front mount system, got a couple of those too. The firewall and floor have already been hacked and pounded in the past for one of those oh-so-beautiful and svelte rear-mounted HEI distributors :rolleyes:, so anything at this point is an improvement. I'm thinking the MII setup with some fudging in it's crossmember in the pan area might help, round-top valve covers instead of pentroofs, 3-deuce with that sweet set of scoop-type polished aluminum boat "spark arrestors" that's rat-holed upstairs, and have an idea for the exhaust ;)
    Thanks guys, the last few posts were perfect, actual constructive, been-there-done-that experience and solutions with this particular vehicle & engine as asked for, instead of that same 'ol infantile and ignorant "put a Chebbie in it" BS propogated by "the great brainwashed"

And I happen to have a spare wheelbarrow out back ;)
    Fish-plated? Sounds like another with a little truck experience LOL

14. I'm actually putting a 390 in the wife's 38 sedan. Should be close to what you are doing in the truck. I'll have to watch for your build threads.

15. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

hahaha

16. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Porkster, this one already has a Heidt MII setup in the front from it's last "life", and I have a line on some headers from a guy who just pulled a 428CJ out of a '40 that also had an MII front end setup. Going to go look at the beast manana, supposed to be all there except the rear fenders, and from the pictures, sounds pretty accurate

17. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

My dad put a 428 in his 47 pickup

18. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Still got it? I actually found 2 trucks, if I do this, I'd probably keep one/ sell one, y'know?

19. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Yeah me too. I just bought a project truck '51 Ford F1 that already has a Cordoba front suspension and a crusty 350/350 combo. Was thinking about dropping in my 429 but I've always liked the FEs and wouldn't mind giving one a shot. Your thread might give me some good tips.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  20. crf500

crf500

i have a 390 in a 32 pick up! in soon to have a 34 five window with the 428 in the corner or the 427! fe is the only way just to purely rag the chevy guys!

21. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

If you have a decent 427 with some squeeze and some stick, all you have to do is start it up to rag the Chebbiewashed masses :p Usually sends 'em off muttering, until they can have a group hug and shout "Heil Chebby!!" a couple times, and regain their smugness :cool:- then you start it again :D
    Saw a 40 on Sunday at the Santa Rosa swap, with a blown 426 Hammy/ Torqueflite, MII front end in it, beautiful car, lots of room, with the headers/ exhaust done just like I was thinking about. Don't let the Chebbiewashed tell you nuttin' else will fit- they just can't put anything in without buying everything off the shelf :rolleyes:

22. I actually have one of the tube 37-39ish axles that the Ol' Man made back in the '60s, never run. The '38 has a bent axle so I figured I would just swap them out. It looks to me that on the car body the firewall is going to be the biggest problem, I'll need to split the bones I suppose. Well that and I guess that I'll have to box or partially box the 60ish hp chassis.

Someone actually used to make mounts for the FE swap into these cars. A friend thinks he still has a set.

I wonder how much difference there is in the truck firewall. I'll have to look for some pics.

23. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Goin' to drive it tonight and haul more shit down to my new place.

24. niterunner71

niterunner71

Interesting thread as I was considering fe power for my 40 coupe since i have 2 390s already and a 62 galaxie t10 trans and bellhousing, and I can't seem to find any decent y blocks. I had kicked the chebby idea around a little with some chebby parts i already had but it is a belly button engine and from what i hear and read from the old street racing veterans from back in the day FEs were king. I may dig one of those 390s out and see how everything looks by setting it in the 40 chassis. to be continued in my 40 coupe build thread when its updated...

25. SOHC427

SOHC427

MeneGene,

I have faith in you, getting this to go together. I have followed your posts on the FE Forum, and looked at your collection.

Small Chebby guys always get butt hurt, over FE Fords. It is always fun to see them shit there panties, when they see the size difference in a sbc, and a Cammer....
    Eric