Register now to get rid of these ads!

FE guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flydipper, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Flydipper

Flydipper
    from Washington

Hi all,

I have a question for the FE guru's, I have a 427 block with 4 bolt motor mounts on it that I would like to put in a 62 galaxie. I was hoping somebody could help me source the best motor mounts for the application. Thanks
    John

2. Flydipper

Flydipper
    from Washington

The 427 block looks to be a 68 or 9, the cast date is rough and it's a no cast # block, has cross bolt mains and 4.23 bore. I'm not sure if there even is a motor mount that will work. Most likely a truck block or service replacement block. Thanks

3. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

I would try FE mounts for a 62 Galaxie!
    I bolted a 69 428 in my 58 Fairlane using the 58 motor mounts.

4. 53 effie

53 effie

Should use the original motor mounts for a 352 or 390 in that year. They'll use only 2 of the 4 bolt holes in your block but the extra holes are for newer applications.

5. Flydipper

Flydipper
    from Washington

That would be great if the stockers worked, Thank you for the info!

John

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  6. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

Stockers will work just fine.

7. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

As was said, just use the stock '62 mounts, early blocks only had two holes, you just don't use two of the later block's holes. Going the other way is a little more work, putting an early block in a 65-up car, most of the later stuff uses 3 of the 4 holes. A 427 in an original G-code 4.11 gear car? Like this? Mine is a 500XL with 80K, now running a 427-8V, C6 w/ 4K converter, and 5.14 gears- kinda froggy ;)

Evil Twin

[​IMG]

In street shoes

[​IMG]

Little brother, Croozer Twin- also an XL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Flydipper

Flydipper
    from Washington

Very cool, yes something along those lines, this car is white with red interior, the 406 block has a little boo-boo that needs to be fixed and the car needs to have the spool removed, we have a 4.30 locker to go in it which I think will be a good around town gear for that car, it also has a glass hood and front bumper but other than that it will be left in survivor status, it's actually in very nice shape, been in a barn for 25+ years. So the stock drivetrain can just stay in the corner till it's time for a restoration. I really appreciate the info on the mounts, thank you! It's also a 65B car.

John

9. I'd be interested in the spool, if you are going to sell it.
    Sounds like a nice car. Pictures?

Movin/on

10. Flydipper

Flydipper
    from Washington

I'll let you know when we get the rear tore down, in the next couple of weeks. I'll see if I can figure out how to post pics

11. Flydipper

Flydipper
    from Washington

hopefully this works

Attached Files:

12. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

Try this part number at Oreilly's A2141. If you get 'em home and they don't fit, they're only 6 bucks apiece.

13. That T-Bird air filter top might be really worth some serious money. The rest of the filter parts are standard 61-63 Ford but the top from I've read is strictly 61-63 T-Bird and not that many produced.

I've got a T-Bird 3X2 intake manifold with the flat carb mounts & it's also desireable. Check exactly what you have. For value.

Movin/on

14. Flydipper

Flydipper
    from Washington

Thank you for the info, I will look into that! We were wondering what that top came from. None of the 406 cars that I could find pics of had a top like that, just finned with no bird. Also thanks Fordguy for the part #.

John

15. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Considering the Ford Blue, the engine has probably been at least rebuilt if not replaced, do you have any casting #'s? Heads should be C2SE prefix (sharp Ford casting number eyes will say "S = Thunderbird", as the heads were originally designed for an optional Bird engine), and if it's the original block, unlike the later engines, the casting number can tell a lot- if you send it to me, I should be able to tell you what you have. Two-bolt mounts are a good sign :) Original crank will be a C2AE with grooved mains, rods should be the "PI" type with 13/32 bolts, and you'd have a std volume high pressure oil pump. Block will also be solid lifter only with lifter galleries undrilled, and should have the pressure relief valve at the rear of the main gallery. Rocker stands should be steel instead of aluminum and also have C2 numbers. Cast headers should be the "shorty" versions, and if it's a true 406 car, manual steering and brakes, there were no power options with the 406 engine- my 500XL is manual/manual. Also as Richard pointed out, it appears you have a Galaxie intake and a Bird AC cover- the carbs are also different between the Gal and Bird. If the carb flanges step up higher towards the rear, it's a Gal intake- if they're flat with each other, it's from a Bird

16. Flydipper

Flydipper
    from Washington

The block in the car is not original to the car, but I have it. The original heads for the car are on it. C2SE. The intake is stepped up. The shorty headers are missing. The car has 63 long tube headers on it. Bear in mind this car wasn't put away stock. It was raced and things were broke. There is no doubt about the origin of the car. It is well known in these parts. The data plate is untampered with. I have the interior almost completely out and have yet to find a build sheet. Probably went by the wayside. Very clean and rust free which is amazing for west side Washington state. Thanks for the input!

John

17. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I just happen to have an extra set of correct shorties that I could trade for the long ones, I think I also have an extra correct Galaxie AC lid- have to look. I know I have a correct C2 grooved crank someplace. Also have all the stuff if you want to put that 427 together, cherry std C5$ steel crank, LeMans rods etc ;)

18. Flydipper

Flydipper
    from Washington

Thanks Gene, funny we think alike, already have a steel crank, lemans rods and block at the machine shop along with a set of C5AE-F medium riser heads, sorry I'll have to pass on the header trade these will work better on the 427. Let me know what you're looking to get for the parts I might be interested. Do you need a fiberglass front bumper for your hardtop? I might be interested in the 406 crank as well. Never can have too many spares! Thanks
    If you wouldn't mind looking for the lid I might be interested. I have another tri-pwr set up but the AC lid isn't the nicest in the world. Thanks

John

19. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Please tell me the block isn't at corner machine shop with the 'ol "we'll punch her .030, line hone it and cut the crank 10-10" right off the bat mentality :eek: More 427 blocks have been seriously devalued by that stuff than anything else short of a big hole in the side- gotta have somebody who's FE-savvy, and definitely not Chebbie-wired. Might want to contact Ken at Oregon Cams up in your neck- actually in Vancouver. In addition to valvetrain stuff, he's an avid FE guy ;) And if you guy tells you he needs to cut that steel crank for clearance, holler at me and I can ell you how to get more clearance without grinding- the crank has value, and the more it's messed with, the less valuable it is. And you could sell those medium risers to the kit-Cobra crowd, buy some better-running and new aluminum heads, and have money left over lol.
    So you noticed the HT was missing its bumper? Yeah, I could use a decent 'glas one- but folks seem to like it the way it is, without the bumper

http://www.oregoncamshaft.com/

20. Flydipper

Flydipper
    from Washington

Hi Gene

The motor parts are in safe hands. All he would work on would be FE's if he had his way. The crank should be fine std. and the block is std now and maybe will be good with .008. I'll know more this next week. Thanks for the link and input. I agree the aluminum heads would be better but it's mostly about a conversation piece that will still hold it's own. Not much on selling old FE stuff. I'll send a pic of the bumper it's nice looking as far as glass goes, the brackets could be tuned up a bit to get the wrap-arounds to turn down a little. I would be interested in the 406 crank. I doubt I could get my wallet wrapped around today's value on the 427 parts, it's not 30 years ago anymore when you could get that stuff for $300, LOL. Send me a PM with your email for the pics

John

21. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

Glad your FE is in good hands. I just spent $2000.00 getting the machine work on my 428 "unf#cked" My new machinist does the FE's himself and has the staff do the off brand stuff.
    Makes perfect sense to me. If you mess up a SBC, you can drive to the nearest wrecking yard and grab another one....FE's on the other hand!!!!

22. Flydipper

Flydipper
    from Washington

That sucks Jammer, that's a big mistake. Funny how they don't seem to see it that way when it comes time to hand some money back. Hope it's all good now. My guys a one man shop which has it's pit falls when it's busy. But understands to put my stuff aside till the focus is there. No hurry, just want it done right.

John

23. FEDER

FEDER

Nice car. Will be nice to have see another Big Block full size Ford on the road. Be fun to spank some bowties in that for sure. How about a little History on the car. Was it a street bruiser in years past or raced. Im up north in stanwood now but been around the local tracks pacific and Bremerton for a loong time. FEDER

24. Flydipper

Flydipper
    from Washington

Was raced up at Mission in the late 80's, some of the time slips were in the car, nothing impressive though, pounded the streets of Whatcom Co. The fellow who owned it had purchased a 427 but never got it installed. Then on to other projects, he had a few galaxies that his widow still has mostly 63 1/2 stuff. Last registered in 1999. Looks like one scratch and shoot repaint of original M code "Corinthian White". 406 tri-pwr car with 4.11 gear and manual 4-speed from the factory. The trim and sheet metal are in fantastic condition for western wa.

25. Flydipper

Flydipper
    from Washington

Gene or anybody else,

I am on the hunt for 1 quarter panel script "Galaxie 500 XL" for a 1962 galaxie, I would like to find something that doesn't need chroming but I don't mind restoring the paint. Thanks

John

26. FEDER

FEDER

Got alot of FE stuff but cant help with the trim but will keep My eyes open. Your car sounds awsome,Hope to see You out at the races this year. Ill bet Rory,Dale or TomP from the FE 332-428 FE Forum might remember the car if raced at mission. Where are You located ? Fed

27. Flydipper

Flydipper
    from Washington

In Bham. I would really appreciate you keeping an eye out for the script. Thank you

John

28. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Thanks for the info, I'll check those out, they should fit a '57, might have to notch the frame hole, since the later ones were a single stud. Love your avatar, good job!! Merry Christmas!

29. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Glad to see these cars being appreciated, keep us updated!! Nice cars!! Merry Christmas!!

30. CDXXVII

CDXXVII
    from Vermont

Is your car in the registry? The 62 G-code XL is a pretty rare animal:

http://www.62ford.com/registry/default.asp

You can post in the classified there too for the trim you are looking for.
    The 62 XL script is one of the toughest parts to find.