Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical FE GURUS...PULLEY INTERCHANGE ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodA, Feb 7, 2021.

1. A friend is building a 57 Custom 2 door post car, and is having a 352 built for it.
    I found out a couple of days ago that the engine was lacking all the pulleys.:rolleyes:
    Seems like the most important two would be crank and water pump.
    He will have PS and AC, but I think they’re aftermarket and brackets could be shimmed.

What I’m asking for him is what other FE pulleys, or combinations, will work? Or interchange?

Thanks!
    FOT8F2B.JPG

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    Jeff Norwell and loudbang like this.
  2. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

These days the easiest to find are usually the late pickup setups, which give you dual WP and alternator belts and a PS belt, but the pickup PS bracket is very functional but ain't pretty, and sits up pretty high

loudbang likes this.
  3. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

There is a deep and shallow water pump pully. The shallow pump and pully will give you about 2 more inches of clearance to the radiator.

You can see the deep pully. This was just a mockup for my alternator bracket.
    20200623_145755.jpg

This is an aftermarket aluminum pump and shallow pully. Making room for two puller fans to replace the pusher.
    20200815_080702.jpg 20200815_080702.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  4. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Here is the set up on my 352 powered '62 Merc. I used the stock pulleys, but moved the AC compressor down to the original generator location (and used those mounts), and placed the alternator above the AC comp. I fabbed the alternator brackets myself and got a universal slotted adjustment arm from Speedway or Summit or some other online shopping place. Power steering pump is stock.

That said, Gene's idea will be the easiest. Most (if not all) FE powered mid 70's pickups should have a dual row crank pulley that will be the bare minimum for that setup. If you can find one in a yard with AC and power steering, grab everything and go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021

5. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

One thing you can do if you have an early 60s 390 from an A/C car, it has dual belts with the generator- so one can swap out the water pump to the alternator style without the pin, re-bracket the alt, and use the dual pulley alt

6. Budget36

Budget36

image.jpg Here’s some stuff I have left over from a 390, gave all the power steering stuff away years ago. Yours for postage.

7. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

That's a lot of it, missing the other alt bracket and the actual adjuster from that pickup PS mount

8. Budget36

Budget36

Ya, I don’t recall what was left of it, just had this stuff in a pile for many years. Hopefully the OP can use it, I’ve no use for it.

9. @Budget36
    Told him about your pulleys. He’s going to wait until engine gets finished at machine shop.
    Thanks for the offer!

Budget36 likes this.
  10. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

JMHO, but if you can't find parts, and you get offered some for postage, might not want to wait lol...

11. Budget36

Budget36

All good. At least I have them off the ground...for now;)

12. Yep. I’m done bird doggin’ parts! Big urgency a week ago.o_O Now....yawn! Go figure.