Register now to get rid of these ads!

FE Ford in a '48-'50 F1 pickup?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zonkola, Oct 29, 2003.

1. zonkola

zonkola
    from NorCal

Anyone ever put a FE Ford engine into a Ford F1 pickup? Opinions?

2. k-member

k-member

Yes, it's a easy swap. There is even an aftermarket mount kit for em thats almost easier to buy then build. It consist of a pipe that has a U shape in it that spans frame rail to frame rail. Or you can build your own. I can't remember who sold the original, I think trans dapt or speedway.

3. old beet

old beet

Have had one for about 30 years, what would you like to know? Have remounted it several times, let me know if I can help. .......OLDBEET

4. zonkola

zonkola
    from NorCal

Thanks! I'm mostly concerned about clearances: Will the front sump oil pan clear the stock F1 front suspension, is any sheetmetal trimming required in the engine compartment (firewall recess, or ?), and is there enough room for the stock steering box?

Info on any other issues unique to a FE>F1 installation would also be appreciated...

5. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

I have a 390 in a '57 Effie, not sure what the spacial difference between it and a '48-'50, but it looks like the previous owner had to do some tricky fitting with the headers, they had to be custom welded in to fit. The starter's in a tight cradle of header pipes, not much room for them pipes. And, too, with the steering linkage. Otherwise it looks like an easy fit.

6. old beet

old beet

You need a rear sump oil pan. Ford still sells them. Little or no firewall mods. Need to build a set of headers. Most Ford manifolds dump thru the steering, fenderwell seem to work best. Might check the header application for motor homes and RVs. (using a 429-460 its a bolt on header) If I did the motor swap today I'd go with a 460 Ford, the FE stuff is a little pricey and harder to find. Also 60s Ford PU 9 in is a bolt in Ford F-1s and C-6 trans mounts are cheap........OLDBEET

7. zonkola

zonkola
    from NorCal

Great, thanks! I know the 9" rear on the '57-'72 F100's is a near bolt-in for the early F1's, which is part of the reason I'm considering an FE. I keep seeing these battered late 60's F100's with 352/390 engines for sale dirt cheap, so I'm thinking about using one as a donor truck and swapping the entire drive train into my '49...