Register now to get rid of these ads!

FE firing order diagram?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by usedall9, Jan 17, 2007.

1. usedall9

usedall9

Does anybody out there have a firing order diagram that is available to post? would like something I can prin out for my records. thanks

2. BigChief

BigChief

15426378 is the firing order for most Ford motors. The cylinders are numbered 1, 2, 3, 4 on the pass side and 2,4,6,8 on the drivers side. Notable exceptions are the Y-block, the 351W and the late model 5.0 and 5.7 motors. Get a sharpie and a piece of cardboard and draw it out, pin it on the wall and call it art.

If you've got the SBC firing order memorized and figured out then pretend its a SBC in front of you and run the wires GM does. The actual cylinder firing order is the same between most of the Fords and the SBC......the way each company labels the individual cylinders is different hence the different numerical firing order.

If you start with the #2 wire on a SBC and run the numbers - 21843657 corresponds directly with the Ford 15426378 firing order.

Fun, isn't it?

-Bigchief.

3. BTW Dizzy turns counter-clockwise. Stu

4. usedall9

usedall9

Thanks guys.......will do. But if anybody has a Chiltons to scan that would be great too.

5. simplyconnected

simplyconnected

6. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

Attached Files:

7. streetwhore67

streetwhore67
    from Pittsburgh

how is #2 on the drivers and pass sides?

8. streetwhore67

streetwhore67
    from Pittsburgh

9. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

With Distributor
    [​IMG]

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

If you are going to play with old cars, get a Motors Manual that covers the year of your engine or car. I have collected several and with the overlap of their coverage, I can look up anything from the 40s through the 70s. I don't want to know anything newer.:D

I am more concerned about the information contained in them than the condition of the cover so mine are not pristine collector books but I can open them up in the garage with no dread of ruining them. I don't pay the premium price for pristine books. They are a wealth of information that is not as readily available as it once was.

Can't remember how to polarize a Ford generator?...look it up.

You will find out how to trouble shoot what is wrong with your engine.

I had my book out when I wired the distributor cap on my FE. I used it to polarize the generator too. My memory is too iffy to rely on it anymore.

11. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is a chart straight from the Ford section of a mid-60 Motor Auto Repair Manual. Similar to the figures already posted, FEs are Figure N. You do not mention the year, but timing marks for the 50s are shown in Figure I. In 1960 the scale markings went from the damper to the tab, Figure A, and in about 66 went back to the damper, similar to Figure B.

Motor manuals were (are) very useful to the general mechanic or someone that works on a lot of different cars since they cover most all common mechanical service issues. If you want body information or only work on one or two cars you are much better off with the "factory" manuals.

Attached Files:

12. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Ummm.. it's in big cast-in raised numbers, cast right into the top of your intake manifold, right below the big letters "FIRING ORDER" :rolleyes: And right on top of the cylinder runners, by the valve covers, are cast in the cylinder numbers :rolleyes::rolleyes: The old stock distributor caps even had a raised "1" cast into them. Maybe you need to wash your engine- or at least look at it. You really wanted people to scan and post this? Really??? Got a digital camera and a printer???

13. shocker998md

shocker998md

Gene you dont know what ur talking about. Anit such a thing!

Just kidding Gene, If I learn half of what you forgot about FE's ill be doing something.

14. jamesdfo

jamesdfo

15. Yes it is, it's the same as the 289 and 302

16. BigChief

BigChief

... rare option. ;)