Register now to get rid of these ads!

fe exhaust manifold

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by garcoal, Mar 25, 2012.

1. garcoal

garcoal

after rousting my old bird from a few year nap, it appears the rh exhaust manifold has finally bit the big one. i replace the doughnut gasket, still makes the popping sound. my question am i about open a can of worms, any chance of the bolts coming out. if not can they be redrilled and helicoiled. or is this going to get way expense. 428 fe

2. flat 39

flat 39

Last month I replaced the exhaust manifold gasket on a 352 FE. All the bolts came out OK for me. Spent 2 hours with a big file getting the exhaust maniford flat so the new gasket would seal up. So far so good.

3. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

If you have a torch even a small propane job you should be in good shape. With a little heat and some P.B. Blaster what could possibly go wrong?:D

4. Willy301

Willy301

Be generous with the lube, and do not try to just unscrew them out...alternately loosen and tighten loosening a little more each time....even when you think it is moving easy, do not deviate from the above. Heat is good, but if you heat the bolts, let them cool before twisting on them, heat will make them weak until they cool and the heating and cooling will help work some of the lube in there too...

5. the bottom ones usually come out fairly easy the top ones...................not soo much......id spray some PB blaster on them and let it sit for a day or two then try to get em out

spray the blaster on them a couple of times during the (sitting /waiting)

6. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

Usually bottom bolts no problem. Top bolts big problem. I would use a torch and heat the heads up hot and slooowly work the bolts or it will be time for drilling. You will see plenty of FEs with nuts and bolts on the top holes. Make sure the head and manifold surfaces are smooth. I usually yank the heads and have the mating surfaces milled. Then I assemble using chassis grease and no gasket. Been doing it this way for 30 years. Never a blowout.

7. devilleish

devilleish

I have always had to use an oxyacetylene torch to remove the top bolts with right around 95% success. The holes can be drilled and helicoiled but good luck with that with the engine in the car, at least without raising it a bit. I thought '66 Galaxie engine bays were cavernous till I had to do that job (my first manifold job on an FE).