Register now to get rid of these ads!

FE crank seal repair?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greg, Feb 16, 2013.

1. greg

greg

My sleeve on the crank has grooves where the seal rides for the front timing cover.

It look like it mics out about .011 deep.

What is my best option for this.

polish it out and use it? I can have it machined at work, which it then is undersize.
    One of my toolmaker friends mentioned using belzona, and then turning it back smooth.
    Or a speedy-sleeve. I have never used one before. I think its part # skf 99187, but not sure?

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

That sleeve is just mild steel. You could always weld up the groove and then turn the welded area back down to the original OD.

3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go to your local auto parts store and ask them for a "Redi-Sleeve", I believe they're called. It's a very thin (.010" ?) and installes over the shaft.

4. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

x2 on speedy sleeve. simple and work good.

5. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

Is the motor still in the car? If so, speedi sleve it. I would only look at welding it if the motor's apart.

6. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

A real pain to get the Redi Sleeve PERFECTLY square to the crank with the engine in the car, but once you get the damn thing on, it will fix the leak!!

7. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

get the ready sleave but be certain to get the correct seal for the sleave

8. greg

greg

The motors out of the car. So install shouldnt be a problem. Ive just never used one before, and wasnt sure how good they were.

Ray, if its only .010, can I not use a new stock seal?

9. Ole don

Ole don

Sit the damper on a table and clean the surface with emery cloth or sandpaper. Lube the damper with light oil. Sit the speedy sleeve on top and tap it down gently with a 2X4 as straight as you can. It has to go down past the wear mark on the first try. Not as hard as I make it sound.

10. I've used Redi-Sleeves a number of times in a number of different locations and they always did the trick. Now that I've said that I've probably jinxed the next one.