Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical fe 427 into 1957 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustymetal, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I put a 427 side oiler (crate engine: buyer died, his bro sold me the engine CHEAP after I fixed his '42 Dodge Power Wagon) I prepared to install it into my white '54 Ford coupe.
    A mechanic of mine prodded me to go ahead with it (I was service Mgr at a Lincoln/Mercury dealer, Gene was a young Ford freak)
    Gene had a '58 332 bellhousing, flywheel, and loads of parts...engine was a literal bolt-in, we used exhaust manifolds that were 'scary close' to my upper control arms, built an exhaust system.
    Had to use the stock '54 overdrive tranny, recall a bracket we made for the clutch 'equalizer' bar. Started on it Friday night, Car was running Sunday. (lots of stuff to 'finish', but running and 'tuned'.
    First race I had was a fast 312 powered '56 Vic, black and white. Didn't even 'get in it' in 1st, just shifted easily, then bared down on the throttle and passed him, tires breaking traction. (8.20 X 15 Uniroyals)
    The guy was shocked. I showed him the engine. "Pretty cool...", they said, "What a sleeper!"
    Wish I had that engine back...got another '54, assembling my new 406 as we speak! Some shit never changes.

Troublemaker427 and warbird1 like this.
  2. 4dr orphan

4dr orphan
    from Michigan

Sanderson Headers at one time made headers for this swap. A pipe on each side of the engine crossed under to the collector on the other side.

3. tim troutman

tim troutman

my 57 with a 390 in it had 69 galaxie motor c6 and manifolds seams like I had to trim the left motor mount to make it clear used 58 332 352 mounts from napa

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

5. Sorry for the delay.....Been out of town....I have Crites stuff in my 57 now.(Race mode)It no longer has an FE.Running a 429/460combo.Thank goodness for the high port heads with the Crites as they fit well except for the ground clearance.Have not heard of any "Cast" stuff from them in this regard.Honestly,with your ride I would focus on the shorty style.They will be unseen and the exhaust will be tucked up nicely.

6. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

I built a 427 57 Custom 300 back in 65. the first thing you need to find is a 58 steering box. Its a much better box and slightly smaller then a 57 and it bolts in. The 63 427 cast iron manifolds fit on the passenger side with no problem. The drivers side is a lot more challenging but they will go on there with some work. You have to mill the exhaust side of the head where they bolt on and plus mill the manifold itself, the exact amount I don't recall. You then grind the steering box as much as you can plus the inside of the manifolds themselves where the hit until you go thru them. You them weld or braze in cup type upside down. They will then fit. Whether its worth all that these days with headers that fit is up to you. We did it because everyone said we couldn't and we didn't have much choice. I later put a set of Ballenger Brothers 180 degree headers on it which were a nightmare to put on after they had been run. I highly advise some better brakes too. I had brakes off a 58 Ford Highway patrol car back in 65. A later model big bearing axle is needed too unless you just like changing axles. I had 17 left side axles because it only broke the rights. have fun !

57 300 likes this.
  7. RmK57

RmK57

That seems to be a well sorted out 57 you got there. I have a mildish 514 in mine and about 1 second slower than yours. Nice car!

57 300 likes this.
  8. boutlaw

boutlaw

Ive got a set of new Crites FE headers for 62-65 Falcon Comet that I did not use on the Ranchero that you can get cheap. Send PM if interested.

9. rustymetal

rustymetal

talked to the man @ fordpowertrain.com he has 2 57 fords with 427 in them.
    his fit with out any trouble might have to move the clutch cross bar back very little.
    order a set a week ago his number 253-848- 9503
    ps thanks for the help

57 300 likes this.