Register now to get rid of these ads!

Favorite Funny car as a kid.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by motorhead711, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

2. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

here's another few for you!

Don the Shoe Shumacher
    Drag On Lady

3. thechoop

thechoop

Mongoose and the Snake, for sure!!

4. tennesse bo-wevil

5. here's a pic
    [​IMG]

6. My ALL time favorite, Bar none, Baddest Funny car that actually changed my opinion towards drag Racing was the First Gas Ronda Mustangs!
    This was back when you could look at one and instanlty know what car it was - not like the Jelly Beans they became.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. The Nash Metropolitan.

An Anglia coupé full of clowns?

What? Oh,... wrong kind of funny car.

Seriously, Those 70ish Camaros with th RS noses are killer.

8. Caractacus Potts

Caractacus Potts

I would love to know if anyone remembers or has a picture from the late 70's of an all silver funny that only had a gatorade emblem on the side. Dad took me to Martin Dragway one night, and all the big guys were there. The gatorade car wasn't running as good as the rest, he was having some trouble with it. But he lit that thing up on the starting line one time and then it jumped sideways and started hauling straight at us standing against the fence. Dam near filled my pants. I remember that one.
    Another one from that same event that left an impression on a kid was the Ohio State patrol. Loved them blue rollers on top.

9. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

"Jungle Jim" Liberman has to be at the top or very near it for me, and interestingly enough, nearly all of his former racecars are still out there and then some.

Here's the list of NHRA's top 50 and many of the best are included, but then there was also AHRA, IHRA, UDRA and the match race circuits.

<table align="center" width="450"><tbody><tr><td align="center" width="150">Position</td><td align="left" width="300">Name</td></tr> <!-- <tr><td align="center">XX.</td><td align="left">XXXXX</td></tr> --> <tr><td align="center"> 1.</td><td align="left">Don Garlits</td></tr> <tr><td align="center"> 2.</td><td align="left">John Force</td></tr> <tr><td align="center"> 3.</td><td align="left">Don Prudhomme</td></tr> <tr><td align="center"> 4.</td><td align="left">Bob Glidden</td></tr> <tr><td align="center"> 5.</td><td align="left">Shirley Muldowney</td></tr> <tr><td align="center"> 6.</td><td align="left">Kenny Bernstein</td></tr> <tr><td align="center"> 7.</td><td align="left">Warren Johnson</td></tr> <tr><td align="center"> 8.</td><td align="left">Bill Jenkins</td></tr> <tr><td align="center"> 9.</td><td align="left">Joe Amato</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">10.</td><td align="left">Dale Armstrong</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">11.</td><td align="left">Mickey Thompson</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">12.</td><td align="left">Lee Shepherd</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">13.</td><td align="left">Pat Austin</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">14.</td><td align="left">Eddie Hill</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">15.</td><td align="left">Ronnie Sox</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">16.</td><td align="left">Tom McEwen</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">17.</td><td align="left">Jim Liberman</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">18.</td><td align="left">Don Nicholson</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">19.</td><td align="left">Ed McCulloch</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">20.</td><td align="left">Raymond Beadle</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">21.</td><td align="left">Connie Kalitta</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">22.</td><td align="left">Pete Robinson</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">23.</td><td align="left">Jack Chrisman</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">24.</td><td align="left">Gary Beck</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">25.</td><td align="left">Tommy Ivo</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">26.</td><td align="left">Gene Snow</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">27.</td><td align="left">Jim Dunn</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">28.</td><td align="left">George Montgomery</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">29.</td><td align="left">Art Chrisman</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">30.</td><td align="left">Chris Karamesines</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">31.</td><td align="left">Dick LaHaie</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">32.</td><td align="left">Darrell Gwynn</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">33.</td><td align="left">Brad Anderson</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">34.</td><td align="left">Willie Borsch</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">35.</td><td align="left">Terry Vance</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">36.</td><td align="left">Blaine Johnson</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">37.</td><td align="left">Edmond Richardson</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">38.</td><td align="left">James Warren</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">39.</td><td align="left">Danny Ongais</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">40.</td><td align="left">Frank Manzo</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">41.</td><td align="left">John Mulligan</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">42.</td><td align="left">David Rampy</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">43.</td><td align="left">Frank Hawley</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">44.</td><td align="left">Dave Schultz</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">45.</td><td align="left">Scotty Richardson</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">46.</td><td align="left">Ken Veney</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">47.</td><td align="left">Billy Meyer</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">48.</td><td align="left">Malcolm Durham</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">49.</td><td align="left">Richard Tharp</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">50.</td><td align="left">Elmer Trett</td></tr> </tbody></table> <!-- End of Content Area --> <hr> <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"> <!--// function WinOpen() { open("/requirements.html", "window1", "width=630,height=545"); } //--> </script>

10. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

As a real young kid - Snake's Cuda For sure & Shoe's early Cuda's

As a Teen - Snake's ARMY Monza, Jungle's Blue Monza, The Blue Max Mustang, Pulde's War Eagle Firebird's & Pisano's Monza too.

As an Adult, Having more time to absorb the history & all that went into the cars as they were built & designed - Hands down Winner is the 1969 Chi Town Hustler Charger. ( all time best design & engineering outa a one car garage )

Very Honerable mentions - Mickey Thompsons Monoque Mustang & Dragster cage Pinto's - Dunn's rear motor car - Galabich's 4 wheel drive Vega Wagon - the 70 Vega Buttera Built for Shoe -

11. InPrimer

InPrimer

One more vote for Color Me gone.....Roger Lindamood

12. LZ

LZ

Theirs no way for me to pick, I love em all.....:confused:

I can tell you when it died though.......:rolleyes:

When Bernstein came out with that Reatta thing . I have never been excited about FC.s since.:eek:
    No Shit.

I see the Doc has arrived ... Here we go:(

13. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Most of the F/C from the 60's .. Until I dabbled in being a partner in one then it was my favorite because i was paying the Bill$

14. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'm probably the only one around that actually doesn't care that much for Funny cars.:eek:
    I was there during the growth of the SSers. You know real steel cars with doors and engines that we could relate to even if they had aluminum bumpers and altered wheel bases.

They lost me when they started bolting glass facsimiles on AA fuelers.

Oh yeah I was young but not a kid.

15. What the hell does that list have to do with your favorite Funny Car as a Kid??????

16. Rich1028

Rich1028

17. Bud

Bud
    from Orange, CA

My favorite..

[​IMG]

I was here that night, in fact I am probably in the background of this pic on my dads shoulders (RIP Dad)

[​IMG]

And by default, this deserves an honorable mention. (My Dad worked as a Wonder Bread delivery man) We always rooted for the Wonder car...

[​IMG]

18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Suicide King!

19. phat rat

phat rat

Well assuming a kid is under 21 yrs old, for me they hadn't been invented yet

20. art.resi

art.resi

Super stocks were a lot of fun. Also JJ's Brutus ans Hercules.
    Steel is the deal.

21. motorhead711

motorhead711

Man, I forgot about that one!! The green elephantwas a way cool. There was another killer green funny car in the late 70's that was sponsored by English Leather, I believe it was a camaro. I had that model as a kid.

22. Jungle Jim by far.
    1/2 track burnouts, back it up at 80mph and Jungle Pam showing him the way

[​IMG]

23. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

Great shot Lowkat! JJ rocked!

24. Bomber Frank

Bomber Frank

One of my favorite cars and one of the baddest shots of it.....
    I have a real soft spot for the 71/73 Mustangs, as a FC, they had to be one of the sexiest cars out there.

Attached Files:

25. rumblytruck

rumblytruck

Snake & 'Goose Hotwheels cars
    Ed the Ace Revellution Demon
    Pure Hell Demon

Thanks for those great pics guys. That restored Snake hauler RULES!

26. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

I grew up in Chicago....my grandmother's neighbors owned the Chi Town Hustler...I have fond memories of being a little kid and going to see the car in the trailer..

27. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

The 1969 Mickey Thompson Mach 1 Mustangs!
    I included a pic of me beside the Frantic Ford at Cayuga Dragway in Ontario, year 1972

Attached Files:

28. My all time favorite is the Pisano Bros. 1st Camaro, opening door, candy red, dark tinted windows, and a big bump over the blower, only pics I have are lousy.
    When I was a kid I lived around the corner from Joe, I used to ride my bike by his house hoping to catch a glimps of his AA/GS Willy's, one day I ride by and there sits the Camaro in the driveway out in the sun light, I almost crashed my bike, I think one of the Brothers musta heard me gasp, he turned and waved, I just stood there with my mouth open. I have never forgotten that feeling or that car... just like the first time I saw a naked woman in the flesh.. but that another story...

Attached Files: