Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Favorite car books from when you were young

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KMINAF, Feb 7, 2012.

1. KMINAF

KMINAF
    from Utah

I am curious as to what books you may have read as a kid. I remember ordering books from the Scholastic Bookclub where the teacher would hand out an order form that we could take home then beg our parents for money to buy the books that we wanted. I still have two from the 1960's "The Jeep" by Keith Robertson and "The Red Car" by Don Stanford.

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go Dog Go.

"Do you like my hat?"

"No, I do not like your hat."

Go Dog Go.

3. Motors Manual .... I had all the frontends of all the old iron memorized.

4. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

been reading repair manuals since i learned to read,seriously i would read page by page,i remember borrowing $10 for my at a garage sale for 15-20 old repair books-which i still have {but realy who's going to work on a 1927 Graham or 1918 Buick or hell even a 1918 Willys Overland???

5. rustdodger

rustdodger

'Dirt Track Summer" and others titles I've forgotten written by William Campbell Gault

6. primered_junk

primered_junk

I thought I was the only kid on earth that ever did that, I also read "Boy gets car" by Henry Gregor Felson at least 10 times, along with the CARtoons comic books.

7. Only book I ever recall my mom reading with me - that tree party looked (s) fun

8. TM 9-8000, Basic Principles of Automotive Vehicles. Read it from cover to cover when I was 10.

9. Street and strip :)

10. There's a whole bunch of posts regarding Henry Gregor Felson's books
    sometime back......if one would do a search. His daughter had even
    chimed in back then.

11. daddio211

daddio211

Just be sure to spell his last name FELSEN for the best info. Official website here: http://www.henrygregorfelsen.com/Henry_Gregor_Felsen/Welcome.html

Welcome from St. George, new guy.

12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

You'll probably also remember the short story in most everybody's high school American Lit class about the hot rod jeep in Korea.

13. fleet-master

fleet-master

loved reading about Gumdrop..from memory a stripped down Austin 7

14. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

My favorite was one in my elementary school library called "The Three-In-One Car", which told the story of a kid and his first car, a '49-'51 vintage Chevy fastback and how he rebuild it using parts from two other cars, hence the title. He ended up painting the car orange, which earned it the nickname "The Pumpkin". The last time I read it was more years ago than I care to remember, but I do recall it was very true-to-life. Would love to find a copy of that book now!

15. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

"Here is your hobby, Car Customizing" I checked it out so many times from the library that my Mom finally told me to stop. I bought a copy a few years ago on ebay.
    Has pictures of the Mysterion being built, Ed's 'Budget Buggy', and the R&C '60 starliner project. Felsen wrote it also.

16. khead47

khead47

I remember the Korean hot rod jeep story. Horsepower....not gears!

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Red Car was a favorite along with all of the Henry Gregor Felson books that I could drag off the bookmobile. I read a few by William Campbell Gault too.

18. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

An Austin Clifton heavy 12/4. A lot bigger than a 7!

19. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

My favorites were in order of best first:
    The Corgi book of cars from 1968 ( a fantastic book covering rallying, racing, development, history and stories)
    The open road. (a book from 1961 wonderfully illustrated documenting a trip to the coast in England in a smart new Hillman Minx convertible.)
    The Gumdrop stories about a 1920s Austin Clifton heavy 12/4.

20. Anything by Henry Gregor Felsen. 50 years later I'm trying to put together a complete collection of his original hardbacks.

21. 327Eric

327Eric

I remember a pictorial series of books, one was called"Drag Racing Funny cars" that i finally found a couple years back. They were aimed at the 6-8 year old crowd, but were printed in 1968, and jammed with neat old cars from the day. I was an advaced reader,and in third grade i found a book called "Dinosaur Cars" about the post WW11 independants. If i hadn,t found that one, i might have had a more normal car collection.

22. deuce354

deuce354

Young ? I still love my Felsen , & William Campbell Gault Books, I Still have everyone & still read them

23. One of the first books I ever had. Never thought about it...maybe it's the reason I love cars and dogs.

24. kleinbike

kleinbike
    from Nor Cal

I can't remember the title of it, but I was given a book as a kid in the 70's that was nothing but pictures of front ends of cars from the early 1900's up through about the early 70's. no writing other than the make, model, and year of the car. Loved that book. had some real oddball cars as well as a few customs if I remember right.

25. davedeltadog

davedeltadog

Chity Chity Gang Bang!

26. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

"Go Dog Go" was awesome, but I didn't like the tree party--I liked the parts with the cars!

A book called "Roar of Engines" by an author with the first name of John was great--all about a guy building a dragster to challenge the local car club, whose dragster was called the Black Widow.

Felsen's books were great--"Boy Gets Car" and "Hot Rod" especially.

And then no one else has mentioned this, but everything that Ed Radlauer ever did. He wrote these amazing books for young readers, in the '60s and '70s, that were mostly photos with a little text.

Topics weren't all HAMB-friendly--custom vans and minibikes were two--but taken together, they provided an amazing snapshot of the car/bike/boat/van scene at the time. Radlauer ruled.

27. Anything by Henry Gregor Felson
    Steve

28. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was a favorite. So was Ralph, the small mouse who rode a motorcycle. I think Beverly Cleary wrote that one.

29. kleinbike

kleinbike
    from Nor Cal

Half of a ping pong ball for a helmet. I'd forgotten all about that.