Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fauxtina paint job on a 63 Tbird

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ace'sSpeedshop, Aug 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mechanic58

mechanic58

I like a little 'teeth' action every now and then - just as long as she doesn't bite too hard.

2. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

So, it's a job well done, and I can appreciate that. I just can't dig fake patina though. Still, nice work.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. sqhd

sqhd

Hey, it's her car and if they both like it, WTH.

4. I think it's supposed to be an "old" race car..........

5. dirtpoor

dirtpoor
    from maryland

Got any old grease of the floor to wipe on the motor to make it look old also? Maybe you can take some new oil and put food coloring in it to tint the oil and wipe it all over the valve covers and air cleaner for just the right patina.

6. um, Jeff, stay with me here, but when the car was campaigned, it didnt have rust, now, 50 years later, it may have some.
    I like the car and the paint job, I dig it and am glad to see another on the road, I think you did a fantastic job on a rough canvas and made it work and she shouldnt have problems finding her car at the mall.
    I agree, some widened steelies and send her on down the road.

7. slammed

slammed

Expect to take some heat here for the imitation rust. Really did you expect anything less. Find a real crusty one put it on the road, win-win. Bottom line your portraying a lie. To fool people. Because, it's cool? Or the latest trend?

8. Alex D.

Alex D.
    from Hydes, MD.

Don't ask why, Ask why not.

Looks great , I like it.

9. kcbeardclub

kcbeardclub
    from KCMO

I completely agree, relax hardasses.... Everyone has their own idea of good looking. I think it looks pretty damn rad. It takes a certain amount of skill to pull of a good faux paint job. I have a buddy that has a 55 chevy 2500, was rolled white about 25 years ago and looks pretty damn close to that paint job. Good work my man.
    couth
    T

10. SwedishEinar

SwedishEinar

That looks really cool!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. towithome

towithome
    from oregun

Positive vibes from my seat! but I drive gravel roads and haven't washed my chevelle in 2 years. Seriously, that shit's inspiring, an artist's work for sure!! You're close, maybe I'll get to see it sometime??

12. ricco

ricco

Nice detail and totally believable. I can appreciate the work. It's not my style, but who cares, it's not my car!!

13. White05GT

White05GT
    from NC

Looks like a 64 Tbird to me. Looks like you did a good job on it, just not something I'm into at all but it's not my car.

14. mt94ss

mt94ss

If you can't find it, build it. Nice!

15. Very well done. How about some detail? What paint did you use for the base? The top coat? Can you tell us about your sand-through methods? How did you spot in the rust? Great job on the lettering, too.

Dave

16. 66slabside

66slabside

I think different is good. If all of our cars were bright shiny red,black, yellow etc it would be boring. You have great talent IMHO.
    But the only question I haven't seen asked yet is:
    Is it race car fast? That would be the icing on the cake!

17. gordspeed

gordspeed
    from Oregon

Very Cool, I like! :)

(I think some of the others would prefer Baby Blue Lacquer, chrome reverse wheels and a job at the roller rink!)

18. 95ttoplt1

95ttoplt1
    from Tennessee

Anyone in this thread would have killed to have that as their first car. Good job. I think it looks cool.

19. In person, Ive never seen fake patina look realistic. But you did a great job on this '64 tbird. It is great not to worry about small chips and scratches on your ride. I guess this is a way to really enjoy the car without being nervous. I love it.

20. I dig it. post pics of process. We are planning a patina paint job at school and would like to show the process to students.

21. I kinda like it. I would look at it and think it might have been a top-secret test mule out of the Holman-Moody shop that somehow escaped being destroyed. Obviously you have the skills to do a "real" paint job if she changes her mind down the road. I say good on you. It certainly is a conversation starter.

22. It's not for me but when I see young kids getting into old cars I'm happy.
    It's better than a euro/Asian tin can fart pipe POS.

23. ......You can say that twice...........well usually only once with the coffee can pipe!:)

24. Actually, the more I look the more I like. Reminds me of the models I used to build.

25. CRFyou

CRFyou

Different people have different tastes. That's no big deal to me.

The important question though... Does it really have a 390? Or is that part of the theme?

26. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

I like it it looks good. Great job. My old 33 was orange and red oxide. I wasn't going to do full bodywork and paint, so it got a faux job on it with new colors, loved it and it got a lot of compliments. Plus paint only cost $30 bucks....

27. mphudak

mphudak
    from Atlanta

Looks Good!

A bit off topic, and I prob should be embarrassed for asking this. What's up w/the Lafayette racecar's I've seen? I grew up in Fayetteville and remember the dealership, but know nothing about there racing history.

28. ....I think they sponsored Fred Lorenzen.

29. Thumper

Thumper

Lafayette Ford was in Fayetteville North Carolina...

30. Strike #1: That 'Bird's a '64, NOT a '63!
    Ball #1: Why in the world would someone want to make a car look like it's a clapped-out POS?
    Ball #2: Making a car that was never raced in NASCAR look like one.
    Strike #2: The whole faux patina concept (or, for that matter, patina as worthy of drooling over);
    And, lastly,
    Strike #3: Taking a perfectly good looking T-bird and spending time and labor to make it look rough when it could have been refinished to be so much nicer.

OK, I'm biased when it comes to T-birds, but as a professor of mine once noted, "Concerning taste, there is no dispute." This one's leaving my taste buds a little bitter, but the car can eventually be corrected once little Missy gets tired of the novelty thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.