Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Faux aged lettering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeddoman, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Jeddoman

Jeddoman

I know this has been asked before but I can't find it. If anyone can help or point me to previous replies that would be great. I am looking for ways to make lettering look old. I have been asked to put lettering on a Jeep with original patina and the customer wants it to look like it has always been there. Any suggestions?

2. look up josh shaw...he's on here alot..him and his old man dan really know their shit when it comes to that sorta thing...and there was some threads on it a while back...good luck

T. Hilton

3. Kerry67

Kerry67

Didn't Car Craft or one of the magazines just do an artilce on this recently? Seems to me like they did one in the last few months.

4. Weasel

Weasel

Oh man, that's getting to be so 'gay' already.... faux this, faux that and B'ville and Dry Lakes wannabes....:(

5. Daddyfink

Daddyfink

Suggestion #1 - Talk him out of it and sell him a new paint job

6. fms427

fms427

Really pretty easy - on my Crosley, I just painted the numbers - using "one-shot" sign paint, then sanded them with fine grit paper ( 600, I think) when dry. Just keep sanding until you are satisfied. Was not originally planning to "faux" it, but numbers looked MUCH too shiny for this car !!:D

[​IMG]

7. New letters on new finish and old letters on old finish.:D My 2 cents. Keep it simple and it'll look great!

8. Mumbles

Mumbles
    from PNW

I heard somewhere that mixing 1 shot with a little baby powder helps with the aging look.

9. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

Here are a couple of pics I just did for Southern Speed Shop's "shop truck". As you can see they were choppin' the top as I was lettering it.
    On this job, I lettered it w/One Shot and after it set up a few hours, I dipped an old worn out red scotchbrite pad into some mineral spirits and gently rubbed it until it got the look I was after. On something that's all old paint, not cool lookin' rusty metal, after it sets up a few hours, I'll go over it gently with rubbing compound on a shop rag. You just hafta be careful not to give it a "polished" look around the lettering. Lotsa Luck!
    Joe

Attached Files:

Spooky likes this.
  10. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

I've used baby powder to age striping, but I didn't mix it with the paint. After it started to tack up, I rubbed the powder over the top of the striping to "dull it out".
    Gives it a neat look.

11. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

You can mix talcum powder into paint to flatten it, when doing a whole car.

12. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Everything said above is ABSOLUTLY correct.. Its best to do the "ageing" when its just tacked up.. (Dry enough to run your fingers over it LIGHTLY but if you pushed hard on it, it would leave a finger print) Doing the ageing at this time will actually "mix" or "rub" the Under color of the vehicle into the One Shot for a great look.

Keep searching for Examples. It helps to look at other work, and see what looks good, and what doesn't.

Street Rodder and R&C have done very detailed articles on it. Check out there Websites.

...and remember, It's not Rocket Science.. It's actually hard to screw it up. You'll laugh when it's done at how easy it really is.

Joshua Shaw

13. Bman416

Bman416

14. pullinlines

pullinlines
    from indy

the way that i've used is to over reduce the 1-shot more than what you would normally reduce. good luck!

15. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Ya but what about Faux you?????? Josh knows his shit and if its done right it can add a lot to a vehicles looks...
    We need less input like yours and more how too's
    Your welcome
    And have a nice day
    Dave

Spooky likes this.
  16. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

If I paint on my door now, by the time I get around to fixing up my '30.. my letters
    will be faded and wore out for real.... :)

17. GulfCoastGasser

GulfCoastGasser
    from Gulf Coast

So true Rodz.
    All my jobs aquire that aged look before I am done with them!:D

18. Gator

Gator

19. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

scotchbrite and time...

[​IMG]

20. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

Kirby Stafford of Dillahay Street Rods did mine a month or so ago. Used mineral spirits after is started drying. I really dig it, so I guess that's all that matters.

Attached Files:

21. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

And in the overall scheme of things...ain't that what it's all about?

22. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

In the words of Ed McMahon "You are correct, sir!"

23. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Way over reduce...I like laquer thinner, it sets up fast. Then baby powder as a flattener, when dry, wet sand with 800 and up gently, don't leave sand marks. Remember, the sun tends to fade more at the top first. Make it look like it is worn thin, not sanded.