Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fatman Trick tie Rod Set up..Any thoughts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tokyo, Dec 30, 2006.

1. I am going to get the fatman "trick" tie rod end assembly (50 merc) and wanted to know if anyone has used it? sounds great and ALOT easier than dealing with the stock stuff.

Anyone got any opinions or comments about it.

thanks,
    tok

2. Got a pic ?

Or a link ?

3. butch27

butch27

We all have opinions and comments here but what the heck are we suppose to be commenting about??

4. If you have used it, seen it on a car, know a guy who uses it or otherwise I would like to know. I got a 50 merc, and want to use it.

The fatman system (http://www.fatmanfab.com/07page18.htm) looks great and just want to know if it is good or not.

tok

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Zoo York

Zoo York
    from Zoo York

I just bought it for my car. I got them because I flipped the spindles and are also using the fatman dropped steering arms.I didn't install it yet because I have to take the pass side header off because the long bolt that holds the idler arm to the frame is pretty long.It's a nicely made setup.I'm probally going to install it tommorow.I'll take pics while I do it.

6. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

Well Hey, What could go wrong? One thing, the Nova oil pan is a bit pricey(had to have one on our first drag car) Normal Norman

7. nova pan is for the ford though..there isn't a mention of needing on for a merc.

zoo york..please do. great tech article possibility.

tok

8. Stafford

Stafford
    from N. Georgia

I bought em didn't help a damned thing save your money. rebuild the stock stuff.

9. Stafford

Stafford
    from N. Georgia

Matter of fact I bought the dropped spindles, dropped arms trick tie rods, and I never could get the 50 ford to drive worth a dam. I had a bunch of money in all that stuff and ended up selling it to Slammy here on the hamb. I thought I sold him a helluva deal in it probably half price or maybe less and helped him out on the shipping. I'd like to hear how he made out with it.

10. Zoo York

Zoo York
    from Zoo York

My wife was bothering the shit out of me today so all I could do was take a snap of what the kit includes. I should have a write up tommorow..
    [​IMG]

11. Zoo York

Zoo York
    from Zoo York

Took some more today..
    Here is the mounting block for the idler arm installed using factory bolt holes.The Idler are attatches to the metal blocks tapped holes.
    [​IMG]
    Next you put the tie rods together with the centerlink.
    [​IMG]
    Then attatch the centerlink hole to the idler arm.
    [​IMG]
    Also attatch the tie rods to the steering arms. and so on..
    [​IMG]
    Next all you have to do is get a alignment

12. Zoo york,

That looks great. You made that look really easy. Are the blocks included from fatman and did you have any issues with the oil pan??

thanks,
    tok

13. Zoo York

Zoo York
    from Zoo York

I didn't take a picture of that but it clears by a couple of inches. I still have the flathead in the car but fatman said it wouldn't be a problem with a chevy/ford id you get the right oil pans for them.The one block you see in the picture is included in the kit..