Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fathers Day - Was Your Dad A Car Guy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Offset, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

My Dad loved the car races but I don't think he really was a "car guy". He did the maintenance on his cars but he never really seemed to have a passion for them. My Dad has been gone a long time now but I still miss him.

So I ask. Was your Dad a "car guy"?

2. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

My dad loved old cars too.......and man did that ever rub off on me! My mom's life was full of health problems so dad never really had the money to buy the old car that he wanted, which was a '39 Ford convertible.....just like he had when he was 17. I always wanted to bless him with that car again but wasn't able to. Dad....thanks for everything and giving me the passion to turn wrenches. I sure miss you

3. 1000 % Yes. I miss that dude.

4. oldskewl

oldskewl

My dad is definitely a "car guy." I've heard so many stories about his racing and car builds. He loved his old Buick Riviera and told me he even had 3 Corvairs at one point in time that he used to build one good driving one. My mom always jokes about the amount of cars he's had and sold. I must be following in his footsteps because my insurance jokingly told me how I've had 19 cars insured through them. That's only the ones they knew about. lol

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yep, he was. Taught me how to maintain them and respect them. He tried a few times to build a hotrod, but raising 4 kids and being in the Air Force got in the way. In 1974, after we had moved to Houston, he took my brother and I to our first car show.

Late that night, I was in the kitchen drawing hot rods. He came in and told me, "Ya know, if you get your shit together and work hard, you'll have one, one day."

He was right. Every time I walk out to go for a drive, I imagine how cool it would have been for him to see my T. I miss him every day.

6. My Dad loves cars , he bought his first after WWII a 38 Dodge coupe . Never a hot rodder but he did lots of mods on them shaved heads,domed pistons,overdrive units and all his own body work . Still likes cars at 91 but he's happy with a new one every 2 years . He is however looking forward to going for a drive in the Mercury pickup that Ian and I are finishing up this summer .

7. dblgun

dblgun

Still alive and kicken and drives his wedge powered 63 Belvedere to breakfast with the boys several mornings a week.

8. fsae0607

fsae0607

Oh yeah. Taught me much of what I know.

He's been helping me R&R the head on my Colorado the last few weekends. Nothing like turning wrenches and drinking beer with the old man!

9. 32Auburn

32Auburn
    from Oregon

My dad wasn't and yet he spawned me, my son isn't really but wants me to give him a finished car, gears must skip a generation sometimes.

10. hotrodhoodlum

hotrodhoodlum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

my dad was a car guy always buying and selling
    we always had to check before getting into a car whether we still owned it
    I guess that is were I learned it from
    my dad has been gone a long time but I still look for him in a crowd
    love and miss you dad

11. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I blame him for my incurable sickness, everytime I go out into my garage and realize how lucky I have been. R.I.P. Dad I miss you .

This photo of my Dad in his prime. :)

Attached Files:

12. No, not really a car guy but a helluva mechanic and welder that could fix anything. He taught me much of what I know....thanks Pop. Miss ya.

13. No,cars were just for transportation,,I had to learn on my own in dark alleys and running around with seedy characters. :D HRP

14. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

My Dad was never a car guy, but he did appreciate cars. I resto-modded a 1938 Plymouth pickup in the mid to late '80's that he thought was pretty cool, so I gave it to him. I know he got some pleasure driving it around town on occasion. It probably reminded him of the good old days. He passed away three years ago. Sure wish he was here, I would give him my '32. Happy Father's Day, Dad, you were the BEST!!

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My Dad wasn't. He was a trucker, and resented the squirrels that would take chances in traffic, cut trucks off, saw a few fatals that jerks caused. (he called 'em 'hot rodders', the year was 1953 and the Cali newspapers were full of headlines:
    "Hot Rods to be banned in Calif.", etc.)

I was reading Hot Rod magazine, (Dad's sister bought me a lifetime subscription!) much to his chagrin.
    One night I showed him an article, about a father-and-son team that was campaigning a dragster. (I had been working on him, I was 12 and wanted to get in on the Hot Rod action!)
    He skimmed the article, and asked "I wonder if this is the Ed Losinski that I know..."
    Dad got on the phone, and soon was talking with his longtime bud Ed.
    It was the same Ed Losinski, of Losinski and sons trucking.

Finally got him to take me to the races, we went twice.
    Then, on All Souls' Day, 1954, he was killed in an accident. Yeah...I look for him in crowds, too...

16. Con Safos

Con Safos

oh yeah, pops was and still is a car guy!!! He is the only reason that I am too. SLEDS are his thing!

17. BaBa

BaBa

No but he was a hotrodder.
    He put blown 3-71s in our 2 Allis Chambers HD5 tractors. I think they originally came with 2-52's. They would spin the tracks in 4th gear.
    He put a V8 in our deuce and a half International.
    He replaced the 350 that came in his 1 ton Chevy work truck with a 454.
    His motto was "There is no substitute for cubic inches".
    He was a hell of a fabricator, welder and mechanic.
    Yeah I miss him.

18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

My Dad was cool most of the time,he could make anything out of wood and fair mec. too! We built a home made sports car kind of together in the 1950's,a "H-mod" for SCCA racing;):D:cool:,It started out as my car ,a Crosely Hot Shot running on 2 of the 4 clys.I got for $75,but he some how took it over and did what he wanted and he raced it. So that was fun.,But I had no car for me.
    I found 1928 "A" roadster that way messed up bad an dragged it home that he didn't like much[I did]. But I had to buy another car cuz it going to take a long time to make what was left of "A" into a hotrod,he gave me my $75 back and I got a Henry J with a broke tranny,he help me fix,and let me work on both my cars as he played with his H-mod. So with out Dad it would been a lot harder for sure,Thanks Dad

19. This thread should remind you guys that are fortunate enough to still have your fathers,make sure you make a effort to go see him Sunday or call him if he lives far away.

I sure miss my dad. HRP

20. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

my dad always kept his cars washed and waxed. other that that he was an asshole

21. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1371254448.661830.jpg Still is. Here he is showing me how to paint.

22. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Yes he was. My older brother rode home in a blown flathead powered '39 Ford Coupe in '49. I rode home in a '27 Roadster pickup with a flathead with dual '97's. After me, my Dad got out of cars although he did have a stock '34 Ford Sedan as a daily in the early '50's. When overheads came out, he quit working on cars. From '60 on, he made me fix is new cars.............

23. Bluedot

Bluedot

Nope - I was first in my family. I can remember one time as a kid in the late 50s. We 3 kids riding with Dad going somewhere on the thruway in CT. On the right, coming up an on ramp, here comes a '56 Ford with two guys in it, gittin' after it bangin' gears and layin' some scratch. While I'm grinnin' ear to ear in the back seat, my Dad (Mr Conservative) says, "I wonder why anybody would want to tear up their car like that." He still doesn't "get it" in that sense, but he's one helluva man and I love and respect him. 94 and still driving daytime (prolly shouldn't be:eek:). I'm headed east to visit him next week.

24. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Well said and I couldn't agree more.....

25. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

This is so well said.......couldn't agree more

26. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

My dad sure is. He was involved in both Drag racing and Dirt track racing, Managed a local drag strip for a time, was president of a Midwest Sprint car Assoc. for a term and also was a founding member of a local volunteer rescue squad that at one time was recognized as one of the best in the country. I am lucky he is still with us. He is getting pretty old now and man he has some great stories.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  27. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Yep! Always has been, always will be. Most everything he ever owned got wheels, paint, stripes, lowered, dual exhaust or all of the above. He is finally working on his 36 Ford Tudor Flatback that he has had since 1970.
    His cooler stuff as I remember it..
    56 Chevy 210 4dr
    64 Impala SS
    36 Ford
    30 Model A Sedan
    70 Kingswood Wagon
    64 1/2 Mustang Coupe
    55 Series 1
    62 Ford Unibody F100
    69 El Camino

28. Definatly a car guy, not so much a hot rodder though, Dad was on the lookout for a '59 Dodge Custom Royal. I would love to find one to build in his honor. He was a great person and the inspiration for how I live my life, and my love of mopars! Miss him every day, cherish the time you have with them!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

My Dad was a mechanic by trade and a damned good one. The only cars I ever saw him get excited about were the big Chryslers. His real passion was playing country music. He taught me how to work on cars though and since I didn't do it for a living I enjoy it a lot more then he did probably.